Swamp chestnut

possum

A friend is giving be a bunch of swamp chestnut oak saplings, a couple feet tall he said.
I ordered a bunch of sawtooth oaks and some other species this year that I will be planting around food plot edges next month.
With limited space, I'm struggling to think of open spots I could plant these swamp chestnuts oaks.
Can I plant these in my hardwoods? Would they do ok under a shaded canopy or do they need more sunlight?

Like almost any oak - they will do far, far better with lots of sunlight.

If you have too many I would consider planting them in clusters of 2 or 3 - then you can later ( a few years down the road) remove the weakest of them and have insurance that you have them grow. If you plant a single tree and it's damaged or dies - you don;t have a tree in that spot. By planting 2 or 3 there you can put more odds in your favor and a few years down the road and a quick zip of the chainsaw will remove those that struggled and allow the strongest to survive and thrive. I wouldn't plant them in the same hole - just say a foto or more apart. Just an idea.

Remember, sawtooth oaks are wind pollinated; you need to plant several in a group (you pick the configuration) ... with trees about 16-20' apart.

Man i've never heard any of this about sawtooths, mine aint planted right at all if this is the case.

The only thing I've found about sawtooths is that they must have good light to produce acorns. They can grow tall with poor light, but they won't produce.

Besides that I wouldn't worry too much. They are fairly fool proof. Don't sweat it.

I just have a few scattered about 40yards apart from each other amongst some 30ft tall mulberries that are nearing the end of their life. They are fairly shaded most of the day which isnt ideal I know but hoping they still grow and get taller than the mulberries that will eventually get thinned out.

A neighbor has some sawtooths planted on the edge of a fence,with another row of trees just outside of it.They are prob 15 feet apart and have been there at least 18 years.They are tall and big enough trees prob 10" across at the base and no acorns of any kind. They make a nice screen but without that sun,no acorns.

Good buddy of mine who has an outfitting business has a number of field/food plots with saw
A friend is giving be a bunch of swamp chestnut oak saplings, a couple feet tall he said.
I ordered a bunch of sawtooth oaks and some other species this year that I will be planting around food plot edges next month.
With limited space, I'm struggling to think of open spots I could plant these swamp chestnuts oaks.
Can I plant these in my hardwoods? Would they do ok under a shaded canopy or do they need more sunlight?

Possum, my friend often plants mast trees down the middle of his food plots (they make great stand trees, too...you blend right in). Do you have the space to consider this option?

from the USDA ......

Establishment of sawtooth trees ......
"One year old seedlings should be planted 15-20 feet apart for maximum acorn production. In areas where
multiple rows are used, the spacing should be no less than 20 feet apart. There should be at least 15 plants
per planting for effective wind pollination."

Back