Age this

This pic was from 2016, I let this deer walk multiple times, thinking he was a 2.5 year old. I estimated the age from the body size. He had just over a 16" spread.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d7d0 2.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d7d0 2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
Well that's the hero shot, can't add the trail pic. I feel really lucky haven't had much on the cams this year, but I'm down to only 3 cams, on 400 acres. I've been putting less and less energy into trail cameras. I think they are great for estimating what a property is capable of, after a few years, but I know what my land can produce. It seems I see more of the better deer in stand than what cams show. I know a booner type of buck is rare for my properties, but it's always possible.
I've been fortunate enough to harvest bucks consistently between 140-165 every year. I believe this buck is a 4.5 year old, but it's body looked like a 3.5. maybe I can get a trail photo posted yet
Good hunting

Great buck, even when blocking out the large antlers, the head itself and the part of the body showing, it sure looks like it couldn't be a 3 1/2 and likely is more than a 4 1/2 as well as compared to the deer here. That reinforces how different deer are from one region to another.

He aged out at a 4.5. I wish I could figure out how to post the trail cam pick of him. His body size is a year behind. I thought he was a 2.5 from the above trail cam pick. This year's body looked like a 3.5. I'm very confident on the 4.5 age after examining the teeth.
This deer had an abnormally small body.

Back