Stone Branch, build it, they will come.

Dang man, that is neat. When I added on to lake house found some old PBR cans stuffed inside concrete blocks.
How often do you have to sharpen chain on that saw!!! And I bet you could sell truckloads of shavings!

Dang man, that is neat. When I added on to lake house found some old PBR cans stuffed inside concrete blocks.
How often do you have to sharpen chain on that saw!!! And I bet you could sell truckloads of shavings!

Sycamore is really gentle on a chain, I was making 9-10 cuts per sharpening, oak would be 3-4 cuts/sharpening.

DSC04044 (1200 x 800).jpg

My redecorating spilled out into the next room over, yesterday, I'm back into some nice chestnut boards.

DSC04052 (1200 x 800).jpg

After a run to the landfill in the next county over the osb and 6 layers of linoleum came up off the floor. The two layers of floorboards are in pretty good shape.

DSC04056 (1200 x 800).jpg

The wall boards were then able to come off. The east wall is solid.

DSC04059 (1200 x 800).jpg

There is one partially rotten log in the bottom corner of the south wall.

DSC04054 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

You do remember G that you trashed talked that crappy structure when you first looked at property??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How tall are the ceilings?

The ceilings down and up are about 6 1/2'. With the second floor removed I will have 14' walls.

I would frame that,cool project

Thanks, my plan is to wrap the outside with foam board and 2x4's.

You do remember G that you trashed talked that crappy structure when you first looked at property??
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do, I called it a rat hole. It has grown on me and is looking more and more like an authentic rustic log cabin.

G

Just now getting caught up on this thread, wow that’s a lot going on in the hills and hollows of Kentucky. Love the progress of the log cabin.

Just now getting caught up on this thread, wow that’s a lot going on in the hills and hollows of Kentucky. Love the progress of the log cabin.

Hi, thanks John Paul. I'm guessing that you go through much of the same as I but on a larger scale, never enough time. My back is feeling it today.

I found out yesterday that the supposed septic tank and field for the old cabin is actually a pipe from the toilet straight to the creek.

DSC04067 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04071 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04075 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04078 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04082 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04083 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Looking good G, and Tiny will also enjoy eating some of those persimmons if he can beat the deer to them.

Cousin Eddie would say that toilet line to the creek is the "...gift that keeps on giving..." I'm busy here as well. I've been direct seeding chinkapin nuts, cutting firewood and doing various spring chores. Going to eat lunch with dad today and collect scions from an old pear that someone found this afternoon. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Steve, I had never seen persimmons at box stores before. RK stock comes from Freedom tree farms in Tn. The persimmons are a variety of American persimmon that is self-pollinating.

G

I kind of cheated when I dropped those trees standing next to my cabin and entrance cable yesterday, I tied them to the ball of my truck before I took the saw to them. When I was a kid my reactivity level to urushiol was about a 9 out of 10. As an adult I don't give poison ivy much thought anymore being more like a level 1 now. Today I have a level 1 on the of my nut sack.

DSC04072 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Three/four pears there too? Pears have mostly done well at our place, especially the asian varieties I've tried.

In our neck of the woods, not surprised by that pipe to the creek. From what I've seen unless the creek is really close they didn't even bother going that far in some cases. IIRC the realtor who had the place listed before you bought - if in doubt, he would likely tell you there's a drain field, from my limited experience with him (1 day). ;)

With that said, when I first saw that listing hit the market ~ 1 year before you bought it, I thought he was heavily overselling the value of the house on it. But I gotta say the right buyer ended up with it. You're well on your way to making good on those flowery real estate ad predictions. Nice work!

And dang, I didn't even realize we had a Rural King in Maysville. I always just hit TSC or Lowes down there. I should get out more.

Three/four pears there too? Pears have mostly done well at our place, especially the asian varieties I've tried.

In our neck of the woods, not surprised by that pipe to the creek. From what I've seen unless the creek is really close they didn't even bother going that far in some cases. IIRC the realtor who had the place listed before you bought - if in doubt, he would likely tell you there's a drain field, from my limited experience with him (1 day). ;)

With that said, when I first saw that listing hit the market ~ 1 year before you bought it, I thought he was heavily overselling the value of the house on it. But I gotta say the right buyer ended up with it. You're well on your way to making good on those flowery real estate ad predictions. Nice work!

And dang, I didn't even realize we had a Rural King in Maysville. I always just hit TSC or Lowes down there. I should get out more.

Thanks ng270.

2 more keifers and 2 more varieties of peach. I almost bought a couple of asians but I seem to be stuck on keifers.

The same now deceased drunk that last lived on the property who told my neighbor that a 40 yard pipe runs under the driveway from the toilet to the creek, also told me that there is a septic tank and field. I don't/didn't believe either you are most likely correct the sewage was going into the ground and drinking supply. I was lucky in that the electricity wasn't shut off for quite 2 years, if it were I would have needed a septic inspection prior to return of electric service.

So you recall it was an occupied, rustic, authentic log cabin and not the shithole that it was. I have made a living off of shitholes. They were asking $200,000 and I offered $150,000 and paid $160,000, $975/acre.

Rural King is about 200 yards west of TSC.

I got a slow start on my tulip logs yesterday.

DSC04085 (1200 x 800).jpg

The big 10 made another appearance, I should be able to entice him in this upcoming year.

IMG_0030 (1200 x 675).jpg

G

DSC04097 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04096 (1200 x 800).jpg

So I had 2 rain days, the first was spent pulling nails and sorting/moving wood. Yesterday I got into walls on top of walls.

DSC04098 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04102 (1200 x 800).jpg

For some unexplainable reason some genius sawed the floorboards through at the west wall.

DSC04103 (1200 x 800).jpg

and also down the side walls, essentially separating the floor from the rest of the structure.

DSC04109 (1200 x 800).jpg

They then forced out the bottom logs flaring out the wall and furring out a new wall back straight. The west end is where the old stone fireplace had been removed off the structure.

DSC04108 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04110 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04116 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04112 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Yesterday started off a rain day so I pulled the drywall nails and detailed what remained of the drywall on the ledger boards.

DSC04118 (1200 x 800).jpg

Then the ceiling boards came down carefully. If you've ever lived with rats then you know that rats are thieves and they like bling.

DSC04120 (1200 x 800).jpg

After dumping and sweeping each board I then took them outside to hose off the dirt and some of the rat. I will have to power wash each board later. The show side rinsed off well.

DSC04122 (1200 x 800).jpg

I just got a peek at the logs but all looks well.

DSC04127 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04128 (1200 x 800).jpg

I didn't get hitched. I found the bling stash that included a wedding ring and some glass jewelry. The ring must have belonged to one of the midgets that used to live in the cabin. 4 grams of 14k at $1863+ a troy ounce - a 15% commission = 6 potted persimmons.

DSC04131 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Back