Rye into beans

The rye I planted into standing peas is coming up nicely. Yesterday I planted oats and wheat plus crimson clover into corn stubble. Soil temps are cooler than expected so hope I wasn’t too late!

69068c55f6a486a3731d3f4777cfb202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

It has been quite a few years since I planted rye. Will rye have produced appreciably more growth by mid-april than wheat? I know it grows taller than wheat at maturity. I would just be concerned about having that much more vegetation on my plot that I had to get rid of to replant beans.

It does produce more vegetation than wheat which is one reason I use rye. I want as thick of thatch as I can get to drill beans/ peas to.

It does produce more vegetation than wheat which is one reason I use rye. I want as thick of thatch as I can get to drill beans/ peas to.

I can see that if you are drilling. But, if you are relying on conventional tillage with a disk to prepare a decent seedbed, then I can see the rye being problematic. That is my one greatest problem in food plotting - dealing with existing vegetation.

Do you spray gly on your rye before drilling, or drill into the green rye and let it go ahead and mature?

I planted 10 acres of rye and crimson clover this fall, and it will all be terminated in early March. I will then no till plant corn directly into the dead rye 2 weeks later.

If I was using conventional tillage/drill, I would NOT want to deal with the rye residue. It used to wrap around my disk and drive me crazy. If I couldn’t no till I would burn off the residue before disking OR try throw n mow.

I planted 10 acres of rye and crimson clover this fall, and it will all be terminated in early March. I will then no till plant corn directly into the dead rye 2 weeks later.

If I was using conventional tillage/drill, I would NOT want to deal with the rye residue. It used to wrap around my disk and drive me crazy. If I couldn’t no till I would burn off the residue before disking OR try throw n mow.
I would be a little hesitant to try throw and mow on $100 per bag eagleseed beans. I can probably burn the field off prior to planting in the spring. We are almost always under a burn ban at planting time in the fall

I use wheat now simply because it will survive my winters and doesn't become the hassle come spring that rye will by the time I get around to planting my summer annuals of corn and beans. I have spent too much time cutting rye out of disc and tiller with a knife to want to do that again. I just broadcast the seed into the standing beans and let the rain do the rest. So far seems to work fine.

I use wheat now simply because it will survive my winters and doesn't become the hassle come spring that rye will by the time I get around to planting my summer annuals of corn and beans. I have spent too much time cutting rye out of disc and tiller with a knife to want to do that again. I just broadcast the seed into the standing beans and let the rain do the rest. So far seems to work fine.

Nothing keeping someone from terminating the rye earlier via spraying and still be able to plant. The thatch will not be as thick and if done before the rye begins to stem, the leaves disappear pretty quick. There are always work arounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing keeping someone from terminating the rye earlier via spraying and still be able to plant. The thatch will not be as thick and if done before the rye begins to stem, the leaves disappear pretty quick. There are always work arounds.

Yes - that is my plan. I am going to spray it mid March - weather permitting. Hopefully the deer will actually start eating it before then and it wont be knee high.

I agree - I just try to avoid additional steps if I can. Nothing wrong with using rye......I just did a side-by-side with rye and wheat once and I saw no difference from the deer use, but did notice the considerable height different between the two come spring. Many ways to skin a cat as they say......

Back