"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Wow just an awesome story, hunt, and buck. Couldn't happen to a better guy. Congrats, and maybe you should pray for drought every year. Great job thinking of where and when to hunt. Can't kill one sitting on the couch. Loved the arms too short pick. Again, congrats.

Thank you dogghr. Don't think I am going to be praying for drought because I like it when we have big acorn production years because lots of great deer make it into the following year. I am afraid that this year with the acorn bust up on our place due to drought a bunch of nice up and comer type deer aren't going to make it...On figuring spots out I have a knack if I have had boots on the ground in the area. I put that stand up in August 2014 and just knew it was going to be a great producer and it has produced 3 of the 4 bucks we have taken so far. It sits geographically dead center between our North Plot and our south plot and is a good White Oak grove but it didn't produce acorns this year. Sitting on the couch sure sounded good but I chose to do something else instead ;)

Enjoyed the story buddy. I was showing your pic to my partner then stuck my phone in my pocket-that's when I butt dialed you.

Congrats again
Todd

I was going "Hello, Hello, Todd, Hello" LOL

Thanks!
If any hunter ever deserved a deer, you deserved that one! Congrats on a great hunt!

I have been talking and posting about that deer for a couple of years now. The thing about him was not his rack because we have others with bigger racks. It was all about age with this deer! Thank You

Great job on the laid back 9! Glad you got him before he left.

I knew it was just a matter of time Don. I think the acorn bust brought him back around because he did leave for more than 2 weeks in September and really just started coming back around looking for food. Thank You
Outstanding!

Thank You...

Seriously, congrats! I really felt for you when you couldn't find him last night, with all the drought problems a win like this was overdue! What a great history and to have it finally come together for you, just awesome.

I kicked myself in the butt because I didn't try to get on him quick last October before he left but we never had a good enough wind to try. This time with an northerly wind that switched to East while I was sitting I was able to take advantage of the situation and get in there. The drought is still a huge problem and now many of our mature trees are going dormant. Will be interesting to see if they come back next year. The pines are just flat out dying! Thank you and good luck to you this fall!
Great deer and so cool to have all the history with him as well...glad it was an uneventful recovery! Enjoy the moment!

"seriously" is an interesting forum handle - did I know you over on the QDMA board?

The recovery was great the morning following the shot. I was so fortunate a coyote I got a picture of a mere 75 yards from him that night never located him and it was just cool enough to save the meat! Thank you for reading and posting...

That buck is a stud! Congratulations. There aren't many that size in Cherokee county (other than those on your place)!
Actually I think there are allot more than people realize...I have pictures of some real dandies on our deer lease. I got a picture of a great one on Home 10 the other night and friends share pictures from all around the county with me of deer that make the deer we have look like dinks... What county are you hunting?

I have been talking and posting about that deer for a couple of years now. The thing about him was not his rack because we have others with bigger racks. It was all about age with this deer! Thank You
Absolutely- I felt like I was following a soap opera for men with the history you had with him and other deer. The patience, perseverance and hard work you put into that moment makes it more than just "a deer" and "a deer hunt." And considering all that along with the fact the coyotes didn't get to him-- I'd say you must be living right! :) I'm just sitting here hoping my insane work schedule lets me and the kids hunt when the rut starts, since I haven't been out yet and won't have a chance for at least another week and a half. Oh the joys of self-employment!

Actually I think there are allot more than people realize...I have pictures of some real dandies on our deer lease. I got a picture of a great one on Home 10 the other night and friends share pictures from all around the county with me of deer that make the deer we have look like dinks... What county are you hunting?

We have a lease down in Atoka county about 7 miles east of Stringtown. I also hunt some family land in Pott county in between Prague and Shawnee. My oldest deer have come from our lease. My avatar is the oldest deer that I have gotten so far. I think it aged out at 6.5 years. At our Atoka county lease we have a traditional deer camp and just hanging out around the fire has become as fun to me as the actual hunt. My kids are starting to become old enough to be able to enjoy it too.

Absolutely- I felt like I was following a soap opera for men with the history you had with him and other deer. The patience, perseverance and hard work you put into that moment makes it more than just "a deer" and "a deer hunt." And considering all that along with the fact the coyotes didn't get to him-- I'd say you must be living right! :) I'm just sitting here hoping my insane work schedule lets me and the kids hunt when the rut starts, since I haven't been out yet and won't have a chance for at least another week and a half. Oh the joys of self-employment!
Thank you - I love having a history with a deer. That never really happened Pre-trailcam because I would just go and never really see the best the places had to offer because I would kill something with less age than I wanted to because I figured that was the best the place had to offer. Now I can get a real good feel for what is available and if something I have never gotten a picture of that is more mature than what I have pics of I know in an instant and can get the shot. Trail cameras are saving a bunch of younger deer allowing them to get age...I was just talking to someone at work and he said he used to just kill the first buck he saw but now he has a trail cam and he is seeing all these good bucks so he is a lot more picky. The age structure of bucks in Oklahoma is certainly increasing whether because of that or some other reason I don't know... Good luck when you start getting to go hunting! I have 2 jobs and one of them is Self employment but I make it a point since it is seasonal type work to be done before October 1st...
Okie...Just saw you buck in the bowhunter section. You are the MAN!!! Congrats on getting it done so early on a great buck!

It was certainly a "git r done" type situation. I knew he was going to leave pretty quickly from the area like usual so had to get after him when the getting was good... Thank you...
Nice buck! Congrats! Loved seeing the history on him leading up to the kill!

Thank you Dennis. Makes for great memories!

We have a lease down in Atoka county about 7 miles east of Stringtown. I also hunt some family land in Pott county in between Prague and Shawnee. My oldest deer have come from our lease. My avatar is the oldest deer that I have gotten so far. I think it aged out at 6.5 years. At our Atoka county lease we have a traditional deer camp and just hanging out around the fire has become as fun to me as the actual hunt. My kids are starting to become old enough to be able to enjoy it too.
Have you ever been stopped by the po po in Stringtown? I certainly have but luckily have avoided a ticket...

What you described is exactly why we keep our deer lease. We have all the amenities down there with the electricity. Have to haul water but I fill our tank on our camper so we have nice hot showers and running water. We have a nice fire pit and we bought and had a tin shelter installed out there with our long picnic table under it so we can all eat together even in the rain. We have our scales and skinning area, archery and firearm target ranges and a creek that runs right beside and behind camp. Everyone gets along and we take the grandkids down to camp and deer hunt and we have some really nice deer to pursue down there with plenty of land to roam on. We will keep it as long as we are allowed to...

That's a real nice deer in your Avatar. Congrats!

Have you ever been stopped by the po po in Stringtown? I certainly have but luckily have avoided a ticket...

What you described is exactly why we keep our deer lease. We have all the amenities down there with the electricity. Have to haul water but I fill our tank on our camper so we have nice hot showers and running water. We have a nice fire pit and we bought and had a tin shelter installed out there with our long picnic table under it so we can all eat together even in the rain. We have our scales and skinning area, archery and firearm target ranges and a creek that runs right beside and behind camp. Everyone gets along and we take the grandkids down to camp and deer hunt and we have some really nice deer to pursue down there with plenty of land to roam on. We will keep it as long as we are allowed to...

That's a real nice deer in your Avatar. Congrats!

Thankfully I never was stopped but had the car in front and behind me pulled over there. Your camp sounds like us but we don't have electricity. We love it there. I don't plan on getting off the lease until forced to. We have an outhouse there which includes a shower that heats the water using propane and deep cycle batteries to run the pump that pumps out of a tote.

Thankfully I never was stopped but had the car in front and behind me pulled over there. Your camp sounds like us but we don't have electricity. We love it there. I don't plan on getting off the lease until forced to. We have an outhouse there which includes a shower that heats the water using propane and deep cycle batteries to run the pump that pumps out of a tote.
That sounds great!

The man who owns our deer lease owns over 16000 acres right there and he has it all broken up into different leases. Our lease was billed as about 1300 acres but now that we have been able to use Measure my land tools we have found it is closer to 1500 acres which is better for us. Of the 6 different leases we are second smallest but our lease has a separate entrance than all the others because you have to drive past the owners house to get to all the other leases on his 7 mile long driveway but we come in across an easement south of him. We also had an old house place on our lease that had electricity and we were able to make a deal with the electric company to move the electric for us at a cost to where we wanted our deer camp which was about 1/4 mile from where it was. All the other camps are solar, battery, and generator camps...

Drought at Home 10...

ada48f64de9bada97b4fb4855479b804.jpg

11fe24c9e5c53c8f27b4fc72da1c4b73.jpg

6c7c4af7b986e4050741e390d04919b3.jpg

d89055fad7ec0a91f0abff603097cae9.jpg

Clover patch...

edb7922cc85d1a5bb3916deecf2087b7.jpg

Sawtooth

b38f5d7efe3d4be9c097c0f63c887fc0.jpg

Depressions right next to pond edge are fish spawning beds...

797067f69293dde169189a9105df5a55.jpg

Silver maple

777c229191602caf66b3be12084aed44.jpg

335559747dcb23efaa2032fe145ddf0f.jpg

Planted red oak near pond...this is the wet ground area...

3ccdd20e1e59c1662c9875f74493697f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loblollys

6b3538bc41e5ce7e24de379283e5033a.jpg

704da3f748b9ff6bb35c979d15885681.jpg

8c16cf8b9dfa6850848c24e475dd4966.jpg

ae44b55917c77e5e183732876b24fc80.jpg

Bayou

aae28f75f6b42a3f05b4eefeee3ec79d.jpg

2fd4cb6473a07d9130a4da252f1ccee2.jpg

5af6349e4231d173465b3ab5b9a2df82.jpg

5c3a84d6204760ac26d7e39fa7c40517.jpg

Less than 1/2" rain in over 2 months and then Kansas shared a little overnight...hope it was soon enough to save some trees...

0ff339e2fa34652cf997fa4663b11f60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the state seedling order form is up. I see Loblolly's, and Sawtooth's. I'll probably just go with one order of persimmons this year. Have too much going on to plant a bunch of trees in our rocks.

Kubota, man your place looks rough. Hopefully the weather liars don't let you down again with the rain we are supposed to get tomorrow.

Back