Roundup, them disc-how long?

That's my mistake. I was under the impression that was the proper rate for 50 gallons. I don't guess it can hurt anything, other than just a waste of gly (money)

Won't hurt a thing. Just kill 'em twice as dead. LOL. I use one quart per 25 gal and it seems to be just the right amount.

I use 1.5 gallons per 60 gallons of water (2 qts/acre) for burn down. 1 gallon per 50 gallons is a 2% solution...that's pretty darn near perfect.

Oh boy! I'm confused and I didn't realize it. When I think about glyphosate and mixing I'm working in percentages. What percentage of the finished spray material should be active ingredient. There are so many different concentrate percentages in play today isn't it the only way to be comparing apples-to-apples? Let's not get into pounds of acid equivalent today.

This is a simple conversation with a lot of assumptions about coverage and gallons of water-per-acre and a lot of other things I can't begin to think about.

A 1% (active ingredient) glyphosate mix is good for small annuals. A 2% solution starts to get hard on perennials and 3% is probably all you need. If the gly concentrate is 41%, to arrive at a 1% finished spray solution you would mix 3.12 oz of gly as you pour it out of the jug. If you just divide what you pour out of the jug (3.12) by the ounces in a gallon (128) you might arrive at the conclusion you have a 2.4% solution, but, in my book it ain't so.

By my calculation a gallon of gly in 50 gallons is less than a 1% solution - and not 2%. If you disagree, then how can you reconcile that fact I'm using a concentrate that's 58% gly and you are using 41%?

I mean I get that we know what works, but how to communicate that is of some concern. And then there's the issue of water. Today, the standard is 5 - 10 gallons per acres - with the same amount of gly. It seems concentration (%) of the finished product is more important than drenching coverage.

To the original question I don't know if the mix is just right, too light, or too hot. I didn't see what area we are covering?

Help me out?

Yes, I always use it with clethodium, it's recommended right on the label. Some clethodium labels say AMS not recommended for clover because it may make it to potent and burn the clover, however, I'm using it on clover all the time and have never had a problem. It makes the clethodium more effective on some of those hard to kill weed species. I'd use crop oil as well.
P.S. Remember to always put the AMS in the water first.
Thanks for the response, yes I added it before I added they gly but that is the only time I have used it so far. I will start adding it to both now. Again thanks for the info.

I have found spraying on nice warm sunny days is the fastest kill with gly.

And it'll look dead as soon as you get a decent rain about a week or so later.

The problem with spraying during dark or clouds is humidity/ moisture. The added moisture can a) create an adhesion problem for the gly getting good coverage over the plant (which makes an ams/ crop oil all the more important) and b) (especially for night sprays) the dew can act as a cutting agent which lowers the effective active ingredient % by x amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Oh boy! I'm confused and I didn't realize it. When I think about glyphosate and mixing I'm working in percentages. What percentage of the finished spray material should be active ingredient. There are so many different concentrate percentages in play today isn't it the only way to be comparing apples-to-apples? Let's not get into pounds of acid equivalent today.

This is a simple conversation with a lot of assumptions about coverage and gallons of water-per-acre and a lot of other things I can't begin to think about.

A 1% (active ingredient) glyphosate mix is good for small annuals. A 2% solution starts to get hard on perennials and 3% is probably all you need. If the gly concentrate is 41%, to arrive at a 1% finished spray solution you would mix 3.12 oz of gly as you pour it out of the jug. If you just divide what you pour out of the jug (3.12) by the ounces in a gallon (128) you might arrive at the conclusion you have a 2.4% solution, but, in my book it ain't so.

By my calculation a gallon of gly in 50 gallons is less than a 1% solution - and not 2%. If you disagree, then how can you reconcile that fact I'm using a concentrate that's 58% gly and you are using 41%?

I mean I get that we know what works, but how to communicate that is of some concern. And then there's the issue of water. Today, the standard is 5 - 10 gallons per acres - with the same amount of gly. It seems concentration (%) of the finished product is more important than drenching coverage.

To the original question I don't know if the mix is just right, too light, or too hot. I didn't see what area we are covering?

Help me out?

I hear you. When I used to calculate percentage solution, I went off of the % of active ingredient as well. I've used everything from named brand RoundUp PowerMax 2 to generic Tractor Supply Glyphosate to Makaze Glyphosate. Eventually I started doing what the local farmers do: just create a 2% solution based on the volume of concentrate to gallons of water added. So 1.5 gallons of generic RoundUp to 60 gallons of water is a 2.5% solution.

The real answer to this issue is the same as it's always been: calibrate your sprayer and mix the appropriate volume of product to the required amount of water needed to cover the acreage you are trying to spray. My label says anywhere from 1-3 quarts per acre depending on weed species and size.

And I agree that tillage does the same work as glyphosate (with a few exception of some grasses that will just spread by chopping them up), if you have the HP and equipment to do the job right. If you lack either, then a burn down makes tillage with smaller equipment, a lot easier, but give it a few weeks, when everything is brown on top.

I am a math guy but I don't have time or energy to run the calculations. I use 1 qt of 41% glyphosate to 25 gallons of water and it kills everything (except white clover, nutgrass and sicklepod--first is good, second I don't have thankfully, and the last sucks) so that's all I need to know.

The amount of gly you put in the tank depends on how many gallons of water your sprayer is putting out per acre....percentages are really not the right way to look at it.....
I've never done it by percentages, waaaayyy too much math for this farm boy lol. But if that's how they're comfortable doing it that's fine but you're right they need to take in account the amount of water put on.

That's why I always figure it by oz per gallon or oz per acre if you know the size. Again a quart to the acre or 3oz/gal and 10gal/acre of water is enough to kill most any non Rup resistant weeds.

We in the ag industry are finding out that the amount of carrier is just as important as the herbicide rate, sometimes more important. Especially with a contact herbicide like Rup. The more GPA of carrier the better the kill everytime. 10 gal is the minimum I'm comfortable with, now guys in non ag areas could probably get away with less because the plants in general haven't been exposed to Rup. It's about getting good coverage, I heard of a guy using 30gal/acre in an extreme circumstance

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back