Sharpening chainsaw chains

I took my chains to a local hardware Stihl dealer and my chains came back much worse than when I sent them in....so I will not be doing that anymore. Rusty, thanks for posting that. I may order that thing and see how it works. That Timberline tool looks slick as well. Thanks J-Bird for starting this.

Following along. I tried hand tools and wasn't very good at it so i have just been buying new chains but will all the tree work i have been doing i need to either find someone that cheap and good to sharpen them for me or learn to use a sharper cause buying chains is going to add up.

Dremmel makes sharpening stones and a guide to keep things on the correct angle. I used that for years until I bought a chain sharpener from Harbor Freight. It's kinda cheaply made but it really does a nice job sharpening my chains. I can't remember what I paid, but it's from Harbor Freight so it could not have been much.

I've got a dumb question for you. Do you have to take the chain off the bar to sharpen it with that harbor freight setup?

I've been looking at that for years. I use a file until it's dull, then take it in. But that's a pain in the neck and wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a dumb question for you. Do you have to take the chain off the bar to sharpen it with that harbor freight setup?

I've been looking at that for years. I use a file until it's dull, then take it in. But that's a pain in the neck and wallet.

Yes you do need to take the chain off the bar to sharpen.

I use the Harbor Freight setup as well. I got mine on sale for $24.99. It's not a high quality piece, but as much as I use it roughly 6 times a year, it works well.

Not a dumb question at all and yes you do have to take the chain off, but not so with the dremmel. The Harbor freight sharpener is much more exacting than the dremmel.

Dremmel makes sharpening stones and a guide to keep things on the correct angle. I used that for years until I bought a chain sharpener from Harbor Freight. It's kinda cheaply made but it really does a nice job sharpening my chains. I can't remember what I paid, but it's from Harbor Freight so it could not have been much.
X2

Back