Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Looks awesome as usual. Nice bucks and I don't see many flies on them. Same here which surprised me for this time of year. Bees must love your flower heaven. My place was covered with butterflies and moths today, with a lot of monarchs since I've managed for more milkweed which they love.

Looks awesome as usual. Nice bucks and I don't see many flies on them. Same here which surprised me for this time of year. Bees must love your flower heaven. My place was covered with butterflies and moths today, with a lot of monarchs since I've managed for more milkweed which they love.

Every time I see a butterfly milkweed, there is a butterfly on it. The weed name was chosen well.

Normally I don’t spend much time reading property tours because it can take hours just to get through one. That being said, I’m on page 22/47 (February 2017) and you’ve got me very inspired to get some room cleared for the NWSG and mast tree planting’s I’ve been dreaming up, so thank you for that! The only thing I can’t thank you for is the separation anxiety I’m getting from not being able to go work on habitat projects right this moment as the property is 45 mins away. Keep on posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Normally I don’t spend much time reading property tours because it can take hours just to get through one. That being said, I’m on page 22/47 (February 2017) and you’ve got me very inspired to get some room cleared for the NWSG and mast tree planting’s I’ve been dreaming up, so thank you for that! The only thing I can’t thank you for is the separation anxiety I’m getting from not being able to go work on habitat projects right this moment as the property is 45 mins away. Keep on posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Chip, there are times that all of us (myself included) need some inspiration, and I'm glad that you have found some in my thread. I don't have a cure for the separation anxiety, and I go through it sometimes myself, but I'm only 20 minutes away, so that helps some.

Thanks for letting me know that you are enjoying the thread. That inspires me to keep posting. Let me know if I can ever help with the NWSGs or anything else you want to do. I'm no expert but gaining quite a bit of experience as time goes on.

Everything looking good native! I know I've read through your thread multiple times and kept up with the updates but evidently I've never posted in it. I guess I get so caught up in the reading I forget to write anything. Keep up the good work!

All these comments are so true. So much going on with Native's habitat and resident wildlife. Starts out with some beautiful Gods Country, add some years of Ky farmers touch, then bring Native to plant trees, flowers, grains and fruit and oversee (aka works his but off). All we need is that barn quilt

Everything looking good native! I know I've read through your thread multiple times and kept up with the updates but evidently I've never posted in it. I guess I get so caught up in the reading I forget to write anything. Keep up the good work!

Thanks pinetag, and I appreciate that. Thanks for tagging along, and feel free to interject in the thread at any time!

All these comments are so true. So much going on with Native's habitat and resident wildlife. Starts out with some beautiful Gods Country, add some years of Ky farmers touch, then bring Native to plant trees, flowers, grains and fruit and oversee (aka works his but off). All we need is that barn quilt

Lak, I don't know how that barn quilt keeps getting postponed...:) Doug is going to have to intervene and come put it in for me.

I am truly blessed to get to manage this piece of ground for my time on the earth. I hope I never forget the source of the blessings.

As I get older, the exercise from doing the many tasks related to habitat management becomes more valuable too. Sometimes I will get out the "DR walk behind mower" when I could have used the tractor and bushhog - just to work up a good sweat.

Seeing things grow (trees, shrubs, plots, wildlife, etc.) is a source of joy that I treasure. Thanks for tagging along my friends.

I was seeing Kentucky hills for $800/acre today. Native, do you have whip poor wills?

G

Yes, we have them. You can hear them some nights.

I've seen some of that hill land for sale before. There isn't any like that within 30 miles or so of me. It will be really steep and have the timber cut off of it. It will generally also be in bad neighborhoods.

But, there are still many good land deals around for a few more dollars per acre.

I wish you would buy the farm that was for sale north of me across the highway. We could be neighbors. It was something like 80 acres at $450,000, but it has a huge mansion that goes with it. However, I think that since you've had a taste of the Colorado mountains, you would never be happy here.

Last edited:
"You can take a boy out of the country but it damn sure is hell getting all of the country out of the boy" (Charlie).

How far below Cumberland Lake can trout live?

G

"You can take a boy out of the country but it damn sure is hell getting all of the country out of the boy" (Charlie).

How far below Cumberland Lake can trout live?

G

I'm not certain how far down the river they can live, but I think for many miles. The water coming into the river is freezing cold off the bottom of the lake, and it takes a lot of time for it to warm back down. Look at the following links. It appears the trout fishing is great in Burkesville.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/content.php/871-Burkesville-KY-Trout-Capitol-of-the-South

http://www.pautzke.com/kentuckys-cumberland-rainbows/

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/fishing_trout-fishing_ky_0408_02/

Yes, we have them. You can hear them some nights.

I've seen some of that hill land for sale before. There isn't any like that within 30 miles or so of me. It will be really steep and have the timber cut off of it. It will generally also be in bad neighborhoods.

But, there are still many good land deals around for a few more dollars per acre.

I wish you would buy the farm that was for sale north of me across the highway. We could be neighbors. It was something like 80 acres at $450,000, but it has a huge mansion that goes with it. However, I think that since you've had a taste of the Colorado mountains, you would never be happy here.

I would love to buy next door to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not certain how far down the river they can live, but I think for many miles. The water coming into the river is freezing cold off the bottom of the lake, and it takes a lot of time for it to warm back down. Look at the following links. It appears the trout fishing is great in Burkesville.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/content.php/871-Burkesville-KY-Trout-Capitol-of-the-South

http://www.pautzke.com/kentuckys-cumberland-rainbows/

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/fishing_trout-fishing_ky_0408_02/

Thanks Steve, I'm going to have to tie up some Delmonte kernels and garlic cheese patterns before I visit. I sure like the looks of the community. Low crime, how do they keep the meth heads out?

G

Thanks Steve, I'm going to have to tie up some Delmonte kernels and garlic cheese patterns before I visit. I sure like the looks of the community. Low crime, how do they keep the meth heads out?

G

Geo, I don't know how they take care of the meth heads. It may be one of those close knit communities where someone "wakes up missing" if they start causing good folks trouble like that.

For that fly, I'm thinking little corn kernel looking wings with eyes like little gobs of garlic cheese would work.......

I would love to buy next door to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I would love to have you for a neighbor. We could help each other with habitat work and share trail cam pics to help pass the young deer. We could be growing enough monster to keep us both happy in a short time.

Slammer of a buck, looks nice and relaxed in those daylight movements. Place is looking beautiful! Bring on the cool autumn!

Slammer of a buck, looks nice and relaxed in those daylight movements. Place is looking beautiful! Bring on the cool autumn!

10-4 on the cool autumn.

I think that buck knows he can make one jump and be in 12 feet tall grass. That's why he seems so relaxed.

Good to hear from you my friend!!

Thought it might be time for a little update:

This is one of my dad's rigs. I've been using it a little lately instead of my big cab tractor to mow plots and just mowed shooting lanes with it. Worked like a charm.

d4qkn55h.jpg

There is a nice stream here, but you can't see it for the ugly weeds...;)

tOYD8bZh.jpg

Food plots put in early this year because of the good rain forecast. Glad I went ahead. Got everything started good.

YN3Vw8Kh.jpg

mrI8yHHh.jpg

yFaFxHhh.jpg

IzonYwah.jpg

Chestnuts good this year.

EfO10ZQh.jpg

Persimmons good this year. Some early ones beginning to ripen. Others still very green. That's what you want.

WjphjNph.jpg

OCz7lLIh.jpg

Some scenery.

I feel badly about this first pic. It drove Geo over the edge......;)

RodksHvh.jpg

brnDNz1h.jpg

JWfecG4h.jpg

In9LdLYh.jpg

941cOyth.jpg

continued on next post.................

Back