Shady area - small food plots

Brow_Tine

What is a good food plot crop for shady areas?
I planted 15 pounds of white clover this year and it did pretty good but wanted to know what other types of seed people have had good luck with.

Thanks
Brow_Tine

Clover is good. You could add chicory and oats. Go to the feed store and get a 100 lb bag of oats and broadcast right in the clover. Just made sure you have at least 50% sunlight. Brassicas will also do well in shady areas

What are your goals?
Are you looking for a perennial or an annual?
I made a micro-micro experimental planting of Winfred turnip in the deep shade of a blue spruce. The growth was substantial. Very impressive until the deer started eating it. I'll never know just how good it could have been because I didn't cage it, but what did grow was very good.

What are your goals?
Are you looking for a perennial or an annual?
I made a micro-micro experimental planting of Winfred turnip in the deep shade of a blue spruce. The growth was substantial. Very impressive until the deer started eating it. I'll never know just how good it could have been because I didn't cage it, but what did grow was very good.

That's a good question Tap
My gut says to start with an anuual just to see how it does but at this point im not really sure. The areas that I can plant in are open holes in fairly dense woods. When I planted the clover this year I could definitely tell which areas go the most sun so that was something I learned. Next season il leave an exclusion area with some chicken wire so I can see how the growth does

Well fed white clover will dominate in a shady area. I can grow clover in full shade that damn near matches the clover I have in full sun. Gotta be well fed though. I have some where I only put down lime and it didn't do near as well.

Back