TV Antenna instead of cable/dish

lakngolf

Anyone using one of the new-fangled TV Antennas? Lot of hype on the internet about coverage and reception. I know they will not get the espn's and fox's/cnn's of the world but I have about decided these are not needed. I am looking at options for my Mother's house out in the country, with no hills or trees to impede reception.

My thrifty/tight daughter in NC uses an antenna but reception is only adequate on a couple channels and you have to move to diff window for diff channel. They use mainly some type of netflix type connection to watch most shows, which aren't live. But they both work long hours so not much time for TV on their farm. Not sure how she survives without my 4000 ch of direct tv,:cool: I'd go insane and I don't watch much tv.

Couldn't pick up a single channel on the one I tried. Too far out in the boonies. We just go with Netflix and Hulu. Didn't like paying for 150 directv channels when we only watched a dozen of them. Only thing i miss is sports.

Couldn't pick up a single channel on the one I tried. Too far out in the boonies. We just go with Netflix and Hulu. Didn't like paying for 150 directv channels when we only watched a dozen of them. Only thing i miss is sports.
Most of them seem to be 30 day or 60 day guarantee, so I guess if I could be ready to try upon arrival, I would not lose anything except possibly shipping.

If you will google it. There is website that you can pick your location and it will tell you what channels you can get at your location. It was accurate for my hunting farm.

We have plain old antenna TV. It cost about $100 and it works great--gives us about twenty channels. We also have Amazon Prime --$100 per year. It gives us lots of free shipping and ROKU which gives us a huge amount of free internet TV and a fair selection of movies. Between the two we get as much TV as we could want. And the amazon prime saves us more than the $100 per year on free shipping for purchases made.

Last edited:
Each time we think about it we decide we can't do without sports. The wife mentioned it again the other day. She said we could drop it for the summer and start it back up in time for FB season if we haven't found another way by then. I'm game, less TV is always a good thing...

We have an antenna only and get 9 or so channels, do stream some stuff on prime. With small kids we decided we grew up without tv and video games they could as well. Don't miss sports except the local playoff games.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So much of it depends on your use and if you have good internet connection.My company provides up to 50meg,Digital TV and phone over the same fiber.We provide this to 100% of our customers and we have some that are 13 miles from the closest little town.The ATTs of the world will never provide this to country but alot of independent phone companies do at least here in Kansas.

So much of it depends on your use and if you have good internet connection.My company provides up to 50meg,Digital TV and phone over the same fiber.We provide this to 100% of our customers and we have some that are 13 miles from the closest little town.The ATTs of the world will never provide this to country but alot of independent phone companies do at least here in Kansas.
I have NO internet connection at my Mother's house other than cell, Verizon.

How far is she from the station transmitter?Now that they are digital the range is alot less thanks to the FCC wanting to sell those frequencies

I go back and forth, I'm presently on super basic Uverse, but still have antenna backup. I have the single version of this (DB2 I think). I've tried the stick on the wall indoor types in a suburban large city area, unimpressed. This can go in the attic or outside and options for what range you need. Antennaweb.org is one of those locator sites.
I have this just sitting on top of entertainment center and it works pretty well, winter better than summer of course because of trees.
You can get these on Amazon or others, just found the style here...
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB8_ultra-long-range-dtv-Antenna.html

Got rid of dish network two years ago and couldnt be happier. I have a large square omni directional antenna to pull from two different areas along with a booster. The booster made a huge difference. Each time you splice the coax cable or hook up another tv you will lose signal strength. found everything I need on amazon after a lot of research to get the correct antenna and booster.

At our house we went to antenna last year and bought a Roku for streaming channels like Sling, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.....our total bill was cut in half and we have all the stuff we basically want/need (and ALOT more still!). I am close to town (10-15 miles) so most antennas will work in this case.

We did install a long range antenna at the hunting property and it picks up all the main stations from 45-50 miles away.

I am running an $8 pair of rabbit ears from best buy and get about 40 channels (most aren't worth watching). But all of the major networks in HD. I think mine claims a 50 mile range, you can check availability here:

https://nocable.org/hd-antenna-coverage-map

I also have a Roku (need good internet with it) and Sling. For $30 I have most of the major networks and recently they added Outdoor channel and Sportsman's channel. Never going back to a $100 Dish network that wouldn't work in a light rain!

Back