"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Well looks like you finally got some rain! Congrats on the promotion and it looks like you have been busy in other ways as well - beating up on them poor big tire guys.....gonna hurt their ego's ya big bully!

Wife got it done yesterday evening.

af9bec31c00b64e58d60bc5c0f929355.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lease...that's the deer I called "Big 7" and was the main target buck down there for this year...very old and very big bodied...

Great buck Johnny, congrats to you & the Mrs. ..some reason the pic of her deer is not showing.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

OkieKubota walked me to my tree stand and made sure I got in okay around 1530 (best husband ever). I was pretty excited because this was my first hunt of the year. Around 1600 I had a small deer slowly cruise through about 70 yards from my stand. At 1620 I had a lone doe come in about 40 yards east of my stand and slowly made her way out of site. I was thinking here we go! I’m sure a buck will follow her in. Guess what?..... Nothing followed her in. :( I kept setting and wondering if I would see another deer before dark. The squirrels were packed in and I’m just setting there wondering if I’ll regain feeling in my fingers again. Around 1810 I look towards the trail that we walked in and caught leg movement. I looked up and saw some horns. I was already setup good with my NEW muzzleloader and just waiting for him to make his way to an opening, so I could get a good look at him. I’m not sure what happened, but all of the sudden he stepped into the clear and I saw an elk!!! I started shaking, knees knocking and couldn’t control my breathing. He was making his way in my direction and would stop every little bit to take a whiff. I pulled myself together and kept telling myself to wait and not rush the shot. He finally gave me a good shot about 40 yards out. I took a deep breath and consciously exhaled and slowly squeezed the trigger. Through the smoke I saw him take off running and stop about 50 yards to my left. I thought “I know I put a good hit in him”. All of the sudden he started the wobble death dance. I watched him crash, while trying to reload with shaking hands. I sat for 10 minutes in my stand and tried texting Johnny, but I had no service. Once my legs stopped feeling like jello I got out of my stand and decided to video me walking to him. Many times I’ve walked up to my deer and watched the rack and body shrink, but not this time!!! He kept getting bigger!!! I then thought I may have killed a buck that was on the No No list. This moment was caught on my most funniest video. After circling Big 7 a million times, I knew I couldn’t drag him out by myself. I sat firm by him and had some quality time with Big 7 while we waited for Johnny. When Johnny found us and I saw the look of pride and happiness on his face., I lost my composure and started crying and hyper ventilating. I’ve been dealing with a health issue for a while that Had me thinking that a hunt like this would never happen again. Last year I only hunted a few times with my bow, before pain became more than I could handle. This harvest was extremely emotional for me. I know there’s no crying in hunting!! :rolleyes: I am beyond blessed and give God praise for giving me another hunt! I give Johnny all the credit for this successful hunt. He has always made sure I have the best locations to hunt to be successful. Thank you for taking time to read my story! God bless and happy hunting.

Last edited:
Story time...

Yesterday morning I awoke to 24 degrees and slight SE breeze and my wife was deeply asleep I am sure dreaming of the hunt she had the evening before...I loaded up my 4 wheeler, talked to some other lease members around the campfire and we said our "good lucks" and parted ways. As I was riding to my hunting area I realized this wind was perfect for the stand I had been saving all fall to hunt. It is the point of a ridge with another bench above it. Deer naturally contour around it in their travels. Several years ago I packed a ladder stand up the extremely steep side of that ridge to get to that flat point area. I set the stand in a 3 trunked maple tree right at the edge of the point and I only am 1 step from the brink. With the triple trunks I am extremely hidden there and with a S or E or a SE wind my scent blows out over the hollow I came up out of over the road. The climb up is one of those where you have to grab small trees to help steady yourself and pull yourself up. I finally reached the summit and got stealthily into my ladder stand and began my vigil...

At 7:20 I was sitting there watching the squirrels and I had a doe run past from my north going south and around the point. I got ready and waited, and waited, and waited some more but nothing was following her. At 8:20 I had a doe and a fawn come from the east and around the point and then north along the trail. Another lease member sent me a text saying he shot a big one down in the canyon area of our lease which is on our SE side. At 9:15 I had 3 does and a fawn travel the same route the other 2 traveled and 5 minutes later 2 more does and a fawn came up the same path but circled out much closer to me before traveling N, it is an amazing spot because there is no ground scent or airborne scent so deer act absolutely natural. At 9:50 a nice young 8 pointer came from the N and headed around toward the east but then just dropped over the edge down into a huge hollow. I was starting to think about getting back to camp and getting my wife Christine's deer ready to go to the processor and taxidermist and had decided I would sit till about 10 because it was rapidly warming up and was to be mid 60's that day. At 10:00 as I was getting ready to start getting down I glanced over my left shoulder to the north and saw a real nice buck headed my way. He was definitely acting rutty and was casting about checking for ground scent of does. He was coming right by my tree on the left side and I looked him over real good before I finally committed to him once I saw the tine length. I brought the .50 caliber TC Encore to my shoulder and pulled the hammer back...wait a minute...the hammer won't cock...can't even moved it 1/8th", what the heck...break the gun open, do a quick visual, close it back up hoping the 10 yard buck doesn't bust me. Still won't cock!!!! Break it open 3 or 4 times as the buck is getting further away and headed to the same place the other 8 point went off the hollow....NO! Felt completely helpless and could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't get the hammer back...it felt spongy as if something soft was blocking it and I figured it must be an old used primer that didn't come out at some point in the past and fell into the action. By now the deer is 75 yards and just getting ready to bail over the side when I grabbed the hammer and gave it all I could and whatever was blocking it broke loose and the trigger locked into place. Split second before buck goes over the side and I mouth grunt and he stops quartering away and looking back. I am locked on at that moment and fire. I saw the buck lunge over the side and doubt started going through my head...was I on him? Did I jerk the trigger? I reloaded in the stand and got down and went to the last place I saw him and there was no sign. I looked over the edge and saw nothing so I was now really wondering if I screwed up... I moved a few feet to the west and then see a SUBSTANTIAL blood trail. I knew he was mine! A few feet down the side I saw him laying there where he crashed. A tree root had stopped his slide and it was a good thing because he was right on the precipice of a substantial bluff...one high enough to break him up pretty bad if he fell off of it. I sat with him and thanked god for giving me the opportunity at him and grabbed him by an antler and tugged him off the root and started to drag him sideways across the side of the ridge. His back half actually went over the side of the bluff and I had to wrestle him back up. After I got past the bluff I basically rode him down to the bottom and tried to be an anchor because it was so steep...i got him down to the dry creek at the bottom and then went and got my 4 wheeler and came back and loaded him off a high bank onto my back rack and headed back to camp pretty happy about the way things turned out...

I hunted here on the hollow with my bow this morning. Even though high winds were forecast for the day I awoke to absolute calm. As I was walking the trail to get back to where I could access my stands the downed leaves and absolute ridiculous amounts of acorns on the ground made for an extremely loud walk...I had to creep my way out there as slowly as possible and I was later than I wanted to be getting to my stand. The wind picked up bigley and I ended up seeing a very nice 10 point and a 5 point from my stand and when I got down I jumped a doe out of her bed that had snuck in behind me and laid down.

0a4db6a55dbc5c4a070620a2a9acdfb8.jpg

I walked back toward our south plot and noticed 2 deer running in and out of our little pond really having a good old time. They ended up feeding toward where I was standing until the swirling winds blew my scent to them...

717433de0a244c17960821abc0fa1cb8.jpg

After I took the deer my wife and I got over the weekend to the taxidermist I decided I needed to groom the trail before future hunts (in the morning lol).

bff21e3970ea2ec17b596d33e71c3765.jpg

930d3428e7e18688347797ba9f6a5dde.jpg

3728b66e03733ee5ad931c052926e44b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lucky"...yep...right....my buddy likes to use that word as well. Nice try Okie....you can't bull-shit an old bull-shitter!;)

Thomas Jefferson said....
"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Lucky is when preparedness and opportunity meet...lol

It didn't take you and Mrs Kubota long to fill the freezer and take up more wall space. Looks like it is starting out the perfect hunting year for you. Big congratulations to you both!
Thank you NH. I looked at the season dates, moon, and temps for opening weekend and knew it was going to be some kind of special...every 5 years our ML season is a week later and Rifle is a few days earlier with only 1 weekend of bow hunting in between. bow and rifle should be phenomenal throughout November here this year...

Back