Selective herbicide use in summer months

Hello,

I am having some broadleaf weed regrowth in a 2nd year clover plot, there may also be some rye grass regrowth too along with Johnson grass. In spring I sprayed with clethodium and butyrac (I have a yellow nutsedge problem too, but that's a different topic).

I a good grass kill and fair butyrac kill but the butyrac spotted my clover up pretty good and didn't get all the broadleafs.

I am considering a 2-4db application (not for the sedge) and depending on the grass regrowth may apply cleth.

My question is- when should I apply considering the clover are still spotted from June application, and considering the July heat and dryness?

I am currently trying to control with a weedeater to avoid stressing the clover but it's a loosing battle on .5 acre plot.

Thanks for the help

2,4-DB and Butyrac are the same thing. They both always spot up my clover too but it's never too bad and it goes away eventually. I would not respray right away. If you have good moisture i would consider mowing the entire plot.

I just sprayed a 3/4 acre, 2-year old Durana clover plot with Butyrac/24dB last weekend and I was wondering how long it takes to judge its effectiveness. How fast does this stuff work?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I just sprayed a 3/4 acre, 2-year old Durana clover plot with Butyrac/24dB last weekend and I was wondering how long it takes to judge its effectiveness. How fast does this stuff work?

I'm skeptical of it's usefulness this time of year. For 2,4-db to be effective, weeds need to be less than three or four inches tall and actively growing. Typically, when we get to July weeds are nearing maturity and the growth rate has stalled. My vision of your situation may be all wrong. The other thing is, this herbicide doesn't work on a broad spectrum of weeds. Even at the right time, getting the dose and adjuvant correct can be problematic.

I'm skeptical of it's usefulness this time of year. For 2,4-db to be effective, weeds need to be less than three or four inches tall and actively growing. Typically, when we get to July weeds are nearing maturity and the growth rate has stalled. My vision of your situation may be all wrong. The other thing is, this herbicide doesn't work on a broad spectrum of weeds. Even at the right time, getting the dose and adjuvant correct can be problematic.

You may be right, I'll provide an update this weekend. I realize the exact way each of these herbicides attacks the plant is slightly different but Gly is still very effective this time of year in our climate so I'm hoping the Butyrac can save me a mowing before these broadleaves go to seed. Getting the 6' rotary mower into this plot is a nightmare!

With regular 2-4d you can usually see things starting to wilt in a couple hours, but depending on your weather full kill can take awhile, right now were having trouble with some weeds wilting but not wanting to completely die because of lack of moisture to make them grow.

2-4d is a growth stimulant, it makes the plant grow faster than the roots can support it and it dies

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Summer time weeds I typically mow first to set the plant back - give it a week or two and then spray if I'm going that route. Typically this late in the year my intent is simply trying to keep the weed form producing seed. For established perennial clover plots you can also apply a weak dose of gly to them to kill grass and broadleaf weeds. This too will set the clover back, but it will bounce back with proper rain and cooler weather. Like was stated weeds now are fairly mature and focusing on growing seed and not growing in a vegetative manner which grossly limits the effectiveness of many herbicides. Something else I do in the summer if I'm spraying plots is do so in the evening once the sun goes down....this will reduce the chance of you burning your plot plants with the chemical application. With grass I also like to add a little MAS as the N in it seems to help encourage the grass to soak up the chemical better as well.

Back