The Brushpile

Happened here too, mid to upper 70s for almost two weeks, 14 the last few morning with 5" of snow. Trees were all budding, grass was gettin green ect.

Hot and humid tonight, with a severe storm two hours away. Tornado watch until 6 A.M.. I'm thinking about mowing the lawn in February!

I don't have a gauge out this time of year but the month of February ended with .25 of an inch of rain. We got lots of wind and lightning, enough to scare my wife into waking me up because she thought it was a tornado!

With all your knowledge on plants,I have a question about cedars.I moved some last year with a tree spade and we had rain that night and good rain thoughout summer.Now they are an off green instead of green.Where they are isn't the greatest soil so I am wondering if it's a mineral deficiency as they are alive and soft without any falling material

With all your knowledge on plants,I have a question about cedars.I moved some last year with a tree spade and we had rain that night and good rain thoughout summer.Now they are an off green instead of green.Where they are isn't the greatest soil so I am wondering if it's a mineral deficiency as they are alive and soft without any falling material
That's normal. Young cedars will almost look dead before they break dormancy. A dead cedar is light brown, and there is no mistaking it. Your cedars will be fine.

Hey Brush, great to see you still plugging away. I'm sure I will catch up eventually...what is your big project for 2017?
Mother Nature planted lots of trees that I don't want, and they are overtaking what I planted, so I'm essentially weeding the Brushpile of trees like Honey Locust, Osage Orange, Chinese Elm, Walnut and anything else I didn't plant. My focus has switched from apples to pears, and I have lots of chinkapins and chestnuts.

My advice is to plant in rows that can be mowed, which keeps invasive and unwanted junk in check. Still trying to grow a food plot, but rain has still not come. February ended with .25 on an inch!

My first female Teckel pup arrives from Montreal on Monday night. I'm told she's beautiful, and she's from German parentage. Her kennel tracks moose for Canadian outfitters. A second female will soon follow, and she has famous bloodlines for tracking.

Good to hear from you TRADEMARKTEXAN!

I am creating a very small and very select Teckel Kennel. I would like 3 females, Mrs. Brushpile would like two. My Male is a European import from a German Champion Tracker, this female is from German Champion parentage used to track moose, and my second female is from bloodlines connected to the man who wrote the book on tracking deer. My goal is to find every wounded deer we track, and I will raise a few puppies for that purpose. Finding deer is my primary goal and I will breed tracking dogs, not pets. Though my tracking dogs are our buddies, live in our house, and the kennel is for when we leave the house.

It's time to be planting cuttings. This is the handiest tool I have. This tool makes pilot holes for cuttings, tomato cages, bamboo stakes or anyplace else I need a hole. With this tool I have planted where a hole couldn't be dug, and it's planted so many cuttings that the tip of the rebar is rounded and polished.

hey brush. what are the measurements. I think I will get one made to match
The tool is 48" long and 11" wide. The probe is 12". Even when I'm not planting I use this tool. In the Spring it makes a pilot hole for turkey decoys.

Dad gum weather! Red Flag fire warning after a night of destructive weather. My new pup and I just returned from Kansas City International at 5:30 in the morning because of flight delays.

Rain at last, but tornados are SW 45 miles. The news showed hail the size of Cutie Oranges, in doctorbrady's neck of the woods.

Back