What does it take for alfalfa?

Chipdasqrrl

I've been thinking about trying alfalfa next year, but from what I've read it's a rather picky plant that can sometimes be hard to grow. What kind of soil does it like? Where won't it grow? Anyone ever tried RR alfalfa?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

It's hard to do well in a mono culture. Well drained. Fussy about acidic ground,likes it sweet. Follow soil sample recommendations closely. Establish on well worked ,cultipacked soils with a wheat nurse crop. Needs to be mowed and collected unless you get the grazing variety when it's about half in bloom. It's work.
Or just toss some seed in with your clover planting .

Does shooter got it right, alfalfa is a crop that's going to need a lot of attention. And the deer like it, but probably not much more than clover, which is a much easier crop to grow. I see my dairy farmer friends investing a lot of time and money in their alfalfa fields. Why don't you give it try and let us know how it turned out for you?

My experience with alfalfa is pretty limited. I mixed it in with some clovers and chicory and it does OK, but it needs good, well drained soil, lots of sunlight and if your deer don't keep it clipped for you, you really need to mow/clip it and remove those clippings. I don't have the deer numbers so mine gets mowed, but I leave the clippings which has slowly eroded the population of it in the stand. The deer also seem to only like it when it hasn't hardened off so you need to get a variety that doesn't do that OR mow/clip. Most varieties are for grazing or haying operations so if you go that route make sure you get a variety suitable for your purpose. I don't regret adding it, but I certainly won't mess with adding it in the future on my place. Mine gets mostly hit in the spring when it wakes up and it's still young and tender, it gets stemmy in the summer and the deer pretty much ignore it for me. It is pretty drought resistant once established, but can be difficult to establish as well. Seed is comparatively expensive (vs clovers and the like) as well.

The amount of work and money depend on what kind of quality you want, dairy quality is a lot of work, but for regular beef cattle quality, not so much.
It also really depends on your soil, here, its not really all that much to maintain. We have irrigated alfalfa that's 7 years old and its had 1 application of 11-52-0 applied once in its life based on soil tests and we just got done baling 2nd cutting, it made right at 2 ton/acre. Its never been sprayed. It will need another 100lbs/acre of 11-52-0 before corn next spring to get it "perfect"
Dryland alfalfa can last 10 years or more here, depending on how much of a alfalfa/grass ratio you can tolerate.
For spring planting, Oats are a better option, in the fall Oats or wheat/rye/tritcale are about equal IMO, with tritcale giving the best feed/most tons, wheat makes a little better feed, and rye makes more tons.

RR alfalfa is great where its needed, like to the north of me in the Sandhills, they love it to keep sandburs out of the hay. Here not as much, usually by the time the grass is coming in hard its usually time to rotate it out. Alfafla is somewhat RR anyway, its hard to kill with just Rup, its one of those things that if you wanted it to die, it wouldn't, but if you accidently sprayed it, itd kill most of it lol. Also the seed cost is quite high compared to non RR. We use it on patches that we want to keep haying as long as possible.

Biggest thing is when you sow it, make sure you use plenty of lbs/acre of seed, cuz it really makes a difference, and it only goes down with time. We never sow less than 20lbs/acre, and used close to 25lbs on some we sowed this spring. Price was about $2/lb for non RR seed.

But there is the positive of if its a large enough patch for someone to hay, then it can help pay for itself, once it starts to get stemmy, have it cut and bale for hay and sell it or have it put up on shares and sell your share, usually the person doing the work will buy it. it will produce new tender forage with higher protein. Price will depend on how its put up and condition, but right now here, good large round bales are $80-85/ton, so as of right now on our established irrigated alfalfa ground, we had about 3 ton 1st cutting, 2 ton 2nd cutting and will easily get a 3rd cutting of another 2 ton, and some years we get 4 cuttings. So that's 7 ton to the acre, times $80/ton, equals $560/acre. If you're willing to deal with small squares, which is easier on small patches, and deal with "horse people" that price could easily double.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I'm glad you brought up the whole haying thing, because that's what put the idea in my head in the first place. A giant food plot (8 acre field) that I can put money into, and still come out with a profit while feeding deer.

I was thinking about it today while picking up bales, the only way the square bales are worth it are if you find "horse people" to sell it to and not "horsey people", the first are good to deal with, and the second will make you never want to make hay again. lol

I was thinking about it today while picking up bales, the only way the square bales are worth it are if you find "horse people" to sell it to and not "horsey people", the first are good to deal with, and the second will make you never want to make hay again. lol

There's a guy down the road from me that hays a whole bunch of fields in my area, so I'll have to talk to him about it. The only problem is that he's just doing grass fields, but he could lead me in the right direction. I know there's people with horses around here too, so even if I had to lower the price I'm sure I could get someone around here to buy it.

The problem is "Horsey people" are assholes, no way around it.

Here's how to identify "Horsey people"
They will show up in a brand new F350 Dually King Rach, might have a color matched Ranch Hand and aftermarket wheels and tires, might not depending on how long they've had it. It'll have every bell and whistle known to man. If the trailer is hooked up, they'll swing in so the don't have to back up, cuz neither of them can do it. The trailer will be about 50ft long but only enough space for 4 horses max, the rest is living space/tack room, and it'll cost more than most people's houses. They might not have the trailer, this will come to play later.

He'll get out wearing brand new ironed Wranglers with enough starch in them to stand by themselves, a pair of square toed boots without a scratch or scuff on them, a bought belt buckle big enough to get old school satellite tv on, a starched and pressed pearlsnap in some God awful color and a Stetson that looks just like George Straits. Gold chain and flashy watch are optional.

She'll also be wearing a pair brand new jeans that cost about $500, square toed boots that may or may not match his, and her shirt and jeans will have enough rhinestones on them to rival any 70s country singer. Her hair(most likely dyed bleach blonde) and makeup will both be done perfectly cuz that's the hardest thing she's done all day. Her nails will be painted up and studded with rhinestones, and with a length that rivals a bald eagles talons.
In that 50ft trailer there's a horse, which is hers, and it's either a old nag that's meaner than a snake and has a buck that rivals a world champ saddle bronc but someone convinced them was a 1D barrel horse, or one that was once a high dollar, very well trained and well bred horse, but now is spoiled rotten and full of bad habits, but she thinks is still worth big $$$ cuz it's 14th cousins grandfather twice removed was a NFR semi finalist.

They'll look at the hay, pull some stems out, talk between them, he'll ask if you had it tested, then click his tongue and inhale through his teeth when you haven't "cuz Crosseyedjennyelmersalpo needs xx% protein, baled under a full moon and blessed by the pope himself". Then they'll look and talk between them some more, he'll mumble something like "looks like it's been rained on" when it hasn't, then she'll find some grass or tiny weed that she's convinced the horse won't eat, or will kill it (it wont). Then she'll pipe up that "that other guy had better hay for $1 less a bale" (he didnt)

So then finally you get down to dealing, he'll shoot a super low price, even though what your asking is fair, cuz "it really looks like it's been rained on". Then you'll haggle with them for a long time and finally come to a price that's lower but close to what you wanted but they'll have to go through it and pick the bales.

So after you've moved all the bales about 3 times while they chose, they'll go to pay you, hopefully in cash cuz you can't trust their checks. If they have the trailer cuz they're headed to a rodeo (always are) they'll want you to load it on top for them cuz they "forgot" their gloves. Or if they didn't bring the trailer they add that they want it delivered for that price, after they've already handed you the cash/check, and you'll do it because you never want to see these assholes as long as you live.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

They will show up in a brand new F350 Dually King Rach, might have a color matched Ranch Hand and aftermarket wheels and tires, might not depending on how long they've had it. It'll have every bell and whistle known to man. If the trailer is hooked up, they'll swing in so the don't have to back up, cuz neither of them can do it. The trailer will be about 50ft long but only enough space for 4 horses max, the rest is living space/tack room, and it'll cost more than most people's houses. They might not have the trailer, this will come to play later.

He'll get out wearing brand new ironed Wranglers with enough starch in them to stand by themselves, a pair of square toed boots without a scratch or scuff on them, a bought belt buckle big enough to get old school satellite tv on, a starched and pressed pearlsnap in some God awful color and a Stetson that looks just like George Straits. Gold chain and flashy watch are optional.

She'll also be wearing a pair brand new jeans that cost about $500, square toed boots that may or may not match his, and her shirt and jeans will have enough rhinestones on them to rival any 70s country singer. Her hair(most likely dyed bleach blonde) and makeup will both be done perfectly cuz that's the hardest thing she's done all day. Her nails will be painted up and studded with rhinestones, and with a length that rivals a bald eagles talons.
In that 50ft trailer there's a horse, which is hers, and it's either a old nag that's meaner than a snake and has a buck that rivals a world champ saddle bronc but someone convinced them was a 1D barrel horse, or one that was once a high dollar, very well trained and well bred horse, but now is spoiled rotten and full of bad habits, but she thinks is still worth big $$$ cuz it's 14th cousins grandfather twice removed was a NFR semi finalist.

They'll look at the hay, pull some stems out, talk between them, he'll ask if you had it tested, then click his tongue and inhale through his teeth when you haven't "cuz Crosseyedjennyelmersalpo needs xx% protein, baled under a full moon and blessed by the pope himself". Then they'll look and talk between them some more, he'll mumble something like "looks like it's been rained on" when it hasn't, then she'll find some grass or tiny weed that she's convinced the horse won't eat, or will kill it (it wont). Then she'll pipe up that "that other guy had better hay for $1 less a bale" (he didnt)

So then finally you get down to dealing, he'll shoot a super low price, even though what your asking is fair, cuz "it really looks like it's been rained on". Then you'll haggle with them for a long time and finally come to a price that's lower but close to what you wanted but they'll have to go through it and pick the bales.

So after you've moved all the bales about 3 times while they chose, they'll go to pay you, hopefully in cash cuz you can't trust their checks. If they have the trailer cuz they're headed to a rodeo (always are) they'll want you to load it on top for them cuz they "forgot" their gloves. Or if they didn't bring the trailer they add that they want it delivered for that price, after they've already handed you the cash/check, and you'll do it because you never want to see these assholes as long as you live.

Lol very interesting, I'll make sure to watch out for the dually F350's

I don't mean to sound repetitive each time this is asked but alfalfa is way over dramatized for a food plotter. Without going into a lot of detail again, just mix a clover, chicory and cheaper non RR alfalfa and plant with a grain such as WR. Have your ph at 6.5+, your amendments at high levels, follow your soil test. Don't plant to much area so deer will do most your clipping for you and if need be mow at foot with hog at lowest rpm. You do not need to bale. Deer love the stuff, works nearly year round except when acorns fall. Great for dry times. Mine is 5 yo and still performs well. Search this forum and if you want look at my thread. Plenty of discussion on non farmer plot. Good luck. Variety the spice of life.

That is very
The biggest positive of alfalfa is the ability to make some $ off hay

That is certainly one positive. For a plotter with limited equipment, time , and land, it can be tough. If that's the plan, then most plotters be better to lease land and let farmer handle the soil, plant, insects of alalfa. It is a crop in demand.

I love my alfalfa. Its planted in a mix with ladino and red clover. The alfalfa thrives in the summer when ladino gets crispy. Don't have to remove clippings when I mow it cuz in a mix the alfalfa isn't too thick. I thonk my deer eat it and the red before the white.

That is funny stuff, but every word is true. I don't deal with them, but I know the type and they are EVERYWHERE and they are all the same. All about the image and the "lifestyle"......just as bad as them city folks that move to the country and live on 3 acres with city water and cable TV and refer to their place as "the farm" and their "tractor" is a lawn mower and measure their garden in square feet!

Back