Walnuts

I live in grazing country. Not much ag around here. About the most we get is winter wheat fields for cattle. Because of this, bucks hit a lot of different food sources that guys in other areas say they don’t like.

You mention greenbrier... one of the best doe bedding areas I have EVER seen is on a piece of public land. There is about 100 acre patch is solid greenbrier with mature cottonwood trees thinly scattered throughout. I have literally never walked through, or sat the area and not seen a deer. (That’s unheard of in our very low deer densities) there is nothing better than thick cover that equals food!
7d75a215e7a5f51112f4c1108fc2989c.jpg

87ea606726654fbf62223c355365f1ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Last edited:
On my NE MO farm, some of the locust don't have thorns. I select for them when doing TSI, for the pods. Everything with a thorn gets the axe...

On my NE MO farm, some of the locust don't have thorns. I select for them when doing TSI, for the pods. Everything with a thorn gets the axe...

Ya, unfortunately the thornless trait is a recessive gene so most of their progeny will still have thorns. Same thing with the grafted improved varieties. They don’t have thorns, but 80-90% of their offspring do. Don’t know what I will use to replace the potential attraction for that time of year. Maybe just lean on apples, or early dropping and sweet persimmons.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back