Alfalfa Project

Keep in mind we suffered through a mild winter and we are now seeing temps usually not seen for another month.

Alfalfa is doing awesome and coming on strong. Need it to dry out enough I can get some Potash spread!

IMG_1376_zpstgwjjy5d.jpg

Here is a close up

IMG_1378_zpsmr3r1swc.jpg

Last years wet conditions and my decision to spray actually paid off but there are still areas where plants were killed out due to grass/weeds being flattened. There are many areas where my "tracks" are still visible from spraying last spring. In the first picture you can see some of the tracks from spraying last year, they are not planting skips.

As with anything, there is one corner that sees a lot of traffic and in this area, it is pretty evident that it is being hammered, even if they did not have a highway entering the field. This "cow path" is just from deer and a few other small wild animals. The alfalfa is going to struggle in this area and I may seed with some more to thicken this corner up a tad.

IMG_1380_zps22izpwes.jpg

I did check the other area that was just mowed last year and there is a pretty good stand coming up but there are areas where large thick clumps of grass and weeds took it's toll. Will have to over seed several areas of the other plot and this area has enough percentage of weeds that it will need sprayed as soon as conditions are right. The main field where the pictures are taken remains mostly weed free at this point and I would surmise that with harvesting will not be an issue, but we shall see.

Just hope mother nature cooperates this year!

And just a quick note. I do have some Winter Rye in an area close to this alfalfa that is being hammered with limited growth.

IMG_1381_zps6zt6pajf.jpg

The Alfalfa is still going strong. Basically weed free!

A91A1C30-A0CB-42F9-B0B5-41E8C12CAC30_zpsn3iqag4f.jpg

And a close up.

8DCBD07D-C5E0-46F1-BFB2-FDA6EAF4B3CB_zps34x2osww.jpg

Now as a comparison here are a couple shots from the plot which was mowed with a bush hog.

95596EF1-AA84-4D50-80FA-470DD2B21279_zpskqdhe1v2.jpg

And a close up for comparison. It is not all as weedy as this picture but there is a notable weed coverage of this area, well above the weed threshold.

5BEBE81B-3192-4C75-84BD-D6008C3B3C46_zpsu116v14z.jpg

Both areas photographed on the same day shows a very different story. The plot that was traditionally harvested is very clean and the bushhogged plot really needs sprayed. The bushhogged plot has a decent alfalfa crop but the maintenance will be higher just based on the density of weeds. In your opinion, is there a clear winner as far as maintenance?

The weekend was filled with A/C issues, Allergies, and tire problems. That being said, purchased fore RR Alfalfa to replant the two small fields where weeds overtook the alfalfa planted last year. On April 7, I tilled these two areas in a weed control effort. The soil was a touch damp and just didn't get a consistent weed kill. Chemical burndown was not as option due to temperature at the time.

Before planting we decided we would be money ahead to do a second round of tillage besides spraying as temps finally remained high enough spraying would be effective. Another consideration was the first till left the ground a touch wavy. Just not good when we will be harvesting these fields.

Anyway on Monday I was able to drill the seeds with a forecast of rain expected over the next couple of weeks.

During planting of these areas, I wanted to address an issue experienced by those using a drill. Changing soil conditions are not only the consideration of farmers covering large fields, but also food plotters. The following two pictures wee taken in the same field but look at the difference in how deep the openers are going. Since the seeds are so small they need to be kept in the top quarter inch of soil. The best way to address this is to use the small seed box. Seeds dribble out and land on top of the soil just ahead of the firming wheels in an action just like broadcasting and cultipacking.

In this picture you will see the coulters are going deeper than necessary but to how soft the seedbed was. The openers are running very shallow and the packing wheels are keeping contact and pushing seeds into the soil profile.

9E832CD9-58F7-4F4D-9BF9-7CC90A55F007_zpsvrz8mnir.jpg

In this picture you an see the openers are running deeper but the seeding depth is consistent with seeds right on top of the soil. This is a close up and you can see the blue seeds, larger pile due to tube buildup, than actual seeding rate.but it shows well where seeds need to be and how muh difference can be seen in the same area.

0D50E31C-7D58-46D5-AAF3-D25DEDCA76C6_zpswntaqu0l.jpg

Areas were no-tilled replanted in the field that was just mowed last year to fill in some dead spots. Sorry I did not get any pictures of that.

The new plantings of Alfalfa are just starting to come in. Think we missed all the rain since planting until yesterday when I took these pictures, I think we dad about 3/10 inch. Hopefully the plants will pop now and get to 3rd trifoliate so I can clean up the grass that is also getting a foothold.

E62CEEB5-38FA-4609-9C32-1327CC747D97_zpsqowsgi2z.jpg

80084186-C470-4506-B897-B397E147F28F_zpsrxfsatd8.jpg

I did not get a picture, sorry I did not have my phone with me, of the area I no-till drilled alfalfa in the third field where I just mowed for weeds last year. I had went in a week ago and no-tilled into areas where alfalfa had drowned out / been overtaken by weeds. I pulled into the field and there was a big dead area, including RR alfalfa which was established last year. Looks like the guy from the co-op didn't turn and follow the corn end rows but drove right up the fence row also spraying my Alfalfa. From the looks of the edges they sprayed with a mix of RU and 2-4-d as I see small specks of dead on every leaf for about 10 yards in. That folks is drift, I just hope they survive. I doubt the seed I planted will do anything now as even if it germ, the short residual from 2-4-d will likely smoke it. On the upside, I should have a very clean place to no-till into again.

The established area that was harvested last year is still mostly weed free and looking well. Just a little bit of weevil activity but not enough to spray, at lest for now. Will keep checking it on a 7 day schedule and if I notice more activity, will begin checking every two days.

90889462-1E52-43DA-AB36-37AEAAE673B6_zpsispyhpoc.jpg

6F67729D-82F5-419C-AB8B-D919241943BB_zpstnoobehf.jpg

Finally got around to spaying the alfalfa seedlings today. Spayed with 1.5 qt per acre of Gly with a little bit of crop oil + surfactant (about 2 qt per 150 gallon)

Spray went on at 5 MPH with 5 mph winds and 50% humidity. 30 PSI got me to apply just shy of 20 gal of mixture per acre.

7CCA33A2-8698-4C98-B460-C68D03F8D525_zpsqdx7jmso.jpg

As can be seen there is quite a bit of grass starting. There is one patch of yellow nutsedge so lets see what happens with it at the above rates.

FDA27372-02D6-42A3-AAEC-9D0B52439B04_zpskvoz1yhd.jpg

Now for the area of alfalfa planted last year one only mowed. There is some alfalfa hidden under the weeds. Hit this with just shy of 2 qt per acre of Gly. As for the rest of the plot, this is what happens when the co-op messes up and sprays part of your alfalfa with a burndown of 24D+Gly. It also took out what I had just replanted in areas that drowned out last year. I have to get with the farmer there to make certain exactly what was sprayed. Seed is too expensive not to make certain.

8E064191-4555-4408-AEFC-0ADA0B47A676_zps4j9m0w3v.jpg

And here is the aftermath after being hit with burndown herbicide.

04D78819-0E80-4D99-9AD6-BB0A15DC0846_zpsribi2tlb.jpg

5/26/16 Update

I had a couple minutes to spare today so went and checked on the alfalfa. The established field is still 98% weed free

A0847FE6-7C51-42CE-82FC-71DC065668CE_zpsmg2pii5v.jpg

Where I sprayed the new plantings with Gly the spray is already working well. This should take a lot of competition away from the Alfalfa seedlings.

Realize that I used the lower rate of Gly but from experience knew it would be enough to take out the young problem grasses.

DEC99F9D-C659-4681-B703-1AF62962DAC7_zpswixn7ikk.jpg

And even when using such things as GPS, I still missed a small spot. See the difference a couple days can make with a well applied mix?

1D273BB6-08B6-42E3-AA85-21143266BB44_zpsnby3gu4w.jpg

Update 5/31/16

Grasses are toast in the alfalfa and the alfalfa is kicking into high gear.

CB60161C-7580-4319-80AA-9C09B2B98FEB_zpsrkneusam.jpg

The sedge has turned sickly yellow and I forgot to download a picture of it. Sorry.

One field of alfalfa is laying flat. Not to worry, it is supposed to be that way after it gets mowed. Only one thing smells as good as turned dirt, and that is fresh mowed alfalfa!

E20601B4-0C3A-4A0A-8BC0-A1D64F6A9C60_zpsmus6qdo5.jpg

72A726E2-7EEB-47DB-8E44-ADE9DCEBDF90_zps2r5fhhgz.jpg

Was able to get out there when it was being cut. Timing was about right and the hay guy said it was about 10 to 15% bloom, perfect for cutting for hay. Later today I should have pictures of windrows and some bales on the ground.

Been 21 days since receiving any rain and corn is starting to roll. Beans are hanging in but the alfalfa is still going to town. The reason Alfalfa is still doing well is due to the long tap root. The tap roots can go down 10+ feet which is why alfalfa does better planted in deep soils. Deep down there is still moisture in the soil even when looking at almost a month without rain.

Windrows made and then baled. Removed approximately 1.5 ton per acre for first cutting. Just think how much there would have been if the deer had not been munching away. Food plotters want deer to eat what they plant and farmers want deer to stay out. I figure deer have already removed at least a ton per acre as the top of almost every plant had been nipped, comes right out of my pocket.

18B9D469-D44A-40E0-84AE-C2C68D0030CF_zpsqbb1zlzg.jpg

It has been a busy day so did not get as much accomplished as I needed but I did get these two pictures of the yellow nutsedge from the other field spring planted to alfalfa this year. As I posted earlier this area was sprayed May 23rd with one qt 41% Gly plus about .5 Qt crop oil. The grasses were crispy in no time and the sedge looked sickly for a while. As can be seen in the next two pictures, You can control Yellow Nutsedge with Gly, but a second application may be required. As you can tell the sedge is mostly dead, but there is some green left so I will need to spot spray these areas for a second round to achieve the control I desire.

2F99CD42-0979-40E5-BFB5-8A4120C8B517_zps4x7kxvbn.jpg

And a second spot

5734AB05-FA0E-4071-AD83-FEB7DFF64EB5_zpstiyqj54u.jpg

As can be seen, the Alfalfa is doing well and the grasses were kept at bay. The Alfalfa is basically canopied at this stage and remains basically weed free except for the couple patches of Sedge. There are a few areas with less than ideal plant growth but I will have a chance to reseed closer to this fall.

When I go in to spot spray, I will also take out the grasses around the perimeter of the alfalfa as looking ahead there will not be grass mixed in the bales.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

Now for the mowed only part of the Alfalfa project. The stand is not as thick as the area we have been harvesting. If I recall they were planted at the same rate but during the establishment year it was too wet for the Alfalfa. This area is not drained as well as my other fields, and the weed competition hit it pretty hard during the establishment year.

The area has just been sprayed one time this year, documented earlier in this thread, at 2 qt per acre rate of Gly. Most of the weeds are dead but there are a few starting back so it appears another spraying may be in order. If I do spray, I will wait until the alfalfa starts growing again and the main target weed will be the grasses. You can see the remnants of some of the broadleaf weeds still standing erect in the alfalfa.

Here is a photo showing a section of what remains of the 2 acres of Alfalfa as it appears on today's date.

F8157A6F-1A47-4DC7-9174-9087060B8D0F_zpsiq0rqbnj.jpg

Here is a close up of the alfalfa and remnants of the weeds.

28D11BC2-3D83-4BDD-A959-FB41089B7928_zpskjzckwd4.jpg

Pictures Depending at what angle you view from the stand can look very thick. In some places it actually is very thick. I mowed today and while there is a bit left in patches, it is mostly sitting on stop of the remaining stubble so regrowth should not be hindered. If it was packed down, I would not expect a very good outcome.

In this photo we can look at the line from the earlier spraying by the coop when they were spraying the burn-down for the beans planted against the alfalfa. If you look closely you can see where the spray drifted and took out earlier broad-leafs while not entirely taking out the alfalfa. Where the Alfalfa received a full dose, it is no longer there. I should note the area that was sprayed right after I no tilled in more alfalfa did not take as expected from earlier observations. On the other side of the plot, the no-tilled alfalfa is growing and while not real thick, it is at least there.

5FA31421-9191-4A98-82CA-CADE9A4BB0F8_zps3blz3gvk.jpg

241067AB-E0B7-4F71-B63E-C33E8FF0B13A_zpswjqtbcvs.jpg

The alfalfa is thicker than it appears. Mowing is necessary due to the natural way Alfalfa stems get woody starting at the bottom and continuing upwards as the plant matures. Alfalfa grows to a point then it will send another shoot up from where the earlier stem ended. This jointed growing characteristic means to keep the Alfalfa tender, one needs to cut on a pretty regular basis to keep the most tender amount available.

629E6087-7654-4BFD-B01E-75F89AA98211_zpswgpw5hox.jpg

Hopefully one can see from the next photo what I described earlier as the cut portion that kind of globs up, is sitting on top of the cut portions.

E4BD2DF1-CF4F-46BC-B450-CBE30B25E0CF_zpsn5ardobj.jpg

And scattered throughout the area were deer beds. I assume these are likely night beds but they would make a good day bed except for being in direct sunlight. I am sure some were made by doe with Fawns nearby. The alfalfa is a nice cover for a newborn fawn, when settled into the alfalfa the newborn would be hard to spot from the air and being in the open, hard for a predator to sneak in without mommy knowing. The beans next to the Alfalfa are taking a beating. Out for about 50 feet they are nipped down so far they may not make it. Sorry my phone was about dead so I did not get a picture of the beans.

42EA4A0E-2719-432E-BCE7-93351201DA19_zpsgy9kh757.jpg

Mowed only area:

Mowed this area (have to see previous post for date) and took pictures on July 3. It looks like it is doing well at this point. Had the cutting small enough that the new growth was not effected.

124455.jpg

124429.jpg

After a couple days of slow rain the grass has kicked into high gear where the coop sprayed and killed out the Alfalfa

Looking at it from the side is likely the best picture.

124500.jpg

Tried to get this downloaded sooner but Photobucket is not liking me right now!

The dead broadleaf stems have been taken care of that showed up this spring. This was sprayed once and mowed once so far. Not too bad for a food plot. I should point out the beans right next to the alfalfa are getting hammered so as far as attractiveness, looks like the Alfalfa is doing what it was intended.

All previous posted content moved from another site on 7/23/16. Some of previous posts will have dates attached but not all. From this point further I will put the Date in my post!

As you know I've alway followed this thread closely. You have done an amazing job. I've always been a fan of alfalfa and think plotters get scared of doing it since it can require good phs and amendments to succeed. But especially for areas that tend to be dry like my ridge top plot, it is hard to beat. Of course mine looks nothing like yours and is a mix of clovers and chicory and alfalfa. In its third year and doing great.

How close do you mow yours?? I tend to mow at about a foot since I am not baling and don't want a lot of trash left on the plot. So far, mowing about 2- 3 times a year, and the heavy browse of the deer seems to have kept it in ck. But maybe I should mow more often and closer? Your thots?

Unless going through a very dry season mowing short is usually better than mowing high. The way Alfalfa grows is basically after a section forms a new shoot will continue upwards. The lower portions will be if differing stages of woody stems. Getting rid of the stems allows more tender growth.

Also cutting close can aid the plants in tillering from the crown providing many shoots from the same plant. When we mow and bale we are cutting in the 1 to 2 inch range by average. Most bushhog type mowers will not cut this low.

The plot that has only been sprayed and mowed as been cut back to around 5 inches each time with the batwing mower and is still coming on strong.

Not sure how low Chicory can be mowed. Honestly that is one species I really don't want to get started and avoid on our property.

The reason for mowing more often is because you want to keep the plant from reaching maturity and it will flower about every 28 to 35 days usually around here. Wait too long after that and the plant begins to loose nutritional value and I believe it would also shorten the plots effective life span.

I know deer can hit a food source but when that food can provide over a ton of new forage every 28 days or so I find it hard to believe deer alone will keep it eaten down. It just grows crazy fast.

Trash is not a good thing with alfalfa as I have pointed out. You can kill established alfalfa within a couple days just by smothering with cuttings or clumps.

Dan
www.pikecountyfoodplots.com

I was posting in this thread on the other site as Mo-Bowhunter. My last post over there I was asking about mowing mine as I had Lambsquarter coming in. I did go in to cut it and there was much more Clover in there than I had thought. I went ahead and cut it down to 2''. I will go back and try and get a few pics of it today but I would not call it an Alfalfa plot by any means.

I was posting in this thread on the other site as Mo-Bowhunter. My last post over there I was asking about mowing mine as I had Lambsquarter coming in. I did go in to cut it and there was much more Clover in there than I had thought. I went ahead and cut it down to 2''. I will go back and try and get a few pics of it today but I would not call it an Alfalfa plot by any means.

I don't remember the posting exactly and for time saving I just copied my info but reading this has made the light bulb come on. If you plant clover with alfalfa, I would recommend going with something like Med Red. If it starts to thin you can frost seed the med red every third year. The whites have a way of overtaking the Alfalfa. Wish I had some pictures that show what I mean but if I took them I don't remember what I did with them from a couple years ago.

Back