Aging clover plot

Hi everyone, haven’t been on in a bit.
My clover plot is around 8 years old and starting to get overrun by weeds and grasses so I figured it was time to start discing it up and use up some of the nitrogen the clover has been putting in the soil.
I left the best patches of clover but plan on discing the entire plot in the spring and starting over.
I don’t have much for equipment so my discing consists of a pull behind disc from lawn tractor I modified to make work with my atv.
I planted winter greens by whitetail institute as I only needed enough seed for half an acre and also broadcast some winter rye down the long finger coming into the plot.
I also spread 400lb of lime and 200lbs of 6-12-12 fertilizer in case something is lacking. I took some soil to get a test done as it has been about 3 years since the last test. Fingers are crossed this grows or the plot could be a bust for this fall! First time
Planting brassicas.
Had one with potential show up June 1 but haven’t caught him on cam again.
IMG_5098.JPGIMG_5209.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Can’t blame you for starting over after 8 years. That just shows how inexpensive it really is to grow a good clover plot.

You’re right! The clover did really well up until last year when it started to go the other way. I’m really excited to see how the brassicas perform. When I first opened the ground the ph was at 4.5 so I was really doubtful it would ever amount to anything, but after a whole lot of lime…. And sweat it was better then I ever dreamt. I’m thinking I might start doing a 3 year rotation from now on.

People think that clover reseeds itself, my experience says that it doesn't do this very well, perhaps because the seeds drop in the middle of the summer when its hot and dry and certified seed wouldn't grow either. I reseed my clover plots while the old clover is still going, my favorite method is to seed oats or rye and clover seed into existing clover in late summer or early fall, spring also works good. Clover needs a nurse crop to start well, and oats is a good nurse crop.
My question is, why don't you seed the clover this fall with the brassicas?

That is a very good question . Honestly I am hoping by doing it this way and discing again in the spring I have more chance to eliminate the weeds and this also gives me a chance to get a soil test done and add any lime It needs in early early April .
I don’t have access to any herbicides so it makes it tougher to keep the weeds under control.

Ive got 2 clover plots that are 12 yo. I once decided that a clover plot should be redone after X number of years. I would never ever do that again unless I wanted a different planting.
Of course I do every few years overseeding with clover in the fall. And each fall I usually overseed with a grain and brassica. But the last 4 years I have just allowed the grains and brassica reseed themselves. Occasionally apply 0-20-20 Fert and Boron, spray about every 3-5 years for grasses, and mow "weeds" as needed.
I've shown enough pics on my threads and property tour to prove my point. All this on less than ideal soils and conditions. But the industry gurus love for you to buy their seeds, hence their advice. And I certainly don't worry of a pristine magazine cover plot, the deer, turkey, and bear don't give a crap.

Ive got 2 clover plots that are 12 yo. I once decided that a clover plot should be redone after X number of years. I would never ever do that again unless I wanted a different planting.
Of course I do every few years overseeding with clover in the fall. And each fall I usually overseed with a grain and brassica. But the last 4 years I have just allowed the grains and brassica reseed themselves. Occasionally apply 0-20-20 Fert and Boron, spray about every 3-5 years for grasses, and mow "weeds" as needed.
I've shown enough pics on my threads and property tour to prove my point. All this on less than ideal soils and conditions. But the industry gurus love for you to buy their seeds, hence their advice. And I certainly don't worry of a pristine magazine cover plot, the deer, turkey, and bear don't give a crap.

I’m going to do what you have shown. My clover isn’t as thick as years past. I’ll broadcast my seed and mow. Why disc when you don’t have to.

I’m going to do what you have shown. My clover isn’t as thick as years past. I’ll broadcast my seed and mow. Why disc when you don’t have to.
If you can catch a rain and cooler weather with late summer, success is improved. My place is in a hard 8 wk drought somehow after a wet year, and my plantings will remain on hold until/if weather breaks. That is the great advantage of a multicultural plot, it can shade helping to prevent wind, sun, and drought, or monsoon affects. Some will argue that additional plants take up moisture needed by clover but I don't see that in real world observation. Nature never plants a monoculture unless man manipulates it to do so. Good luck.

Big ditto here.

I've had multiple rhizome-spreading 'weeds' in my perennial clover the past few years. They established a presence across the whole plot, but they were very subdued in the mix, and always get eaten by the deer.

If I counted my unplanted plants and what i put in my clover, I bet I'd be up over 40 or 50 species out there. There is no way something like that could ever peter out. I think it still needs a gentle hand to guide it with some winter grains and timely mowing, but otherwise, that should be all it ever needs. That and gypsum for a few years during establishment.

Back