Water feature, before and after.

Seabee

Well, If memory serves me right, about a year ago I was browsing the forum for ideas on water holes. My woods is high and dry on a hill. But, over the years I had a small spot that always seemed moist, maybe a 4 ft circle. So, not having any equipment I took it upon myself to dig a small test hole. It was mid summer and I used a post hole digger and dug about two foot down, left and went fishing. When I came back mid day the hole was full of water. So the next weekend I grabbed a shovel one cool summer morning and got to work on my water feature.

I kept tabs on it throughout the fall and into this spring, the water never dried up or even got very low. Recently the wife and I noticed the deer tracks were starting to become pretty frequent on the edges so I decided last Saturday to put a cam directly on the water hole. It has become the neighborhood hang out! That hole was hit 56 times this week alone. From bucks, to doe, to Turkeys. Fawns were playing in it, momma was drinking in it, and everyone seemed to stop and at least take a sip. Anywhere from high noon until 3am. Cant wait for my next project! I will keep ya'll posted.

Very nice! It pays to be observant. Looking at the freshly dug hole it looked like a definitely dry hole. Thanks for sharing.

Your keen eye gave you a super water hole. I wish I could find a spot like that. I am looking for a used kiddie pool. :rolleyes: (yard sale)

I remember when you dug that out with the shovel. Looks like it worked out great. Amazing how much traffic those little water holes get.

Nice addition there Seabee! How long did it take for you to see any real use of it? I dug out a spring on my place and got no use because it's too open. I have another spot picked out for another try but not sure when I will get to it.

Nice addition there Seabee! How long did it take for you to see any real use of it? I dug out a spring on my place and got no use because it's too open. I have another spot picked out for another try but not sure when I will get to it.
I never really paid much attention to it prior to last week. I dug the sides steep and the middle a little deep figuring the sides would settle in towards the middle. After viewing the videos from last week, I am going to go in and taper the sides a little better. the deer are a little hesitant and unsure at first stepping into the hole. Seems the clay is holding pretty well. It is in a small plot in my woods that measures 150' long by 50' wide. Its been pretty dry hear lately and thats why I think its been such a hit!

did anyone see the growing deer that they did on the water feature? Whatever they put down worked really well to hold water.

did anyone see the growing deer that they did on the water feature? Whatever they put down worked really well to hold water.

Call me crazy but I would have thought that they would have shown these two water holes sometime later to prove the system worked

Back