Native Hunter

• No fire blight
  • No CAR
  • No Scab
  • No Mildew
  • No disease
  • No thorns or briers
  • No blooms ever frozen out
  • No insects (a few birds, but plenty for you and them)
  • No pollination problems - every limb loaded with fruit every year
  • No limb training
  • Just wonderful fruit and lots of it

Last edited:
Of all the pear and apple varieties my Hewes crabapples are what checks off everything on your list on my farm

Of all the pear and apple varieties my Hewes crabapples are what checks off everything on your list on my farm

That's good to know. I have a young Hewes fruiting for the first time this year. Come to think of it, it did look nice and clean when I looked at it Saturday.

My mulberries don't fruit every year. About every 5th year or so. Not sure if it's a pollination issue or what. But when they do....

Native - are those reds or whites? Reds are native in my area, but I am pretty sure all I have are whites. Even at that the birds like the fruit and the deer will browse young leaves in traffic areas on my place. From my perspective once they grow out of reach of deer they are of little use to them.....I have had decent luck hinging them in the past. The whites are more "invasive" in nature on my place so I don't manage for them, but I don't seek them out to destroy them either. They like to try to invade my CRP areas and will grow quickly if allowed.

Here is a link I found to try to tell the difference between red and white if anyone is interested.
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr_237.pdf

Mulberry are awesome. I've found that deer love the leaves, don't know about browse or berries.
Catfish love mulberry also! Find one overhanging a creek when they are dropping and you'll find fish under it.

Mulberry are awesome. I've found that deer love the leaves, don't know about browse or berries.
Catfish love mulberry also! Find one overhanging a creek when they are dropping and you'll find fish under it.

I've shot a ton of carp with my bow beneath overhanging mulberries. I see guys are now tying mulberry flies to catch them ole sucker mouths!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I thought you were going to post the next latest, greatest, cant live without, perfect drop time, annual bearing, apple tree!!!!!!! But i like mulberries too. :D

Back