Tony LaPratt boot camp?

Bullwinkle

He ran a full page ad in WON highlighting a new sure fire technique to kill monster buck that you can learn in his boot camp

Steve B gave him a glowing recommendation in the ad. Called him The Godfather of deer habitat

Anyone go? Worth the time and money?

$800. No food or lodging included. Two day class. Reading you have to sign a non disclosure agreement before taking the class

Gimmick? Sound like Steve B worships him? Heard Sturgis make positive comments too

Ed S is now speaking too

Not far away - MI. I was thinking of attending the Proving Grounds seminar till I saw this

Not looking for details on class but interested in opinions from anyone who went

I don't think we have had a good deer bed building discussion on this new forum yet! There has to be something there (either a good technique or good salesmanship) because he is still selling classes? That is one of the things I love about this forum - no NDA's!

No matter what tactics, no matter what gimmicks, no matter how much knowledge, if there are no monster bucks where you hunt you can't kill monster bucks. No disrespect to any of the "expert hunters", just like in business Location! Location Location!
I would be willing to bet that a large majority of committed deer hunters given time and the opportunity to hunt quality land would be just as successful. Just my $0.02.

I will be 100% honest - I am not dedicated to the desire of killing a monster enough to do what it takes to get there! Spending that $800 isn't going to convince me otherwise. He may have some great "tricks" - but without the rest of the true substance to go with it.....it's worthless.

its like paying someone to teach me how to drive this:
ferrari.jpg

Yet I drive this:
beater.jpg

Something doesn't smell right. He claims he sees 25 bucks a day on something like 25 acres and half is a plot - he can teach you how.

How do you get in and out with such a small parcel of land. He must have dug tunnels

Let's use some common sense here: If you are seeing 25 bucks on 25 acres a day two factors have to be present:

1. You are in a place with a lot of deer.
  2. You are in a place where they don't feel threatened. There is no secret plan that will make a deer walk out in the open in daylight if it feels threatened. With 25 acres, that means that the neighbors aren't pressuring them either.
So if you have the two things above - you don't need a boot camp to kill them. You just step out down wind and pop one!!!!

But, at the bottom of the screen, I see there are currently 30 robots viewing. Perhaps in Bizarro World, it could be necessary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_World

Last edited:
I'm with Jbird. I like the habitat work and the possibility of drawing big bucks onto my property, but I am not willing to do some of the things necessary to ROUTINELY kill big bucks on my place. Those things usually involve eliminating all other activity on your property and hunting only a few days a year when everything is PERFECT. I prefer to be able to enjoy my land all year. I try to be very low impact, and I have a large "sanctuary" on my place that gets almost no human intrusion. Unfortunately the neighbors dogs don't follow the rules and push deer all year long. That aside, I want to be able to enjoy my property with my kids, and if that means fewer big buck sightings then that's OK by me. We still manage to see (and sometimes shoot) mature 4+ year old bucks every season.

Just the words boot camp scares the crap out of me. Don't want to relive that. With that, I've certainly learned things about subjects over the years from people I didn't even agree with. Sometimes even then you can pick up a tidbit of info to use, so guess its up to is it worth it. My response tho is the typical " Looks like dog chit, smells like dog chit, tastes like dog chit, so must be dog chit". 25 bucks with a monster included???

Never attended LaPratt's boot camp, but I was tempted when I first bought my ground. I have a few comments:

You guys alluded to the fact that LaPratt sued a couple Michigan guys for divulging his secrets. I believe LaPratt lost the suit. So it stands to reason if you want to find out his "secrets" without paying the $800 you could buy Brauker's e-book for $20 bucks (I got it on sale for $16). Like anything, I was able to take a few concepts and apply them to my property, but, naturally, a lot of it doesn't work for my situation. My approach has been to read the works of multiple gurus (Alschiemer, Bartylla, Brauker, Higgins, Spinnazzola, Sturgis) and take a "little here and a little there" to tailor a plan for my property.

In this day and age information is pretty cheap. Some of it's worth paying for and some not. LaPratt's ideas are great, but not worth $800, in my opinion, when you can get similar information on forums, books, QDMA habitat days, etc.. I'm surprised his business model has held up so long. To me, the $800 would be better spent on lime and fertilizer.

Back in college there was a drinking game where you took a drink everytime someone said "hello Bob" in one of Newheart's shows.You could do the same with Lapratt's website with the words "ultimate, enhanced, or exclusive." If you are able to to make it through this game you may be a proffesional at the drinking thing.
All joking aside, very thankful for the sharing of knowledge on this website.

It always amazes me how some concepts can be made to be more complex than they are. Want to lose weight? Eat less and exercise more. Want to shoot big bucks? Let them grow old, don't pressure them, hunt them only when conditions are perfect.

I'm with Jbird. I like the habitat work and the possibility of drawing big bucks onto my property, but I am not willing to do some of the things necessary to ROUTINELY kill big bucks on my place. Those things usually involve eliminating all other activity on your property and hunting only a few days a year when everything is PERFECT. I prefer to be able to enjoy my land all year. I try to be very low impact, and I have a large "sanctuary" on my place that gets almost no human intrusion. Unfortunately the neighbors dogs don't follow the rules and push deer all year long. That aside, I want to be able to enjoy my property with my kids, and if that means fewer big buck sightings then that's OK by me. We still manage to see (and sometimes shoot) mature 4+ year old bucks every season.
I echo Doctorbrady. We take our fair share of really nice bucks on our place but we also use the farm for plain old fun and recreation with the family. Picnics, Christmas tree hunts, Easter egg hunts, joy rides on the ATVs, plant i.d. games with the grandkids, etc, just add to the experience. Come hunting season a lot of that slows way down. But even then, I still take pleasure in doing my "security patrols" around the property just to enjoy what we own. I'll take memories like this over obsessing over staying out of the woods cause it's a deer hunting property.
Easter egg hunt.JPG

Last edited:
I'm with you triple C. I'm on the farm every possible hour of every possible day. And want my family to enjoy it , participate with it, and use it as much as they can. I have friends and family on the farm almost everyday including hunting season. Wouldn't have it any other way. With all that we still manage t grow a few nice bucks. How nice!

Your picture says it all. Awesome. Makes me happy just seeing it.

Not taking anything away from Tony. I am sure he is great at habitat management and manipulation to improve deer sightings. No doubt he has a lot to offer, but in the end there aren't a lot of trade secrets these days. You can only improve habitat so much, and can only control so many variables. I could manipulate the deer more on my place with fencing and so forth to force deer into pinch points, but I enjoy outsmarting or out maneuvering them in their own habitat on even terms. I do manipulate natural structure a bit with hung cutting and edge feathering. I also use natural screens a good deal, but I don't want things so contrived that I can't enjoy sitting and LOOKING at my woods and prairie.
If I had many different plots of land to hunt, I might reserve one or two for perfect condition hunts only, but with only a single piece of property I am blessed to call my own that is not an option. Every deer and turkey my guests or boys harvest brings a far greater smile to my face than the one I would have if I hunted the place all alone and killed a giant.

Here is my 2, ok, maybe 3 cents :)

Only reason I am chiming in, is the properties that I hunt are around 10-12 miles away from his Boot camp property, so I think that makes a difference about the area. Also, living in MI, I walk properties that are owned by people who have attended, and also have had private visits, etc.

All of MI is not created equal, so a lot of times the hype behind his situation is because its "MI". He gets an amazing amount of praise because he does have success in a state, where most don't. However hunting 10-20 acre woodlots in that area, I can definitely say that his set up is good, and his results are good, but not really any different than what we experience with our hunting, and with our set ups. Which is also good. We use all the techniques discussed on old forums, and this one. We hunt half his acreage, 2x as many hunters, and I have days where I see 20+ bucks, and most days usually 7-10. Most are 1.5 yrs old, but killing a good buck like he posts are not as rare in that area as most of the state. They are great deer, and not knocking him, but to bring in those kind of paychecks based on those deer on the wall, in that area, is crazy to me. I don't think he could have pulled off his marketing in any other state, for this many years. We have the most hunters, most fragmented private land, and most desperate hunters for any edge. A secret society of deer hunting knowledge that your neighbors don't have, and he promises to never do a private visit to any of them if you pay for a private visit ??? like a virtual infomercial. This offer may expire tomorrow if your neighbor calls. ACT NOW !!

I don't think he has any mind blowing information that people that aren't as passionate as the people who visit these type of forums have from years of tinkering, reading, posting, etc. It may just do the same as a book, post, etc, is Highlight something that you are doing, or could do better, or more of, etc. Sometimes that is worth a lot if it makes you work harder, or put more of a priority on an aspect that you are lax in, etc.

For example, I am in my mid 30's so I have a pile of friends that hunt their parents land, or have just purchased new ground, etc. Haven't been logged in 50 years. No access screens, etc. Wide open woods, and deer can see you from 500 yards away. I talk, and talk, and show them pics, walk them on our property and they are blown away, and in aw at the work/difference, etc. and they wont get the woods logged, or fire up a chainsaw in 10+ years of talk. Its a big step and commitment. They go to a 2 day BC, and the next day are calling loggers to get them to come out, ordering trees, or seed to make their ultimate bedding and screening. They no doubt will have the best hunting they have ever had 5 yrs later after attending an BC. Deserve credit ?? Something about paying for information, or being in a tight lipped club to make you more enthusiastic about habitat work and actually pulling the trigger on some projects. Doesn't matter, I guess. Its human nature to act like that , and long story short, the BC did help them get past their mental block, or because it was a "professional" gave them the leverage to convince their hunting partners to move forward. Probably worth the 800$ just for that. Sometimes a 20$ book can do the same, others wont be convinced till they pay more. People just have odd ways of needing confidence.

On the skeptical side of just the claims. He does own land with his business partner in OH as well as MI. He use to post their harvest pics as " MI trophy" ,now just labeled the year/trophy.
Being a salesman, and this situation of exclusiveness/no technology has its advantages with anything he claims. ONLY 2 people hunt their properties, both of which are partners in the business. Never has used a trail camera, never has video taped any hunts, etc. Which is fine, but when you are a millionaire by marketing yourself on these claims, you could charge double if you were willing to prove it. Not proving it may have bigger advantages in some situations ??

NOW his property is new and improved with buck zoning system. I'm trying to crunch the numbers on this statement. They have 23 acres of woods. They run boot camps starting the first week of March where they march people all through the woods during the end of shed drop of the bucks. Yet, 2014 they claim they picked up 44 sheds, and in 2015 they picked up 46 sheds. Neighbors walking their properties, cutting wood, shed hunting, bunny hunting etc all winter and during that time, Struggling with believing this.....

Just my observations. I hunt in that area, and have learned 800$ worth of info from all of you, so I wanted to let you know a bit more about the area/situation as its different than 85% of the rest of the state. His property is set up very good and he has worked hard, just like most of us. I bet we'd be impressed walking his property, just as walking any of our own. I bet we wouldn't charge each other 800$ though ;)

Back