2016 New York Buck Photos

I just want to know where Mike Giarraputo from Long Island hunts. He holds the NYS Non-typical record for a bow kill.
Every year he posts a damn good buck in nyantler.com, last year he nailed two. I know there are some great farms etc on LI but for a guy to nail a good one every year on LI makes me wonder, and I am not the only one.

Those are some great bucks. Imagine if we had APRs or a gun season that wasn't so long. Not many from the northern zone, I knew I wanted to move south.

Those are some great bucks. Imagine if we had APRs or a gun season that wasn't so long. Not many from the northern zone, I knew I wanted to move south.

Joe welcome to the posting side of the forum and thanks for this post;it is very encouraging.

Chummer buddy do not get excited because Steuben and Ulster county shoots bucks with antlers that dwarf ours by a landslide. I "ain't movin" and likely neither are you. We have it all right here! IT IS NOT SO BAD! The body size of our bucks is more than acceptable anywhere in the country. Bucks dressing over two hundred pounds is not that shabby.

I attended a presentation ten or fifteen years ago by Charles Alsheimer who showed the progression of antler sizes for the deer he was hunting and taking in his home farm in Steuben county. The racks in the beginning of his journey were pitiful. He told how he let bucks go, improved his habitat and eventually got the neighbors to do the same thru co-ops. Eventually his co-op started growing 150 inch deer! As word and the movement spread in his area others followed his lead. While he was a catalyst in his area there were others in other areas and counties as well. Today that county and other counties shoot tremendous deer regularly. This took time;Those counties were once where we are and even as weak as we were ten years ago.

Definitely 150 inch deer would not have happened in his area and others without his efforts as well as other like minded people who got others on board with "provide the best habitat and let them grow thinking". Its up to us to seek out like minded people and get that same process of recruiting others with the same goals. We must take chances and educate others to improve our entire area. We can do this . I'M CERTAIN OF IT. We are not alone;there are lots of other people in our area already thinking this way.

You and I are not alone but we can be the catalysts to get like minded people in Jefferson county together to make it happen. Someday people will say man what deer they shoot up north!

Last edited:
I love your optimism. I have got the neighbors to lay off yearlings. That is a start. At least most of the yearlings. I hunted Steuben county a few years ago. First week of November two years in a row. I have never seen anything like it. I would see 20-30 deer a day and some monster bucks at all hours of the day. The neighbor shot a 170 the year I was there. I had some encounters with real giants but couldn't seal the deal. My FIL stopped bow hunting so we never went back but it was an awesome place. I do love where I am at but it offers very little in bow hunting. Very short early season. In 12 years of hunting I think I have seen 3 bucks during bow season. I wish they would make bow season go until Nov 7th then have riffle. 7 weeks of riffle covering the whole rut is crazy and counter productive.

Last edited:
I love your optimism. I have got the neighbors to lay off yearlings. That is a start. At least most of the yearlings. I hunted Steuben county a few years ago. First week of November two years in a row. I have never seen anything like it. I would see 20-30 deer a day and some monster bucks at all hours of the day. The neighbor shot a 170 the year I was there. I had some encounters with real giants but couldn't seal the deal. My FIL stopped bow hunting so we never went back but it was an awesome place. I do love where I am at but it offers very little in bow hunting. Very short early season. In 12 years of hunting I think I have seen 3 bucks during bow season. I wish they would make bow season go until Nov 7th then have riffle. 7 weeks of riffle covering the whole rut is crazy and counter productive.

You are right about the rifle season; 7 weeks is tough on the deer and the two week bow season before muzzle loader is also not so great due to it being even before pre-rut. If bow hunting is that exciting to you as compared to rifle then I can see your thinking. Bow or gun doesn't matter for me;I enjoy both equally. Since we are both likely to stay put we just have to have the absolute best habitat to help a deer survive to shootable size despite the ridiculous long seasons that this area has. And of course maybe an annual bow hunting trip to better counties could be in the cards for now. I could be up for that.

Laying off yearlings is a huge start. It's huge because some of the resultant 2 1/2s will survive. I honestly believe that this area has turned the corner and older aged deer is about to become more common on more properties in our area.

You are right about the rifle season; 7 weeks is tough on the deer and the two week bow season before muzzle loader is also not so great due to it being even before pre-rut. If bow hunting is that exciting to you as compared to rifle then I can see your thinking. Bow or gun doesn't matter for me;I enjoy both equally. Since we are both likely to stay put we just have to have the absolute best habitat to help a deer survive to shootable size despite the ridiculous long seasons that this area has. And of course maybe an annual bow hunting trip to better counties could be in the cards for now. I could be up for that.

Laying off yearlings is a huge start. It's huge because some of the resultant 2 1/2s will survive. I honestly believe that this area has turned the corner and older aged deer is about to become more common on more properties in our area.
The other thing I have going is the members of the club that still shoot yearlings are 75+. The younger guys are on board and by younger I mean 60. They are some cool old dudes though. Very happy when I get a deer and share information. They are just from an era where if it has one 3" spike you better shoot it. If only they didn't hunt every day for 7 weeks straight. I definitely think we have turned the corner. I have seen more bigger bucks in the last two year s than the 12 prior, and that includes the two winters from hell.

I just want to know where Mike Giarraputo from Long Island hunts. He holds the NYS Non-typical record for a bow kill.
Every year he posts a damn good buck in nyantler.com, last year he nailed two. I know there are some great farms etc on LI but for a guy to nail a good one every year on LI makes me wonder, and I am not the only one.
I spoke to him after he killed the record non-typical. He hunts a private piece of land in Suffolk County. Long Island is loaded with big whitetails mostly because it is primarily bow hunting only with little or no gun hunting pressure. Mike is very selective and has the ability to control his hunting area because he hunts it exclusively. Some hunters are just fortunate to have a good piece of land with lots of mature bucks to choose from.

Back