Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Yeah I picked up the Morris Burtons for my early droppers, now I just need to find mid- and late season droppers! Chestnut Hill apparently only sends a handful of seven gallon persimmons and Dunstans to each Walmart, the majority of the shipment is three gallon. You have to get there pretty quick to the seven gallons, they get snapped up fast. Kinda pricey, but you get persimmons faster!

Yeah I picked up the Morris Burtons for my early droppers, now I just need to find mid- and late season droppers! Chestnut Hill apparently only sends a handful of seven gallon persimmons and Dunstans to each Walmart, the majority of the shipment is three gallon. You have to get there pretty quick to the seven gallons, they get snapped up fast. Kinda pricey, but you get persimmons faster!

The Deer Magnet they sell is a November dropper in my area. I already had some of them from another source. I'm not sure when they would drop in your area.

Glad to see this thread! I think you are on to something with the tall grass. I was just talking to a buddy today about watching lots of chasing in an overgrown fescue field last season.

Looking forward to the updates!

Thanks TRF.

In the fall and winter it does seem to be the preferred bedding. In the summer time, I notice the deer coming out of my trees in the evenings. So during the summer it is used mostly for travel cover and browsing the forbs, but in fall and winter when the leaves come off, it quickly changes.

Last week I saw something pretty cool. I was driving up to my gate and caught a big doe crossing my neighbor's open field. I stopped the truck and for a second she just froze. She had a choice of turning around and going back toward the neighbors woods or going ahead to my switchgrass field. I wondered what she would do.

Suddenly she took off like a racehorse and headed for the switchgrass. When she got to it, instead of running straight into the grass, she leaped high like clearing a hurdle and when she came down, just disappeared for good.

I've seen that same thing happen a few times over the last three years. When they want to get hid fast, it seems they head for the tall grass. Makes sense to me, because it hides them quickly and there is less of a chance of getting an eye poked out by a limb.

The tall grass is also a preferred spot for the does during the chase phase of the rut. I've seen some great chases over the last few years.
That is a very cool observation but quite frankly not surprising. Although not exactly the same, I see somewhat similar behavior in my cut over regeneration. The regen is about 8 ft tall and very thick and I have noticed that once the deer get to it, they aren't in a big hurry to get in there...they will stop turnaround and look at me and then slowly will get in there....these are the observations that make it fun!

NH so glad to see your Kentucky farm tour continue here. I wandered into habitat talk and tried to find my way. Lakngulf sent me a message with directions to find all my buddies. Good to see you all here.

Brian AKA Stickbowcrafter from former forum

Nice bucks Native. Kinda thot you listened to acid rock music since you always growing so many types of weeds on your land. Just saying.

Tex, I forgot to ask you if your Wal Mart also had Deer Magnet. What others did they have?

Tex, I forgot to ask you if your Wal Mart also had Deer Magnet. What others did they have?

Nope! I was hoping to get some Deer Magnet but they only had the Morris Burtons, which they market under their "Deer Candy" label, along with some Japanese persimmons and Dunstan chestnuts. So I got some of the Morris Burtons and some Dunstans to try, but avoided the Japanese persimmons since I've heard that they don't drop their fruit like the Americans. So fingers crossed they'll have some Magnets next spring.

Nice bucks Native. Kinda thot you listened to acid rock music since you always growing so many types of weeds on your land. Just saying.

dogghr...Thinkin' we need to see pic of Native from the early 70s to verify. Native, anxious to see Ole Abby Normal post velvet!

dogghr...Thinkin' we need to see pic of Native from the early 70s to verify. Native, anxious to see Ole Abby Normal post velvet!

Be careful what you ask for TC - How about 1969.... BTW, I lost my hat somewhere. If anyone finds it, please return it....

Last edited:
Nope! I was hoping to get some Deer Magnet but they only had the Morris Burtons, which they market under their "Deer Candy" label, along with some Japanese persimmons and Dunstan chestnuts. So I got some of the Morris Burtons and some Dunstans to try, but avoided the Japanese persimmons since I've heard that they don't drop their fruit like the Americans. So fingers crossed they'll have some Magnets next spring.

That's strange. At our WM they had more of the Deer Magnet than anything else. I only saw 2 or 3 of the Jap trees. They were loaded down with Dunstan Chestnuts.

Back