Alternative to Sawyer permethrin spray.

G3 Ranch

Was looking for a comparable cheaper spray and found this.
784ca979a4b84108ac4a9df72853fb18.jpg
c2fd9afd0a6d429e932ec7cf728c4401.jpg

Picked up a gallon off eBay. Been using it about a month, works just as well, water based...around 25.00/ gal

We've been using this from TSC, it cost about $20 and makes 5.5 gallons mixed at the same strength as Sawyers, just mix it in a plastic 1 quart sprayer. View attachment 7935

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
I don't want to stir up trouble but this stuff is not for use on your clothing. Do some research before using this it is oil based and doesn't dry like water based permethrin. It is an area spray. I use it on our camping spot and it works well for that. There was a lengthly discussion about this on another forum I visit.

I don't want to stir up trouble but this stuff is not for use on your clothing. Do some research before using this it is oil based and doesn't dry like water based permethrin. It is an area spray. I use it on our camping spot and it works well for that. There was a lengthly discussion about this on another forum I visit.

Just curious, what's the dangers associated with it?

It's a fact that when dry permethrin is not harmful to humans. The oil based sprays don't dry as fast or as completely as the water based types. What the long term effects are I don't know, I do know it is a poison that you're not supposed to come in contact with when wet. I can't remember the name of the concentrate but there is only a few that are approved for human use. You can find it on Amazon .

It's a fact that when dry permethrin is not harmful to humans. The oil based sprays don't dry as fast or as completely as the water based types. What the long term effects are I don't know, I do know it is a poison that you're not supposed to come in contact with when wet. I can't remember the name of the concentrate but there is only a few that are approved for human use. You can find it on Amazon .
I am curious about recommendations for treating clothes and would like to learn more. Which forum we're you reading and what sources have you seen? My initial search turns up lots of info from the Sawyer company and I was hoping for non commercial testing source. You comment makes me wonder about sweating in treated clothes and also the safety of treating children's clothing. Any tips on where to learn more are appreciated.

I can't remember which forum I read that on. I wish I could because there was several pages of discussion. The risk of contacting a tick born illness out weighs any possibility of harm from the permethrin. You just have to use the right concentrate. I'll see if I can find that forum, it may take me a day or two.

I found it! It's on the OLDGOBBLER turkey hunting forum in the general discussion forum , the topic is Homemade permethrin tick spray need help. There's 7 pages of discussion.

Just curious...You can spray the stuff from Tractor Supply on livestock but you can't spray it on clothes? The label seems to indicate that it's not just an area spray.
I'm not arguing with you. I use Permethrin often and I want to understand.

I am curious about recommendations for treating clothes and would like to learn more. Which forum we're you reading and what sources have you seen? My initial search turns up lots of info from the Sawyer company and I was hoping for non commercial testing source. You comment makes me wonder about sweating in treated clothes and also the safety of treating children's clothing. Any tips on where to learn more are appreciated.
A few years ago, I did some planning for a paddle trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Northern Mn (the state bird is a mosquito!). There is a forum dedicated to the BWCA with a few discussions on the subject of treating clothes and gear with permethrin. Seems to be a fairly common treatment in that part of the bug-infested world.
Here's a link to one of the discussions...
http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadId=338264&forumID=15&confID=1

A few years ago, I did some planning for a paddle trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Northern Mn (the state bird is a mosquito!). There is a forum dedicated to the BWCA with a few discussions on the subject of treating clothes and gear with permethrin. Seems to be a fairly common treatment in that part of the bug-infested world.
Here's a link to one of the discussions...
http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadId=338264&forumID=15&confID=1
Thanks for the info. I have always wanted to explore the boundary waters.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I have thought about using this stuff, I think I'll pass after reading the label. My kids & grandkids use the JT Eaton that I have, wouldn't want them using the animal/area mix even if I did..

Just part of the label from Gordon's Permethrin 10;

First Aid If on skin or on clothing:
Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15 - 20 minutes. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice. If in eyes: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eye. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice. If inhaled: • Move person to fresh air. • If person is not breathing, call 911 or an ambulance, then give artificial respiration, preferably by mouth-to-mouth, if possible. • Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment advice.
If swallowed: • Immediately call a poison control center or doctor. • Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor. • Do not give any liquid to the person. • Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Have the product container or label with you when calling a poison control center or doctor or going for treatment. For additional information in case of emergency, call toll free 1-877-800-5556.
Note to Physician and Veterinarians: Contains petroleum distillates. Vomiting may cause aspiration pneumonia.
Environmental Hazards This pesticide is extremely toxic to aquatic organisms, including fish and invertebrates: Do not apply directly to water, or to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean water

Last edited:
I think that ^^^^^^^ pretty much answers why you shouldn't use area sprays on clothing. Most critters don't have the life span of humans. Long term affects may never show up on an animal, who knows what might show up later in our lifetime.

We loved it. My wife often talks about going back. PM me if you'd like any details of our route or trip planning.
It will be a few years before my kids are old enough for big adventures like the boundary Waters. Thanks for your generosity in offering info.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Back