Virginia open comments period

Gator, does Virginia not have laws that provide penalties, remedies and awards for damages for both civil and criminal trespassing?

Banning traditional methods of hunting through the setting of hunting seasons seems to be a slippery slope that puts all of our hunting rights at risk. It affects the rights of both the guilty and the innocent without due process.

Here's an example what I'm talking about:
ScottyMacEsq :
"Your basis for trespass at common law would be to prove "an unauthorized entry onto property which results in interference with the property owner's possessory interest therein." Cooper v. Horn, 248 VA 417, 423, 448 S.E.2d 403, 406 (1994)."
link: http://www.justanswer.com/law/5svba-need-file-civil-trespassing-claim-virginia-against.html

Read the whole case opinion here: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...er+horn+common+law+trespass&hl=en&as_sdt=4,47
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In addition to their allegations of negligence, the plaintiffs asserted a separate and distinct cause of action for common law trespass to land (trespass quare clausum fregit). This action derives from the "general principle of law, [that] every person is entitled to the exclusive and peaceful enjoyment of his own land, and to redress if such enjoyment shall be wrongfully interrupted by another." Tate v. Ogg, 170 Va. 95, 99, 195 S.E. 496, 498 (1938).

"[A] trespass is an unauthorized entry onto property which results in interference with the property owner's possessory interest therein." 5 Richard R. Powell, The Law of Real Property ¶ 707 (Patrick J. Rohan ed., 1994). Thus, in order to maintain a cause of action for trespass to land, the plaintiff must have had possession of the land, either actual or constructive, at the time the trespass was committed. Blackford v. Rogers, 2 Va.Dec. 292, 294, 23 S.E. 896, 897 (1896).

In addition, to recover for trespass to land, a plaintiff must prove an invasion that interfered with the right of exclusive possession of the land, and that was a direct result of some act committed by the defendant. Any physical entry upon the surface of the land constitutes such an invasion, whether the entry is "a walking upon it, flooding it with water, casting objects upon it, or otherwise." W. Page Keeton et al., Prosser and Keeton on the Law of Torts § 13, at 70 (5th ed. 1984).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hunting seasons were not meant to be set for the purpose of settling trespassing disputes.

Here's some good information for you to read as well:
http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1561&context=wmborj

Last edited:
My point was you can eat an elephant.. one bite at a time. Don't be put off by something that on the outset seems insurmountable. Nothing is insurmountable. I don't have an opinion either way on hound hunting, but if someone believes in a cause I advocate backing that cause with conviction and action and to get started on it today. That goes for parties on both sides.
Jeff

Gator, does Virginia not have laws that provide penalties, remedies and awards for damages for both civil and criminal trespassing?
No, Virginia believes they have the power to allow one's privilege to hunt supersede ones property rights. It's an easy lawsuit to win, but having the resources to do so not so much. One of the biggest problems in VA is almost all hunt clubs require their members to pay dues to the hound association giving them a lot of financial resources whereas the still hunters have no group and efforts to create one never materialize. Private property owners, mainly non-hunters, are the best chance to get rid of the hounds right now. How many horses, ponies, houses, cars, people have to get shot before VA realizes how dangerous the hound guys are?

No, Virginia believes they have the power to allow one's privilege to hunt supersede ones property rights. It's an easy lawsuit to win, but having the resources to do so not so much. One of the biggest problems in VA is almost all hunt clubs require their members to pay dues to the hound association giving them a lot of financial resources whereas the still hunters have no group and efforts to create one never materialize. Private property owners, mainly non-hunters, are the best chance to get rid of the hounds right now. How many horses, ponies, houses, cars, people have to get shot before VA realizes how dangerous the hound guys are?

You're ignoring the truth there, Gator. It didn't take me very long at all to find the truth, and I shared it in my post above.

Banning traditional methods of hunting to settle property rights disputes is a backdoor approach to the problem that affects hunters who are innocent. Settle your property disputes in court and leave hunting seasons to protect the wildlife. Hunting is a God given right ... not a privilege. Check chapter 9 of Genesis in the Holy Bible and see where our right to hunt originated.

I wish you luck Gator. Deer hunters are not a crowd that sticks together, so be prepared for a long road. If I had guys running dogs through my property while I'm sitting on stand, there'd be a scene. How in the hell is that land ever huntable again in a given season if a patrol of guys and dogs rolls through it? That sounds like a recipe for swiss cheese button bucks.

I can add that to the list of things I'm glad I don't have to deal with. That and rattle snakes.

Nothing like a good dog hunting thread to get the forum juices flowing. I suppose it just like anything else...some good dog hunters and some bad.
Anytime someone proposes, supports or advocates banning a particular form of legal hunting that I and tens of thousands of others enjoy there is going to be an equal and opposite reaction.

Anytime someone proposes, supports or advocates banning a particular form of legal hunting that I and tens of thousands of others enjoy there is going to be an equal and opposite reaction.

Yep but in my opinion, hunting my property with your dogs isn't legal (not saying you in particular are doing this but that's what is happening to everyone that I talk to).

Yep but in my opinion, hunting my property with your dogs isn't legal (not saying you in particular are doing this but that's what is happening to everyone that I talk to).

The point: If it's already illegal to hunt with dogs on your property as you claim, then use those laws that are already in place to take care of your problem. Why should you want to ban those who aren't part of your problem from hunting with dogs?

Back