Throw and mow ?

Drycreek

image.jpeg Guys, on a property I own I have three IC pea plots that really did well this year. Planted in May and still going strong due to the rain we've had this summer and the relatively low deer densities on this place. We just got about two more inches yesterday and I'm thinking these peas might last into September. Our bow season starts September 30 and I want to have wheat/rye planted by the middle of September at the latest. I've never done the throw and mow, but I want to try it. It would save me time, money, and turning up weed seeds at the least. A few "ifs" here, but if the peas are still viable, can I broadcast my grains and mow the peas pretty high to let the sun in and still have some "mulch" on my seeds ?

If the deer clean up the peas and only vines are left, would that necessitate discing or could I broadcast seed and mow close and expect a crop ? I appreciate any and all comments !

This pic taken July 19th.

Broadcast and mow should work just fine if there is still organic matter left to chew up and lay over seed. Even if not, seed And mow would work very well with grains/ clover if this moisture pattern continues

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

You'll probably have good look with cereal rye in that situation. If the peas are gone and the soil surface is soft....you could probably get by with broadcasting seed and then just dragging it in with something that won't grab too much vegetation. Maybe something that's mostly pressing things and scuffing up the surface a little.

You'll probably have good look with cereal rye in that situation. If the peas are gone and the soil surface is soft....you could probably get by with broadcasting seed and then just dragging it in with something that won't grab too much vegetation. Maybe something that's mostly pressing things and scuffing up the surface a little.

I've had really good luck with a homemade tire drag. I don't own a cultipacker but I'm think of buying one.

Back