RM 18 Set ups

Mark1427

You guys that use RM 18 trays with your acorns, what type of stands or tables are you using.
I'm Thinking about building a screen type closet on wire racks and screen for top and sides. This will be set up outside.

Thanks for your answers/pictures.

Depends on how big you want them. I do all my growing outside so mine were 8’ long. I cut a 16’ cattle panel in half lengthwise and ended up with two 8’ x 4’ pieces which I then built a 4’ tall wooden frame around to get them up high enough to where I don’t have to bend over. I then lined the top of the table with standard chicken wire to help support the trays better.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Someone was replacing an 8 foot privacy fence down from my office. I grab a couple of pieces from the gate and scabbed them together to form a table roughly 6'x8'. I used 2x6s for the legs with 2x4s bracing the legs. I have 19 trays on there now and need to put 5 more trays on it to max out the table. I might add one more leg to the center of the table because there is a slight bow in the center. The table isn't pretty but it works.

That's the route I was thinking about Matt. Nice set up.
Does it bother the growth being that close together?

Not that I could tell. I’ve since moved on to other methods of growing Chestnuts. Not that the rootmakers didn’t work but I’m not convinced they are the right way to go in areas where it gets very hot during the summer. That tap root on the Chestnut seedling is there for a reason to go as deep as it can as quickly as it can and seek out water. When you use rootmakers you loose all but 3-4” of it.

Matt

I’ll also throw this out there. In my experience. Rootmaker grown trees allow the seedling to grow a massive amount of roots (minus the taproot) and produce a lot of top growth very early. A chestnut tree which has been direct seeded allowing the tap root to grow and seek out water, while initial growth is slow as the trees spends most of its energy growing root mass and seeking water will eventually catch up with the top growth of the Rootmaker grown tree within. 3-4 years. So what are you really gaining? Yes that initial growth is awesome and that tree will probably have a heck of a dense root but if a non Rootmaker grown tree can catch up with the one who’s had all its roots pruned before it’s even thought about setting a nut why go through all the expense and trouble? To do the Rootmaker system right you have to transplant them into bigger Rootmaker containers about half way through the growing season. Which means more expense and time upsizing, keeping them watered, etc. During hot weather the Rootmaker pots will need to be watered every other day at a minimum. A direct seeded tree can go several days without needing a drink.

I’m in a unique position. I live about three miles from where I hunt so going over once a week to water trees isn’t that big of a deal. Those that live far away may feel that growing in pots is the way to go for them so they can keep them watered. It’s all about trade offs as to which method you prefer. Sorry for tbt long winded post.

Back