Spraying Questions 2-4d on larger weeds

KDdid

Well, here's my quandary: I frost seeded about 18 acres of switchgrass this February, but due to wet weather, I was unable to get the LC recommended gly/atrazine combo but down before the switch started to emerge in late April early May, so following advice that I got from several sources, I,decided to hold off until the switch got a little bigger, and hit it with 2-4d this summer. Throw in more wet weather, and now I have some weeds hitting the 4-foot mark. How effective will the 2-4d be on bigger, more robust weeds? It's mostly giant ragweed, mares tail and common ragweed. Should I consider mowing it first, considering that I'm currently without a tractor of my own, and will have to hire it done?

Well, here's my quandary: I frost seeded about 18 acres of switchgrass this February, but due to wet weather, I was unable to get the LC recommended gly/atrazine combo but down before the switch started to emerge in late April early May, so following advice that I got from several sources, I,decided to hold off until the switch got a little bigger, and hit it with 2-4d this summer. Throw in more wet weather, and now I have some weeds hitting the 4-foot mark. How effective will the 2-4d be on bigger, more robust weeds? It's mostly giant ragweed, mares tail and common ragweed. Should I consider mowing it first, considering that I'm currently without a tractor of my own, and will have to hire it done?

I think it will do fine on even the bigger weeds. You might try mixing it a little stronger just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would spray - I would fear mowing if your weeds are that tall and essentially smothering your switchgrass. Like was stated you may need a hotter mix for the more mature weeds.

I was in a panel meeting yesterday with 5 of the State's top biologists. I brought up fighting invasives and one of the comments was K-State had originally recommended something like a 1% solution for spraying sericea lespedeza. Now they are recommending a lower percentage because the mix was too hot and burning down the plant before it got to the roots. Looked great at first but wasn't killing it. The weaker solution was better in the long run. Just saying...

I was in a panel meeting yesterday with 5 of the State's top biologists. I brought up fighting invasives and one of the comments was K-State had originally recommended something like a 1% solution for spraying sericea lespedeza. Now they are recommending a lower percentage because the mix was too hot and burning down the plant before it got to the roots. Looked great at first but wasn't killing it. The weaker solution was better in the long run. Just saying...

Interesting- I'm torn, though, because I can afford to do this once, and once only.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I don't think you have a ghosts chance in h*$$. My experience and intuition made me want to say you need to get those kinds of weeds when they are small - no more than 8 inches. I didn't specifically research switch and weed control. I did find an article about giant ragweed in corn. The theme is the same. Multiple applications of different kinds of herbicides (2,4d plus dicamba, for example). At this stage in the season, I think my primary concern would be keeping the weeds from seeding. Given your limit of one chance, I don't know what to tell you.
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/bp/gwc-12.pdf

Ideally, I'd like to find someone in the neighborhood who still has a rope wick wiping applicator for a tractor. It would be easy to select for height right now, as my switch is only up 6-8".

In this area mowing on July 15 catches the weeds just right to reduce their seeding cycles. We are mostly zone 4 b so your peak date could be now I'd guess.

Back