Today's plantings

Hillfarm

I got a half a dozen fruit trees in the ground today, while the ground was thawed, just before the rains set in.

Me, and my help, dug holes before stapling screen to the lower portion of trees.
Screenshot_20190128-213013_Gallery.jpg

I stick the trees in the holes and cover them, after the screens are put on, to avoid the roots from drying out.
Screenshot_20190128-213045_Gallery.jpg

We spread the roots out, add some soil conditioner in layers with our clay, top off the hole, and water the tree in, a couple of times.
Screenshot_20190128-213100_Gallery.jpg

I add a box, that we use for a weedmat.
Screenshot_20190128-213111_Gallery.jpg

Then we fenced in our trees.
Screenshot_20190128-213120_Gallery.jpg

Since I also planted about another half a dozen bare root chinquapins, I saved the rest of the work, (clipping the fences to the posts, one foot above ground), for next week. I will also come back later, to add about a pint of pea gravel, around the base of each tree, and some mulch, out to beyond the edge of each box.

Last edited:
It amazes me what happens in other parts of the country when we have negative windchills and over the past 36 hrs damn near 3 feet of snow.

It amazes me what happens in other parts of the country when we have negative windchills and over the past 36 hrs damn near 3 feet of snow.

I still have another half a dozen fruit trees to plant; but, I will wait, until the ground thaws again.
What time of year do you plant trees, where you are located?

BTW, If it makes you feel any better, we got freezing rain last night, and all my doors are frozen shut this morning.

Last edited:
I wanted to add, on the north side of the orchard are nut trees, that are in the tree tubes. I don't plant fruit trees in tree tubes due to disease and issues with borers.

I should have posted this, in the emetzger's weekend project thread.

Last edited:
Back