Spray, Plant and Roll on old QDMA forum

horntagger

Trying something new this year because in the Old QDMA forum some guys where I believe Spraying then Broadcasting, then rolling their food plots not sure if that person on here but would like to see the photos again.

Don't have a crimp roller but came a across a throw away. The Roller is 900 lbs which will be fixed in a few days.

Will be spraying food plots on Monday.

Welcome to the board horntagger...I remember your land tour thread from the qdma forum. Several have posted of doing what you are trying to get info on with success. If I had a roller that is what I would do with my rye grain when it dies but I have to just brush hog it...

I'm interested in rolling cover crops as well, but not the way you are considering. What you've described is essentially throw n mow...spray, broadcast, cover seed with thatch. In your situation I don't see a huge benefit of rolling over spraying other than it might be easier to get a uniform thatch cover distribution.

The roller movement is typically:

1) plant into living cover crop (usually rye)
2) roller crimp
3) spray

There is lots of discussion on rolling cover crops on the newagtalk.com forums (they call it "planting green").

I'm glad you are here Horntagger. I've missed your threads and posts. There is a great group of hunter/managers here but we sure can use more;Hope you become an active poster.

Trying something new this year because in the Old QDMA forum some guys where I believe Spraying then Broadcasting, then rolling their food plots not sure if that person on here but would like to see the photos again.

Don't have a crimp roller but came a across a throw away. The Roller is 900 lbs which will be fixed in a few days.

Will be spraying food plots on Monday.
Welcome to the forum! The organic nospray ag guys have rollers on the front of their corn planters with knives instead of a roller drum that cuts the rye into segments, and they tell me that kills the rye and it won't get green again. I see this type of system of planting into cover crop as the wave of the future.

Thanks, all- Poor Food plotters like my self don't have the equipment and I got the roller for free. It's all fixed up this weekend with 600 lbs of sand and is on trailer today. Sprayed a week ago be interesting to see what all I missed. LOL. Have a bush hog but no tractor, my friend does it for me but he now in middle of planting corn so I don't bother him. If this works out I can do it all with my ATV. Thanks again. Glad I can read some of the other post

What are you planning on planting? I have done similar to what you are describing. With little seeds like clover and brassicas it works just fine. I have also had good luck with wheat and rye. Corn, soybeans or sunflowers are a waste of time unless you can get them in the soil IMO.

I'm curious; if rolling with "blades" kills the plants won't mowing do the same thing? I see little difference between cutting the stem 4 inches above ground with a mower and crimping it. What am I missing here?

I'm curious; if rolling with "blades" kills the plants won't mowing do the same thing? I see little difference between cutting the stem 4 inches above ground with a mower and crimping it. What am I missing here?

Depends on what you are rolling and time of year.

Rye seems pretty easy to kill, fescue you'd just be wasting fuel. When I typically mow my rye off for fall planting it is close to dead anyway.

My own mix - Tyrone Forage Soybeans, Grain Sorghum, Sunflowers and Clemson Spineless Okra, planting tomorrow before Thunderstorm hits tomorrow night

I like mowing. You get some weeds mowing that you don't get rolling. Plus the spotty punch-through of the matted rye bugs me. After seeing what CNC did with his mower, I was hooked.

I like mowing. You get some weeds mowing that you don't get rolling. Plus the spotty punch-through of the matted rye bugs me. After seeing what CNC did with his mower, I was hooked.
I mow too... but I don't have a crimper.
I would like to move away from gly if I could. I just don't think crimping is going to terminate the stuff I need to control (Johnson grass, fescue, cheat, ect).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rye is easiest to no-till drill/ plant into if it's green or totally dried down and brown. In the inbetween stage the stems get tough as they try to dry down.

Back