Scion

ok im going to try a couple of grafts first time for me
1 - i know to cut the scions in FEB
2 - now wrap in damp paper and put in a Ziploc bag and put in frig.
3 - now how long in frig. i mean how many weeks
i live in south east NC though i would graft end of march or first of apr.not sure when any and all help would be good THANKS bill t.

I don't wrap in a paper towel. I but my scions in late February and seal any cut ends with candle wax. I put in a ziploc bag with one spritz of water from a water bottle. I want just a tiny bit of moisture on the scion. Are you grafting onto rootstock that you have ordered or are you grafting to trees already planted? If trees already planted then you can graft as soon as they start to come out of dormancy.

I don't wrap in a paper towel. I but my scions in late February and seal any cut ends with candle wax. I put in a ziploc bag with one spritz of water from a water bottle. I want just a tiny bit of moisture on the scion. Are you grafting onto rootstock that you have ordered or are you grafting to trees already planted? If trees already planted then you can graft as soon as they start to come out of dormancy.
sorry should have said on trees ok as soon as they start to bud

I have about 20 pears and 5 apple seedlings I am over wintering in pots. As soon as they start popping out leaves I will be grafting them. That is usually around the end of March.

sorry should have said on trees ok as soon as they start to bud
You want that sap coming up. That scion only has so much stored energy so you want a good "heal" before that scion uses all of its stored energy. So when leaves are popping out on the mother tree you will be good.

Back