Roasted Mallard

Keithw247

This is one of my all time favorite meals. My grandfather always cooked his ducks and wild turkeys using this method. Not sure if my "recipe" is the same as his but the general principal is to cook it low and slow in a heavy pot with a tight lid. I use my deep cast iron skillet.

Here is the most critical part of this recipe. Get your kids to pick the ducks (preferably outside) because this is the whole duck...no shortcuts like just pulling the breast out!

SDuMpOgl.jpg

Once the kids have picked the duck, remove the head, feet and wings (at the joint). Then you singe the hairs off with a Bernzomatic torch (or lighter if that's all you got). Remove the innards and rinse the duck real good, inside and out.

Pat the ducks dry then put them in the fridge uncovered for a little while to make sure they are good and dry. This recipe takes a few hours and you can let it sit for a while before eating so make sure you give yourself enough time to cook it.

Pull your ducks out the fridge and rub a little vegetable oil on them. Sprinkle 'em real good with salt, pepper and garlic powder inside the cavity and out. Cut up some apples and onions and stick 'em inside the cavity. Now put your ducks in the pot. At this point your are going to cut up some carrots and celery and drop in around the ducks. Next pour about a 1/2 inch of red wine and another 1/2 inch of water into the pot.

Put the lid on the pot and put it in the oven at about 250 - 275 for approximately 3-4 hours. When you pull the pot out and take the lid off, the ducks should look like this:

y1djO1dl.jpg

Take your ducks out the pot and debone them. The meat will fall off just like a chicken done in the crockpot. Put the meat in a serving dish and pour some of the "liquor" from the pot on top of the meat. Fix a pot of rice and serve with or over the rice. It's simple and delicious!

Back