Wilkes County Georgia

What a great story, congrats on the dream come true. I wanted a piece of land all of my life also. Finally was able to pull it off three years ago.
I wish I could have done it years ago when my kids were young. Looking forward to some pics of your kids with their first deer:D

possum...Congrats on the land! Look forward to seeing you make plenty of memories and sharing with us.

Congrats on the land purchase - we sometimes see those to good to be true deals too and usually it is the same story with landlocked land and no access other than foot...

Spent the night last night at "The Land" thats what we call it for now. We left at 11 this morning because high was going to get to 94 today! Last night was nice though. My son John got a .22 for his seventh birthday earlier this month. Last night we went Armadillo hunting and we got one! He was upset we couldnt get it mounted though. My wife Paige went bowhunting by herself while I watched the kids. She rarely gets to hunt alone and I think she really enjoyed a little peace and quiet. I went this morning and didnt see anything.

Checked trail cams and still getting lots of daytime deer pictures. Ive been concerned that I had not got any big buck pictures in four months but that changed this week. Had two different mature bucks one seven point one eight. Also a big hog. Now that a few acorns are dropping and breeding season getting closer, the deer are moving onto my place from the surrounding pine plantations. Also got first coyote picture in four months. Im hoping fawns are now big/strong enough to not be an easy meal for a yote.

Food plots are almost a complete failure. I planted some early in September when a tropical front dropped 2" of rain. Its only rained once since then and been hotter than normal. So there was still a few areas that still had some surviving oats, brassicas and clover but I would say 75% died. The soil is pretty sandy and I wasnt expecting clover to do well at all but surprisingly the Imperial Whitetail Clover did better than any other seeds I tried. Im going to go back whenever it looks like it is going to rain again and throw out some wheat, rye and clover.

Ga muzzle loader season starts Oct15th and the kids can deer hunt with centerfire rifles that week. Im hoping acorns will be all over the ground by then and kids will get to add a little meat to the freezer! Good thing too cause we just ate the last pack of ground venison last week.

Possum...Not much better that I can think of than making memories with family. Thx for updating. We set 3 ladder stands yesterday and moved another. It was hotter than blazes. We still haven't planted. It's just too dry with not much in sight for rain.

Spent the night last night at "The Land" thats what we call it for now. We left at 11 this morning because high was going to get to 94 today! Last night was nice though. My son John got a .22 for his seventh birthday earlier this month. Last night we went Armadillo hunting and we got one! He was upset we couldnt get it mounted though. My wife Paige went bowhunting by herself while I watched the kids. She rarely gets to hunt alone and I think she really enjoyed a little peace and quiet. I went this morning and didnt see anything.

Checked trail cams and still getting lots of daytime deer pictures. Ive been concerned that I had not got any big buck pictures in four months but that changed this week. Had two different mature bucks one seven point one eight. Also a big hog. Now that a few acorns are dropping and breeding season getting closer, the deer are moving onto my place from the surrounding pine plantations. Also got first coyote picture in four months. Im hoping fawns are now big/strong enough to not be an easy meal for a yote.

Food plots are almost a complete failure. I planted some early in September when a tropical front dropped 2" of rain. Its only rained once since then and been hotter than normal. So there was still a few areas that still had some surviving oats, brassicas and clover but I would say 75% died. The soil is pretty sandy and I wasnt expecting clover to do well at all but surprisingly the Imperial Whitetail Clover did better than any other seeds I tried. Im going to go back whenever it looks like it is going to rain again and throw out some wheat, rye and clover.

Ga muzzle loader season starts Oct15th and the kids can deer hunt with centerfire rifles that week. Im hoping acorns will be all over the ground by then and kids will get to add a little meat to the freezer! Good thing too cause we just ate the last pack of ground venison last week.

Congrats to your son on the Armadillo kill! I despise armadillos...

It's a roller coaster of deer movement right now due to the changing food sources. Hang in there and you should see a lot more bucks seeking the acorns and does...

We had a complete failure on our Plots at our Home 10 this year so I completely understand what you are going through. Hot, dry weather is a food plotters nemesis and this year we lost :(

Good luck to you and your kids!

Glad your son got the hit on the armadillo. My oldest grandson got a squirrel couple years back. It is amazing how BIG those first kills are. He still have the tail.

Yesterday was the day our family has been waiting for, opening day Georgia muzzleloader. In Ga, youth under 16 can use any modern rifle so the kids got their first cracks at the Wilkes county deer.
Friday me, the boy and the baby headed down early to get things ready and check trail cams before wife and daughter arrived a little after 7pm.
The trail cams looked promising! in front of ladder stand I was going to put my daughter Anna had a nice little 8 point and a bunch of does that morning! The cam in front of tower stand me and the boy would be in had a group of 4 regular does. Things were looking good for the morning hunt!

This buck was a regular in front of Annas stand. Got a lot of mid-day pictures of him. He seems to like moving around most on bright days. So Anna named him "Sunny"

This was biggest buck so far from our land. Looks like a mature 8+ point. I dont want to say he is on my "hit list" but he is definitely one Ill be hoping to get a shot at this season!

This hunt will be one none of us will forget. First off, a couple days before (Oct 12th) was the 20 year anniversary of me getting my first deer. I told the kids the story of that hunt and it got them fired up for their hunts!
Saturday morning would be Anna's first ever time hunting by herself. She is 12 now and passed her hunter safety course. Ive worked a lot with her on gun safety and felt she was ready to go out on her own.
Saturday morning would also be Johns first deer hunt where he would be shooting. He is only seven but he is really good with the .308 out to 80 yards or so. He had been talking about this hunt for a long time and it was finally here!

Last edited:
As the sun sank Friday evening, the full moon came up. It was a beautiful night to be camping. Well, all of us but one was a happy camper lol

Back