Whatcha gonna do when Sheriff Native Hunter come for you
Tell me, Whatcha wanna do, whatcha gonna dooo - Yeaheah

Sweet Gum, Sweet Gum Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When he come for you
Sweet Gum, Sweet Gum Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When he come for you

Ye36cL7h.jpg

Looks like a mean piece of equipment!
-20 here last week tomorrow and Monday 60.

I know what you mean. We were mid 50s today and tomorrow is supposed to be 65. Hard to stay in the house with weather like that - especially when coming out of the deep freeze.

What's your take on cutting vs garlon4? Are these gum trees volunteers in a meadow? When I cut gum trees they just grow right back, I'm ready to kill them permanently.

The DR mower will kick ass on anything it can run over and anyone operating this beast

no need for gym memberships/fitness programs,etc if you own one

bill

What's your take on cutting vs garlon4? Are these gum trees volunteers in a meadow? When I cut gum trees they just grow right back, I'm ready to kill them permanently.

This is in an area of a tree planting where I've not done any work killing the volunteer sweetgums for several years. These are trees that are competing with the oaks I planted. Most of the oaks are way ahead of the gums and don't need any help, but there are a few places where the gums need to be knocked back one last time.

On all cuts (whether with the DR Mower or Chainsaw) I'm going back within the next few minutes and treating the cut stumps with straight Gly. I agree with you that if you don't treat in some way, it is a waste of time, because the gums will come right back.

I've not done the basal treating (without cutting or hacking) using Garlon 4, but that's something I plan to try in the future. My thoughts would be to only use it when I'm killing something not too close to a good tree. It sounds like you have experience with this, so I would like to hear your methodologies. Also, do you think Crossbow mixed with diesel would work as an alternative to Garlon 4?

The DR mower will kick ass on anything it can run over and anyone operating this beast

no need for gym memberships/fitness programs,etc if you own one

bill

Amen Bill, and watching those sweetgums chewed to pieces is therapy for the soul!!!

20190203_125030.jpg Basal treatment is way less work than cutting or hack and squirt if you have large area to cover. I buy Agristar 61.2% Triclopyr for about $65 a gallon (same product as garlon4) and mix 1/3 triclopyr & 2/3 diesel fuel by volume to end up with about a 25% triclopyr mix as recommended. There are university studies that show a good kill ratio on smooth bark sapling species with rates as low as 5%, which I'm contemplating for some red maples in my oak stands, just to save money, but up to now I've only been using the 25% mix, which can get costly. Cross contamination is not an issue if you don't hit the bark of another tree. Triclopyr is neutralized in the soil within 30 days and is not prone to leaching. I have an NRCS contract on 50 acres that requires me to use the 25% mix to kill invasives like tree of heaven. I've never used crossbow, it's 2/3 24D, I'd rather have the mix stronger on triclopyr for my $, triclopyr is sure death on woody species.

Wondering about risk of herbicide getting translocated from roots of Target tree to intermingled roots of nearby trees??

Is basal spray any different risk for that or is it some other factor like chemical type or something else that causes impacts on nearby trees?

Wondering about risk of herbicide getting translocated from roots of Target tree to intermingled roots of nearby trees??

Is basal spray any different risk for that or is it some other factor like chemical type or something else that causes impacts on nearby trees?

My understanding is that the concern is getting overspray on the bark of nearby trees when doing basal treating with a diesel and herbicide mix. You just need to be careful and only get the mix on the target and treat down to just above the groundline.

As stated above, I have only done stump treating with Gly, and have never seen a nearby tree affected.

Cross contamination is not an issue if you don't hit the bark of another tree. Triclopyr is neutralized in the soil within 30 days and is not prone to leaching.

Back