What's eating my corn?

catscratch

First yr to plant corn, and have no experience hunting it. Corn is new to me!
So what's eating it? Is it coons, is it opening on it's own or is something opening it, rabbits, deer, etc?
a1adc2599bbab1eea3b9c128033f1889.jpg
0deceb4469196cac56058363de65a69f.jpg
01b47630650c119017ce7f75d1f6a5e2.jpg
9b9b255f9583ad9dbb1289ed1b0d6d16.jpg

Lol, it sure as hell is! I've enjoyed growing it that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

At least you got to see it grow. My one and only try at it, the hogs came the night after it was planted and went down every row eating the ten pounds I put out. It was just for a visual barrier anyway, but hell...........

Coons will rip the ear off and destroy as much as possible. Ive never seen squirrels do that, they usually take the whole ear and clean kernels off and the cob will lay under the tree they live in, but that's on ears that don't make it into a combine. My guess is deer, theyre eating it off the cob like you would an ear of sweet corn

No obvious deer tracks in the corn but there is rabbit crap. I've seen rabbits climb trees to eat brows on particularly rough winters... it wouldn't surprise me if they were standing up on tip toes to get corn. I'll have to watch for them a little better.

Coons knock it down to eat it. Deer eat it off the stalk standing. Although it looks odd, any bug problems in the area corn?

Coons knock it down to eat it. Deer eat it off the stalk standing. Although it looks odd, any bug problems in the area corn?
Great yr for bugs and we've been seeing crazy big bugs! Grasshoppers are very abundant! I don't know corn bugs though. Each ear that I open tends to have a worm near the tip.
18d341cfff38c8302259a92ddacfac9b.jpg
0bbb7d0a9a03858259687211c5968f01.jpg

No obvious deer tracks in the corn but there is rabbit crap. I've seen rabbits climb trees to eat brows on particularly rough winters... it wouldn't surprise me if they were standing up on tip toes to get corn. I'll have to watch for them a little better.

Its definatly not bug damage, never seen rabbits do that, then again all our corn has ears that are much higher off the ground. I've got a field with ears that are shoulder level on me (I'm just shy of 6' in my boots)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree. It's definitely not bug damage, but humor me. Cut the stalk. Is it hollow in the middle? Just eliminating a possibility. I do think it might, maybe be .......

Upon seeing the pictures this morning my first reaction was raccoons, especially little ones. But, if there are no stalks on the ground then it's probably something else. And, upon further review (as they say) in my experience if it is raccoons and/or deer, the corn doesn't last until the dent stage like what we see in your pictures. My second thought was birds. Crows? Turkeys?
It could be the perfect storm like with what Murphy said - Whatever can go wrong will go wrong. Some of the damage at the top of the ear I'm sure IS corn ear worm., but that's not the full explanation. The answer is, don't plant corn! Or, at that's what I've learned.

Back