Shirt tail tradition

Jeff H

When I was a youngster anyone that missed a deer (we only rifle hunted back then) lost their shirt tail. For those not familiar we would actually cut off the shirt tail with a knife. I always thought that this was just something done long ago but I just asked some other older guys in the office and none of them have ever heard of this tradition.
Hunting shirts were typically flannel shirts back in the day so there was no hacking up $40 Under Armour attire going on. I lost a couple shirt tails and remember being more upset at the level of embarrassment than the loss of the shirt. I'm not sure the same would hold true today.
Has anyone ever heard of this before ? Any of this still going on ?

Has anyone ever heard of this before ? Any of this still going on ?

Heck yes it is still going on. We did it growing up in WV. I made it back there last year and missed a doe and a coyote and insisted my wife cut my scentlok shirt. LOL.

And, Rick Grubbs, who we hunt with for our anniversary every year, does it at Waccamaw Hunting Services. He's got a wall at the lodge just covered with shirt tails. Unfortunately, my wife and I are both "on" that wall of shame. ROFL.

Everybody has missed deer. Few admit it and fewer yet are ever forced to submit to shirt cutting. LOL.

We always did it when I was young (and presumably long before that). We still try to. But as you say, people with fancy hunting clothes aren't so eager to let you chop it up. But there's a t-shirt under those clothes somewhere, and we'll cut whatever we can get our hands on :)
The ones from long ago eventually dried up and turned to dust. But we have a new hanger on the wall for them. Usually write the name and date on it, and what they missed! It's fun to make them relive the embarrassment every few years...."hey remember when you missed that big boy!"

Back