Silky Pole Saw

It takes more work, but if you want to make a nice, clean pruning cut with a pole (or any saw, really), cut the branch about 4-6" beyond the desired length, then cut the stub. No bark tears or jagged edges, just a nice clean cut. I realize it may not be worth the extra work trimming shooting lanes in the woods, but for work around the house, it will look much nicer and be better for your trees. Glad the suggestion helped! :)

QUOTE="Jeff23, post: 16471, member: 146"]It takes more work, but if you want to make a nice, clean pruning cut with a pole (or any saw, really), cut the branch about 4-6" beyond the desired length, then cut the stub. No bark tears or jagged edges, just a nice clean cut. I realize it may not be worth the extra work trimming shooting lanes in the woods, but for work around the house, it will look much nicer and be better for your trees. Glad the suggestion helped! :)[/QUOTE]

I normally do this, but at 21', I'd have to do some more serious weight lifting to hold the full weight of the saw at that angle and cut! Honestly though it's been doing great and I haven't had a tear "yet". Getting pretty clean cuts right at the branch bark collar. Cut two 5-6" branches, which of course widens even more at the cut, at the full 21' plus my 6' height. Worked great!

Well... It worked great until this happened...
image.jpeg

Bummer. Glad things were going well until that happened. Under warranty?

Hope so only had it a week! Maybe a dozen or so cuts. Already contacted Silky by email, or I bought from Cabela's and they do amazingly well about returns, that's why I paid a little more to buy it there. Hoping to post a good response soon! All I need is one new section. And try harder not to repeat!

Just an update, I got no response to email from Silky, so I called. No help except I could buy a new section for $78. That isn't horrible, I suppose I can try harder to be careful, but I really feel it broke way too easily. Basically the added strength for cutting by being oval means it can bend and break very easily on the flat side.

Cabela's on the other hand was exemplary as always! New one on the way no problem. I sure hope Bass Pro buyout doesn't change that, I do often pay a little more, or more likely to try something I'm not sure about because of their return policy and customer service.

Just curious how did you break it, did a limb fall on it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes. I got all the way from 25'+ up down to with 3"-4" from the ground and laid on the flat side. So technically, my fault. Happened way too easily IMO, but I will try to be much more cautious.

Back