When is it too late to mow clover?

Bowhunter

Because we've had such a wet summer this year our clover fields are doing really well and could possibly use another mowing. I typically only mow them once in the mid to late summer. I already mowed them in mid June because they were very high, but I wasn't sure when is too late to mow them if you want them lush for fall time?

I just mowed one of mine and hit two of them with 1 oz of roundup per gallon to kill the grass and weeds. Fingers crossed it works but we did have rain shortly after I sprayed.

Last edited:
Mid August is a great time to mow clover, there's still a lot of growing season left. I agree with chummer, mow a little bit higher than normal. If you have grass now is a good time to give it a shot of clethodim. But I would do that a week before or a week after you mow. Also, 8 oz of gly in the mixture for clover really makes the field look good.

Last edited:
I mowed this 2 weeks ago with a lawn mower set as high as it would go. Already heading back out.

sWaxak4RT-Df5tj6Mp-hoZaTAnV5nsdOfc_FY3dgbmPA7QNFDdcAsEp1VOiEW2iFUbOhj4uUEe85uTbKjuSABUQwxiN6Y-ZCa_xNYLDBA1LL7X5JgnXTcKZt_yP4107wyEvUzBLgppikHwL5Z9vCyMqKoC0ilVu58fxuM0yZSOpmZUlGZtBIUVoQ0edAvV9OLMVo7AtLUuhy1zjTf88Bcv2HuGIlVAEHVw6jGo6k5l4DfS8e3cd8PyA8qlZzR998CJY7ArZcUgHwFmmZ8F2-jTFaycy8fQOoL_dnFdgaDywpCLbWR3bifhp7EH3rtjHOTPyTf0wbvgwOLE9GrqtEPAoxKGENnRBnxvoq0hCPIjLdtoda0ooCBwRu7SvhGSD04ooH_GLMaObmOkHvS_IL8XAVxFRA5Pq7ffs11wLMDl0ieCqp1QDpXGT6SWNrW0lNgDD0gCQGmThm8CxGxOnoEEP5pVWXWAAT048VMV3cc2-WTphZeaonaN2M_r7Mpf7r98oT0ngeGJhATosZ3lHQscAD9GpjEjKXV8wX6wK7xn-sNcoB_jwU5hRpirHtw1T8ecWARLHgtiy3VquOdOjVsWWXlmuEyk1VZ4UTfNLBdfjXTDDPPsE1=w445-h593-no

These answers are really relative to your location. Here in the south, I think August would be a bad time to mow clover. It's usually the peak of our summer heat. Down here I think you would be better to wait until cooler temps rolled in on a mid to late September front.

I may mow above clover for weeds in fall but I never mow clover past July. Aug is our dormant month usually here and it rebounds in Sept. I do hit with 0-20-20 and cloth if needed mid sept.

These answers are really relative to your location. Here in the south, I think August would be a bad time to mow clover. It's usually the peak of our summer heat. Down here I think you would be better to wait until cooler temps rolled in on a mid to late September front.

Yep, and right before a day or two of rain

Back