This Should Be Interesting

Semisane

A section of our hunting lease next to one of my plots was clear cut last spring. I can see a good bit of that area from the box stand on my plot.

Around the end of September the fresh growth on the clear cut area was sprayed with herbicide by helicopter. I just found out there was a controlled burn of the dead vegetation on that section last week.

I'm heading there tomorrow and will spread a sack or two of winter wheat seed in the ashes.

A section of our hunting lease next to one of my plots was clear cut last spring. I can see a good bit of that area from the box stand on my plot.

Around the end of September the fresh growth on the clear cut area was sprayed with herbicide by helicopter. I just found out there was a controlled burn of the dead vegetation on that section last week.

I'm heading there tomorrow and will spread a sack or two of winter wheat seed in the ashes.

Well it may be a little off this year but will be a goldmine in time to come ...we did a woods burn 2 years ago in big but open timber ...the forbes and browse exploded ...we do not even keep a "hit list" now as the choices are many

Bear

Trails will definitely change. We had a small area next door logged, 5 acres maybe, and where they used to cross the line in the middle of that area, they now walk the edges and come into our plots at a 2 different places dependent on the wind i guess. One spot was directly under a stand, so we will move it after season. Movement still seams on par with last year from trail cam surveys, but trails are different. Long term I have a feeling the deer will be using that cover and browse, and will have to take that into consideration.

And depending on what they sprayed you very well may not be able to grow anything out there, a lot of what they use has residual effect.

They sprayed our lease one year and it killed trees up to 12" in diameter......plus, nothing grew there for at least a year.....then gradually the grasses and small sapplings came back.

Whatever they spray....it mean business! Ha!

Back