300 Blackout

She was about 15’ inside all that brush. I use a ATN Infrared scope and the moon hadn’t come up yet so it was pitch black outside when I shot her. I bet I walked within 5 feet of her several times when I was trying to find her in the darkZ. Gave up and came back the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. What bullets are you using? I'd like to take the kids 300 out for hogs someday, I still haven't shot a deer with it (he has shot two one with the Barnes 110g and one with the Hornady flex tip). I really like it for the kids rifle.

I am not experienced with infrared - but I thought they showed the heat signature as white?

This scope is infrared not thermal. Uses the same basic tech as a IR game camera. This scope cost me round $500 and I use an external illuminator with it which allows me to see around 200 yards in pitch dark nights. If there is any kind of ambient light from the moon that makes it even better. The cheapest thermal from the same company is around $2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Do you have the 50X model? Do you have a silencer on the.300?

No it’s the cheapest one. 3-14 I think. Works good up to around 100 yards or so. Much past that and the objects get a little small.

Silencer is next on the list but I’m waiting to see how this legislation plays out in DC. If it passes you’ll be able to buy a silencer over the counter without having to go through all the hassle of setting up a trust and lawyer fees, etc. Not to mention the wait period.

Nice. What bullets are you using? I'd like to take the kids 300 out for hogs someday, I still haven't shot a deer with it (he has shot two one with the Barnes 110g and one with the Hornady flex tip). I really like it for the kids rifle.

I’m using Hornady Black 110gr supersonic. Looking at getting into reloading as the ammo is expensive.

I’m using Hornady Black 110gr supersonic. Looking at getting into reloading as the ammo is expensive.

I haven't bought dies yet but need to. The problem with reloading for AR's is you either have to use a brass catcher or spend half your time looking for casing. The brass catcher I have is good for a jam 1 out 5 shots.

No it’s the cheapest one. 3-14 I think. Works good up to around 100 yards or so. Much past that and the objects get a little small.

Silencer is next on the list but I’m waiting to see how this legislation plays out in DC. If it passes you’ll be able to buy a silencer over the counter without having to go through all the hassle of setting up a trust and lawyer fees, etc. Not to mention the wait period.

A silencer would probably decrease the sound of the shot to the point you wouldnt have to wear hearing protection on the range. For the can to really work well, you will have to go subsonic - and then you are going to have a short range gun. Hogs are going to hear it no matter what you do. They hear my compound bow at sixty yards.

The silencer would be more for the novelty of it more than the practicality of it. That one I shot Sunday night was a little over 100 yards away. I don’t thing subsonic ammo would be the way to go in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would tell you to go ahead and get it. It's more than likely in stock at your shop of choice and by the time you fill out the paperwork and get approved, the HPA may or may not be passed. Once it does pass, everyone is going to run out and buy a silencer and if you aren't quick, they will be sold out. It will take the manufacturers a while to get caught up with demand and you may be up the creek waiting on one. I have a trust with some friends and currently(with the new laws), the only thing it gets us is some legalities to keep someone from just walking in and taking our NFA items. We still have to have fingerprints and a photo, just like an individual applying for a silencer. There are 5 of us and if one person buys a silencer, that person must have all 5 peoples fingerprints and photos. When we got the Trust, it saved us the fingerprints, photos, and a visit to the "local law enforcement" for approval. The new subsonic hunting ammo coming from Winchester and the such, it pretty good and should allow you to shoot out to 150-200yds with ease and still expand like it is designed. A silencer actually adds to the velocity of your round of choice. It might be 10fps or it could be 100fps.

From what I've read and heard, you might as well get in line if you want a suppressor. I don't believe the suppressor legislation is gonna pass, and probably isn't even on the radar in this political climate.

I own one suppressor, and the only practical use I've found for it is on an AR pistol. The 7.5" barrel is really loud, but suppressed it's bearable without muffs under the golf cart roof. It's my "riding around" hog gun because it's very handy in close quarters. I had it on a 20" barreled .223/5.56 and it was just too long especially at night when you bang into things you can't see. :rolleyes:

Back