Small No Till Clover Test Plot

Native Hunter

I wanted a small food plot in a place this year that is at a bad spot for getting a tractor and disk into - not impossible, but just not lots of room.

It was around the end of July, and I was bursting to get plotting - even though I knew I needed to wait at least 2 more weeks to do my regular plots. So, I did a test - thinking that if this failed I could come back later and redo it.

I will let you judge the results from the picture below. Facts are:

• Planted common Ladino Clover mixed with an improved variety of Red Clover. (They had no wheat at the feed store at that time, but 10 days ago I threw some wheat in with it. Wheat is beginning to germinate a little now.
  • Sprayed with gly - scattered seed - mowed with lawn mower - used my pickup truck to pack.
  • Average fertility ground, so no fertilize or lime.
  • Got enough occasional small rains for germination and enough to keep the clover alive.
  • Let me know what you think....I think this is going to fill in nicely in time.

If I was an ungulate, I would partake heartily! And probably get myself shot! :)

If that was a "test" plot, I would say you have passed with flying colors. Is it 100% perfect? Nope, but that won't keep wildlife from benefiting from your efforts, plus you didn't have to go to a great deal of trouble establishing this plot. Is it situated in such a way as to allow for hunting deer going to and from, or is this more of a warm-season nutritional source?

Jason

If I was an ungulate, I would partake heartily! And probably get myself shot! :)

If that was a "test" plot, I would say you have passed with flying colors. Is it 100% perfect? Nope, but that won't keep wildlife from benefiting from your efforts, plus you didn't have to go to a great deal of trouble establishing this plot. Is it situated in such a way as to allow for hunting deer going to and from, or is this more of a warm-season nutritional source?

Jason

Thanks everyone.

Jason, it's definitely situated to see deer going to, from, and in it. It's surrounded by 3 sides by heavy cover and the other side is visible from my hunting vantage point - overlooking a native grass field between me and the plot. This is beside a trail I mow during the summer, so when it needs mowing I can hit it with the DR as I go by. The DR mows a little lower than we would normally want to mow clover, but I have found that I can pick my times (based on season and weather) and do a pretty good job with it for clover in tight spots like this.

All my other "traditional" new plots were put in about 12 days ago and doing very well so far. I will get some pics of those and post later.

Thanks - Steve

Looks good! What I've noticed with my throw and mow/roll I always think it is going to be a bust but it takes longer for the plots to get going but in the end they have ll turned out good. I think it will be a good looking plot.

Looks good! What I've noticed with my throw and mow/roll I always think it is going to be a bust but it takes longer for the plots to get going but in the end they have ll turned out good. I think it will be a good looking plot.

Thanks, and good point on taking longer to get started.

The rain has been limited so far, and I think when we finally get a good one that it will take off even better. The wheat I threw in a few days ago will make it look fuller in a short time too.

A friend and I did some throw and mow plots a couple weekends ago I am hoping will take off. These are first year plots so was just hoping to get a good kill on them and some seed on the ground to control weeds some for next years plots. I would say that the oats we spread with our seed mixtures will probably come up so we should have something green in the plots once they establish. Next spring I plan to work all of this new ground and get bean plots established, I will then over seed with a brassica/turnip/radish mixture for some winter food. We did get lucky enough to get a couple inches of rain on these plots right after seeding.

This was the first time I have ever used a throw and mow technique. Every plot I have done in the past had been hit with disc and with tiller before seeding. I am a rookie food plotter although I have been putting out plots for 20+ years.

Looks great. I've found with these kinds of plots that the difficulty usually isn't in getting them established, its in maintenance. It sounds like you are able to get a mower to it so you should be golden- I use a weedwacker on one that's an acre and it kills me three times a year. I've done a handful of clover plots this way, and tried my first small alfalfa plot without tillage (50' x 50') last weekend.

Well guys 8 more days and one more rain has made a lot of difference. Just thought you might want to see an update. The rain helped but the ground is still dry. You can kick the ground and get a dust bowl.

Figured it would only be a short time before the knowledge transferred from native vegetation to plot vegetation.

I have know you for quite some time now. Always been impressed with your ability to time native plant disturbance to release preferred forbs etc. Then on the other hand a bit surprised that a disc was always needed to establish a plot. Quite the oxymoron don't you think? I suspect the reason for that disparity has to do mostly with 'mental comfort of age old practices' which lends to 'anticipated risk and fear' when doing something entirely new.

How to promote clover? Short duration high impact of current vegetation to promote clover emergence then long recovery period to allow clover establishment. Your choice of short duration high impact disturbance (SDHID) was herbicide, mower, truck.....my SDHID is the cow herd then drill or broadcast....same results....aka a plant community shift!

Success is sweet.....the more important question is......Will the disc be parked now that you have proven the technology was transferred in your mindset from native to plot management?

+

Steve, Your results are very impressive. I started doing something similar last year based upon all the posts by CNC. He definitely started a revolution in my mind. Good results with far less effort, what is not to like, plus it builds up your soil. Thanks for the post. Lew

Figured it would only be a short time before the knowledge transferred from native vegetation to plot vegetation.

I have know you for quite some time now. Always been impressed with your ability to time native plant disturbance to release preferred forbs etc. Then on the other hand a bit surprised that a disc was always needed to establish a plot. Quite the oxymoron don't you think? I suspect the reason for that disparity has to do mostly with 'mental comfort of age old practices' which lends to 'anticipated risk and fear' when doing something entirely new.

How to promote clover? Short duration high impact of current vegetation to promote clover emergence then long recovery period to allow clover establishment. Your choice of short duration high impact disturbance (SDHID) was herbicide, mower, truck.....my SDHID is the cow herd then drill or broadcast....same results....aka a plant community shift!

Success is sweet.....the more important question is......Will the disc be parked now that you have proven the technology was transferred in your mindset from native to plot management?

+

Doug, I can't say that the disk will always be parked.

I think in each future situation I will look at a multiplicity of factors and decide what I think is the best for the situation at hand. Some of those considerations will be: species being planted, time of the year, rain forecast, attributes of the ground being planted, existing vegetation, speed of success necessary, and other things that might run through my mind at the time.

Actually I have more options than just a disk. I have plows and a very nice tiller. I've not used that tiller for a long time but it is stored in the barn and not losing any value should I ever decide to use it (or sell it). The absolute best plot I have ever put in was using it. I could have done no till on that one too, but due to the specific circumstances, I got what I wanted quickly, and that was important due to getting started late. What I lost was of less value (to me) than what I got. The ground I started with was such a beautiful stand of pure Orchard Grass, I actually hated to kill it. No till would have worked here too, but what I did got me a great plot much more quickly.

One thing I like about this small no till plot is the moisture retention. The plots put in 15 days later using a disk are looking good too, but obviously lose moisture (and some other soil goodies) at a faster rate. It has been very dry since that time, and examining the soil in both plots on the same day is something I am doing.

I can certainly see more no till plots in my future, but as stated above - in every situation, I will stop and take all those factors into consideration. Heck, I don't want it to become too easy, because then dad wouldn't volunteer to come and disk. I could lose a great day of fellowship.........

One thing I will say for sure - a man needs a better cultipacker than a small pickup truck.:D:D That goes for whatever method he uses for planting. I am keeping an eye out for one.

Last edited:
Steve, Your results are very impressive. I started doing something similar last year based upon all the posts by CNC. He definitely started a revolution in my mind. Good results with far less effort, what is not to like, plus it builds up your soil. Thanks for the post. Lew

Yes, CNC has helped a lot of folks with this and his results are impressive.

Thanks and good luck Lew.

Looks good bud. Some of my favorite plots are smaller clover plots. I have one ( very small ) white clover plot that I haven't touched in years. The deer keep it mowed for me.

Looks good bud. Some of my favorite plots are smaller clover plots. I have one ( very small ) white clover plot that I haven't touched in years. The deer keep it mowed for me.

Thanks Kansas. I started the mini plotting thing last year and like it. I see deer use all of them and it might keep them moving around a little more.

I have a camera on this one and saw some browsing in it already. But for the moment, the main plot with lots of red clover and chicory is still getting the most use. Probably a good thing so it will give this one time to grow a little more.

Nice looking plot. With my limited experience planting clover. I always considered clover to be next year's crop. Meaning it starts out slow getting started the 1st year then the 2nd spring it grows really well.
In Feb this I frost seeded my big summer cattle pasture with red clover and I got a full cover crop by May when I turned the cattle in on it. It's till holding it's own even with cattle grazing it.

I have a clover question.
I want to put in a new clover plot in a over grown pasture, it's tough to get a tractor to it and get around on it. I was thinking of doing a fall broadcast on the existing grass, do a frost seeding next Feb or so, then spray grass killer on it say in May. Think this will work out?

Nice looking plot. With my limited experience planting clover. I always considered clover to be next year's crop. Meaning it starts out slow getting started the 1st year then the 2nd spring it grows really well.
In Feb this I frost seeded my big summer cattle pasture with red clover and I got a full cover crop by May when I turned the cattle in on it. It's till holding it's own even with cattle grazing it.

I have a clover question.
I want to put in a new clover plot in a over grown pasture, it's tough to get a tractor to it and get around on it. I was thinking of doing a fall broadcast on the existing grass, do a frost seeding next Feb or so, then spray grass killer on it say in May. Think this will work out?

MK, I think you are correct that clover in general will always be established better in the second year. It sounds like your red clover that you established in the spring did very well and for it to be holding well with the cattle still grazing it shows that fact.

I think the answer to your question depends on the type of grasses that you have growing on the land. I'm assuming cool season (something like fescue, Orchard Grass, etc.). If so, I think your plan will work well. It might even work well if there aren't too many warm season grasses, but some warm season grasses can be pretty prolific in holding their ground.

Everyone knows about Johnson Grass, and that one is obvious, but there are some wild native warm season grasses (example = deer tongue grass, etc.) that are extremely tough and would give the clover a lot of competition. Your grass killer in May is probably going to be too early and ineffective for those. And, the presence of many broadleaf species that will burst forth when space is opened up from grass being terminated can also be a concern.

I once saw a 6 acre field be completely taken over by passion flower when fescue was sprayed and killed. Even a top biologist in our state couldn't believe it until he came out and looked. He then said he had never seen anything like it. A guy from a seed company wanted the seed and he sent 5 people who worked 2 days picking up pods. They loaded a 20 foot horse trailer and flattened the leaf springs on 2 full sized pickups with those pods and left many in the field. So, the unexpected can happen.

For any situation like this, I think the first thing a guy needs is to know the land and what species may come forth and give him less than desirable results. Then a plan needs to be laid to overcome the obstacles and get the desired results.

I can tell you this, which I recently mentioned in another thread - medium red clover does very well competing with most cool season grasses, and it can compete well right through the fall until it quits growing.

Good luck...........

Last edited:
Back