Social Distancing 2

I remember the first time I did some turkey hunting in WV. I walked into a gas station to get a pop and there were two guys there that must have just come out of a coal mine. They were black with soot head to toe. I don’t know why it shocked me but it did. Coming from other parts of the Country I always knew coal mining was dirty work but that just took me back a bit. Some hardy souls down there. Don’t mean to imply that’s all there is there of course.

Yea it’s something to see only whites of a mans eyes. Those guys love the work and some go back generations In their family of miners into the 1800s. I wouldn’t go underground, not in my blood. But a HS diploma can get you earning 6 figures easily and a degree , much more. Plus some of the best health and retirement benefits. But dangerous work beneath or above ground.
The Powder River open pit mine in WY is beyond belief. 100 ft thick seams. Most western coal ships to Orleans ports and eastern coal to Norfolk. Most high steel coal markets are of all places ,China. The coal and the Red Oak markets are depressed as China/Trump tariff wars are ongoing.
Mining is a very small segment of our economy in this state anymore but the hard working , family and community loving mentality exhibited for decades by those miners still runs a strong undercurrent in our culture. Like most so-called working classacriss the country , they are truly the driving force of the country. Just don’t tell Washington as they think they own that privilege.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather finally cleared enough to clean the ride. Pretty much open everything next wk w distancing requirements. Headed to cruise Main Street this evening after some Mexican feeding. I’m sure there will be couple hundred rides there. Most will distance for the most part. Time to start enjoying living again. Have fun and play smart everyone.
60f7247c960d2f53709e3b534ab76481.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back