"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Congrats on the does!

You gonna cut that one big hollow snag? Can see it either on the road at some point or become a roman candle letting fire jump the road.

Sometime the sheriff can find a name or address on some the trash. Would be nice to have leo knock their front door!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I think I like habitat season almost as much as hunting season. Looks good to have the tools out. I bet the kiddos will be good help this yr! Good luck on your projects.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We had someone dump their Household trash on the property I work on once and facility management went out and found some of their mail in it. We gave it to the sheriff and they went and made them come and clean it all up. It was a full pickup bed of trash, dirty diapers, etc...I drove by while they were doing it and they sure looked down in the mouth about it...

I am getting to the point I like it as well as hunting but not quite there yet. I must have farmer blood because I love to see something I planted grow from the soil. I also like to see regen after the chainsaw and fire have been used. I am trying to get the grandkids into the outside work thing but not much luck yet...lol

still got some ducks to kill then I will be out doing some habitat work. Head out early on my day off and call yotes then do some work.
Day off day for dogdoc - pretty chilly over in our area but yotes and ducks both move well in temps like these. Good luck on the hunt!

Are you going to be hinging this year?

Wow! Great job.

Thanks...A lot more to go...just have to have a little time off to do it...

I see the same crap here and we have free dump at landfill once a month. Can't understand it. You are a machine with the chainsaw. Made me feel guilty for being a lazy ass today. Of course I was hanging out with my son who leaves tomorrow. At least that's my excuse. Loved the tri level screen.
About 1 mile from our house is a solid waste transfer station that also does free dump days but when you are lazy you just kick it out wherever it falls. We are really lucky in the fact that a huge hollow begins right at the edge of the county road smack dab in the middle of the southern half of our land and we own land on both sides of the road through there and nobody has dumped there in all the years my Aunt and Uncle owned it. No fence, far away from any houses and secluded would have made it the perfect spot to just pull up and throw your old mattress, etc...down in the holler but luckily that never happened and now it is so close to our house I don't think it will because I can see that spot from the backyard or from the dining room window and I don't think dumpers will take the chance...

I can hardly wait to fire the saw up again...I have big plans with it this year since we have owned for 3 years now and I know the deer travel patterns to a T right now so I am pretty sure I can only enhance what is already there. Only failure so far is a North Plot but it was just a small failure that I am remedying this year. That plot fed a bunch of deer and they felt comfortable in it at all hours of the day but the neighbors/friends of neighbors found out it was there and I think it became a contest to get as close as possible to it and stay across the fence...not a bad strategy but not one I embrace. Anyone out there can spend the money and do the backbreaking labor on their own place and do the same as I but they want to take advantage of my work which I am not keen on...

I am pretty proud of that road screen myself ;)

VERY,VERY NICE. That is an incredible edge now. It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to stay lazy watching what you do.
Thank you, It is sometimes hard to get motivated but I always look at all projects in the old "Eating an Elephant" context which go's "How do you eat an Elephant?" Answer: " 1 bite at a time..."
I expect to burn a bunch of gas and go through some chains this winter and when the dozer man gets free it is going to get really busy!

Congrats on the does!

You gonna cut that one big hollow snag? Can see it either on the road at some point or become a roman candle letting fire jump the road.
Thank you...Oklahoma has now gone into a weird deer trend of going from having quite a few deer everywhere to now only having pockets of deer...Home 10 is a pocket of deer. My cousin has 90 acres less than 3/4 mile from our place and they saw very, very few deer during the season and had an extremely poor season. I only hunted our 25 acres at "Home 10" with Eli and only on 3 occasions and we were covered up with deer and every time I drove over to check on it I saw many deer so decided to take a couple does for the pot off of it this year...

The snag you see in the picture has very numbered days...It was alive when we built the fence 3 years ago and that is the only reason it was left. I know a family of coons lives in that tree so when the saw hits it they are going to be in for a rude awakening...

Well, I can handle reading about Whitetail Hollow when Okie is in the deer stand, but WOW, I get tired reading about the habitat work. Okie only knows one gear. And the post started "I got the grandsons out for some habitat work......and SIX tanks of gas later" I thought "does he have those boys on the Stihl already?"
I still have the problem of sitting in a stand and thinking about work I could be doing to improve things. Problem is, on the morning hunts I decide too early that I should just get out of the stand and get to work. Okie is more disciplined in that regard and hunts when it is hunting season, and WORKS when it is not.
Good job, you are an inspiration to the rest of us. Now where are those chain saws that I need to sharpen and get to work! And those chestnut seedlings are not going to transplant themselves, And those new steps for the shooting houses. etc etc. But wait, Alabama hunting season goes thru Feb 10. Okie would not want me working during hunting season!

Well, I can handle reading about Whitetail Hollow when Okie is in the deer stand, but WOW, I get tired reading about the habitat work. Okie only knows one gear. And the post started "I got the grandsons out for some habitat work......and SIX tanks of gas later" I thought "does he have those boys on the Stihl already?"
I still have the problem of sitting in a stand and thinking about work I could be doing to improve things. Problem is, on the morning hunts I decide too early that I should just get out of the stand and get to work. Okie is more disciplined in that regard and hunts when it is hunting season, and WORKS when it is not.
Good job, you are an inspiration to the rest of us. Now where are those chain saws that I need to sharpen and get to work! And those chestnut seedlings are not going to transplant themselves, And those new steps for the shooting houses. etc etc. But wait, Alabama hunting season goes thru Feb 10. Okie would not want me working during hunting season!
Nah, the boys left Saturday afternoon and I did all the work by myself on Sunday...I tell my wife if I don't come in by an hour or so after dark you might want to come look under the downed trees ;)

I still have until the 15th to get ol mossy horns with a bow but it seems all my days off have south winds right now so I am just going to make a bunch of noise on my days off right now. In solid woods settings trail cams show that when I work mid day there is no deer activity on the property until after dark. We own land on both sides of the county road so the hunting area where I am working on the N side of the road is only about 65 acres or so.

With all the chestnuts and sawtooth acorns I got from you and Wayne I am getting ready to direct seed pretty soon in an area near our house and the entire North Plot will be direct seeded as well since it will no longer be a plot...

I got good news yesterday that the dozer man said we were getting close to getting started for the year and I have a bunch for him to do :D

With all the chestnuts and sawtooth acorns I got from you and Wayne I am getting ready to direct seed pretty soon in an area near our house and the entire North Plot will be direct seeded as well since it will no longer be a plot...

I got good news yesterday that the dozer man said we were getting close to getting started for the year and I have a bunch for him to do :D

Hope those acorns and chestnuts take off for you, and you get some well timed rains during their first couple of years. I was at the farm today and continue to like the looks of the sawtooth that I grew in 2012 and planted January 2013. Hope the direct seed method does the trick for you.

Love the does kills and the habitat work my friend. That little Stihl has all the spunk of that grandpup of yours. Nice job.

Okie...You set a high standard in habitat work my friend! Not sure I've ever run six tanks of gas even back in my younger days. Love the screening along the road. Be interesting to see what that looks like come mid summer when everything is green. You can't imagine how open our property looks along the county road after thinning. I notice vehicles slowing down much more now that pre-thinning cause you can see so far into the thinned pines. Working on a mix of way myrtle and cedars to create additional screening along the road.

Nah, the boys left Saturday afternoon and I did all the work by myself on Sunday...I tell my wife if I don't come in by an hour or so after dark you might want to come look under the downed trees ;)

I still have until the 15th to get ol mossy horns with a bow but it seems all my days off have south winds right now so I am just going to make a bunch of noise on my days off right now. In solid woods settings trail cams show that when I work mid day there is no deer activity on the property until after dark. We own land on both sides of the county road so the hunting area where I am working on the N side of the road is only about 65 acres or so.

I'm getting ready to direct seed mine also. What's the method you are going to do. I'll def protect them below ground as the squirrel are nosy little pests.

Hope those acorns and chestnuts take off for you, and you get some well timed rains during their first couple of years. I was at the farm today and continue to like the looks of the sawtooth that I grew in 2012 and planted January 2013. Hope the direct seed method does the trick for you.
I remember you using a middle buster to plant rows of acorns on your place. How did that end up working out?

Love the does kills and the habitat work my friend. That little Stihl has all the spunk of that grandpup of yours. Nice job.
I have several chainsaws but the little MS 170 is my go to for hinging. Light, maneuverable, and powerful for its size...Thanks for reading!

Okie...You set a high standard in habitat work my friend! Not sure I've ever run six tanks of gas even back in my younger days. Love the screening along the road. Be interesting to see what that looks like come mid summer when everything is green. You can't imagine how open our property looks along the county road after thinning. I notice vehicles slowing down much more now that pre-thinning cause you can see so far into the thinned pines. Working on a mix of way myrtle and cedars to create additional screening along the road.
Thank you sir...I do what I can when I have time. It is -2 degrees as I type this and will have to warm quite a bit before I can hinge again. Trees split more in these temps. I will see what I can get done later today/tomorrow.

e9660905ee096bfb20046bb97780ed7b.jpg

People are slowing down here to look at the hinge cuts. I am sure they are thinking I must be an idiot who doesn't know how to cut trees down but here in a year or so it is going to look natural and very, very thick!

I'm getting ready to direct seed mine also. What's the method you are going to do. I'll def protect them below ground as the squirrel are nosy little pests.
Nothing fancy, pop holes in the ground and drop acorns and cover. In my failed north plot experiment I am going to use my middle buster to make rows and plant, fill, pack and walk away...

I remember you using a middle buster to plant rows of acorns on your place. How did that end up working out?

Actually I used the rippers on my box blade to create furrow, and then covered with FEL. Middle buster or chisel plow will work.
I got several to come up but I did not protect them and they were eaten.
I did some of Wayne's chestnuts the same way and did kinda protect them. I have several seedlings to transplant this winter

arhpXMv.jpg

Good luck

Thank you sir...I do what I can when I have time. It is -2 degrees as I type this and will have to warm quite a bit before I can hinge again. Trees split more in these temps. I will see what I can get done later today/tomorrow.

e9660905ee096bfb20046bb97780ed7b.jpg

People are slowing down here to look at the hinge cuts. I am sure they are thinking I must be an idiot who doesn't know how to cut trees down but here in a year or so it is going to look natural and very, very thick!

Im wondering what the district forester will think of the mess i made today. :D

Back