Recreating a Deer Woods

Chummer, The blue birds are a pretty rare sighting for us here. And now a little more about the property and one of this years planned projects follows.
DSC_9820ab.jpg

The tree above has hundreds of pounds of apples. The deer come to this tree as one of their first stops. It is a special tree but just another wild apple. Many apple trees can be special for deer hunters that have otherwise no commercial value because we of course have different needs than orchard people.

The property currently has about 35 acres of tillable land rented to a farmer, 12 acres setup as food plots, I acre houses our two 42 x 64 barns and there is a 1 acre daylily garden which houses just over 1,000 varieties of registered daylilies and thousands of unregistered daylily seedlings each of which is different from any other. A four acre piece is cleared and in the process of being fenced off for a second daylily garden near the barns. There is a one acre planted apple orchard fenced in with trees around ten years old and all producing very well. The balance of the six hundred and five acres is mostly wooded with the counted 2,000 plus released wild apple trees located in various areas throughout the woods and in hedgerows. A guesstimated 500 or more are yet to be released are also in the woods section. One of the major strong points on the property is the huge amount of apples and I am going to talk about them yet again. They are hands down a major draw in this neighborhood. Bear with me this will be a bit slow at first as it covers parts of what took me a few years to fully get it.

DSC_8955ab.jpg

That is a picture of our daylily garden in peak bloom. The summer mornings go by quickly as I am in the daylily garden hybridizing daylilies every morning. That means I’m making crosses to produce seeds that will make better daylilies. What is a better daylily?

That is the million dollar question just as what is the better apple tree? The answer will be somewhat different for each of us. To me very loosely defined for now the better apple tree grows the biggest, produces the most browse and apples regularly, is winter hardy, disease resistant, and lives a long time. The taste of each apple is important as well but the tree is the most important. The deer here will eat all apples dropped; yes some apples will be eaten earlier in the fall than others but eventually they all get eaten. Diversity in tree and apple characteristics are a good thing though and something I want to encourage and maintain on this property.

With the daylily, I look for the same things-winter hardy, disease resistant, big plants strong branching with lots of blooms. The quality of the bloom like the apple is important but secondary to me. With the daylily as the apple a super plant cannot be multiplied in its EXACT form thru seeds. Both must be propagated vegetatively to produce a duplicate plant/tree. That does not mean though that we cannot make super plants/trees by planting seeds. We can’t consistently do it randomly though; we must stack the deck in our favor.

DSC_0946ab.jpg

By crossing daylilies with great hardy plants proven to perform in my garden, that have great branching, and tons of blooms with each other, GUESS what. I got more of the same from the resultant seeds.

Hybridizing is very simple and does not have to be rocket science. Surely the more knowledge we have about the scientific whys of genes, chromosomes, what are diploids, tetraploids etc. and dominant/not dominant or recessive traits, Mendelian genetics and on and on the better off we are --maybe. Crossing great plants/trees to others that have both like characteristics and the characteristics we desire for future plants/trees will give us a higher percentage of better plants/trees than just random or natural crossing. Keeping good records of the outcomes of various crosses is paramount to success.

As with apples not all daylilies will successfully cross with one another; with wild trees there is no way of knowing without special tests except plain old trying it. Daylilies can be crossed to themselves; it brings out the more unusual recessive traits. Some apples can also be crossed with themselves as well. Again with wild trees we can determine what trees are cross compatible with each other simply by trying it and keeping perfect records of every cross accelerates our learning curves and significantly improves our results.

Okay so how would one cross apple trees? You simply take the pollen from your chosen great tree and cross it with another great chosen tree. Mark the flower, pick the resultant apple and collect and plant the seeds. The shortcoming I have with this procedure is I am a daylily hybridizer and not an apple hybridizer. So I will show how daylilies are pollinated and the same procedure can be applied to an apple. And yes I will be doing this to selected apple trees this spring.

So here is the same daylily picture again.
DSC_0946ab.jpg
Look close at the bloom. You will see it has three red petals and three red sepals(smaller petals). Coming from its center the bloom also has six yellow/orange anthers and one white tipped pistol perched higher than the yellow anthers. The yellow/orange anthers are heavy with pollen. To cross the daylily one takes an anther from the selected daylily and touches it onto the end of the pistil of the other selected daylily. The pistil has a slightly sticky end and holds the pollen. You have now made a cross. Most will produce eight to twenty-four seeds and a very few are not fertile and will not produce seeds. Some are easy seed producers, some are not so prolific(one of the reasons for record keeping-to weed out or stop crossing with the not so prolific pollen sources/crosses). Additionally there are some restrictions in what pollen can be used on what trees/plants. I intend to identify those restrictions by simple trial and error.

This is all well and fine as it relates to crossing apple trees if the two apple trees you want to cross are in bloom simultaneously. If not though the cross can still be made. The procedure is simply to gather the pollen and place it in a plastic capsule and refrigerate it until needed. Daylily pollen can be kept for a week of so that way. If you want to keep it longer it can simply be frozen and can be good a long time even a year or more later. I'm hoping apple pollen has that same attribute.

So though we cannot produce clones of our favorite apple trees via seeds we can create apple trees from seeds with the characteristics we want. Note-I have not done this yet but I firmly believe it is a slam dunk for our situation and am looking forward to crossing apple trees this spring. By crossing the best trees on the property to each other over a few apple tree generations it will produce a pile of unique apple trees with genes already proven to perform above the norm in this environment and in this soil(best for now= similar strong points and absence of weak points). When I reached the point with the daylilies realizing that proven home grown worked out way better than buying plants from away that were touted as the "latest and the greatest" and most expensive, my hybridizing results really took shape quickly. Some of the plants from away probably were the "latest and the greatest" in their environment but many didn’t cut mustard here.

Realistically I am calling this a two generational project. It’s possible I will see the new apples of this property in my lifetime but the real peak would be during my son’s tenure here. And if I had grand children it could really advance to an unheard of level. So that’s one of my plans for this property and the next step of this project will be defining criteria for choosing which apple trees are worthy of acting as my stable of breeders as well as the scope of the project. Of the 1,000 plus purchased registered daylilies only a very few met my “stable” criteria. The rest fell short in some manner. Daylilies here only take around four years from cross to a full plant so some faults could be tolerated or reduced after multiple generations of crosses; the apple of course will take many years from cross to peak producing trees. Thus ideally only as perfect trees and from this area will be used as breeding stock for this project.

This project may not be the highest priority for this property nor the most productive use of time. I simply want to do it. And by providing not only the most apples in the area but the most, best from the perspective of my target audience-the deer in this area, it will be a another step in recreating the best deer woods around. And I must not forget the importance of DIVERSIFIED. A woods full of the same apple tree everywhere is not at all my goal here.
This project will be ongoing and chronicled here as it goes along and things are learned.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the discussion of cross breeding the Daylilies, and pictures are beautiful.
I missed, however, how the seeds are harvested and saved

Tom, I very much am looking forward to your visit. Keep in mind though that we don't have a fully completed Shrangri-La deer property yet; it has a long way to go.

Lak, the seeds are harvested by hand as they become ripe. Since a bloom only lasts one day, the bloom shrivels up on day one after making the cross. On day two the seed pod can be seen starting to form. This is really a frog picture but it is all I have of a seed pod in very early development. You can see the seed pod to the left and it is either day 2 or day 3 at the latest here. I don't know how long it will take to see if an apple cross is successful or not but I suspect it is fairly quick like a couple of days after the bloom dries up.
DSC_9604ab.jpg
And next are seed pods at about day 35.
DSC_4351c.jpg
It generally takes 45 to 60 days for the seed pods to turn brown,dry and begin to open. At full size they are 3/4 to 1-1/2 inches across. I like to pick the pods the day before they open. The seeds are then taken out and placed on a paper plate to dry for a few days. Most seeds will be hard which is a good thing, others will be squishy and they are discarded.
For the very late bloomers frost comes before the seed pods ripen; in that case the scapes holding pods are cut off just above ground level and placed in a pail with water and brought inside. The pods will then ripen in the pails. Warning-water can get a bit stinky if not changed fairly often.

Once dried and squishies discarded the seeds are placed in a marked envelope and will either be stored in a tackle box in the unheated barn for the fall and winter with plans to plant in the spring or they are planted directly in the ground in the late, very late fall. Most people put them in the refrigerator for a month and then plant them indoors to get them started. With planting between 10,000 and 60,000 seeds a year they all get planted outside directly in the ground. It would be tooooo time consuming and take up too much space planting them indoors.

With the apple seeds I'm thinking of trying both direct seeding and starting some indoors as well. It only takes seconds to remove the daylily seeds from the dried seed pods; I'm afraid with the apples it will take quite a bit of time collecting the seeds.

Note the garden is double E-fenced. Deer like daylily leaves, blooms and daylily seed pods as well.

Last edited:
I've never seen a tree that loaded with apples I don't think. I've had mine at breaking point, but yours wins. And really like the daylilly description of your flower sex. Sounds a little kinky. ;) Cool stuff.

Thanks dogghr, I am very lucky; it's pretty normal to have many trees filled like that. Its just the soil and generations of trees molded to match this environment. Often branches will break but it's OK. The broken branches often stay alive for a year or two and act as a hinge cut providing browse. It also releases the apple tree from itself on one side and the rest of the tree benefits. My garden activities do make for some interesting bar talk as do my passion for saving apple trees. People do think me a bit "off" here but its not the first time. I'm pretty excited though that the experience of the daylily hybridizing years can be applied to some apple tree hybridizing aimed at creating better deer apple trees.

Other than creating lots of browse to help the deer thru Jan, Feb, and March, we also plant turnips. This year with our first drought warnings ever our turnips were planted late. We got a crop but a small one and it is about fully consumed already. Our renting farmer however planted thirty-five acres of rye, triticale and barley early enough that it grew a ft. tall before the snow came.. It has been a pleasant windfall for us that the deer are taking to that right now. WE thought with the recent snowfall which put most of the fields at belly deep that the deer would go into laying up but no they didn't. They are instead feeding on the hill top knolls where the wind has blown the snow sufficiently so it is only a ft. or two deep there. The snow is still powder so the deer can get there and dig thru it.
DSC_9634l.jpg
It quickly became too dark for additional pictures this evening (Feb. 6, 2017) but within minutes after taking this one many more deer had appeared on this scene making that knoll "standing Room only"!. For the deer to be out and feeding so late into winter as now is a huge deal for this property. Usually they are hunkered down and living off of their body mass by this late date.

Last edited:
Those apples are really interesting that is very uncommon in my region most apples I see are from where old houses use to be. Have you ate any of those apples?

Those apples are really interesting that is very uncommon in my region most apples I see are from where old houses use to be. Have you ate any of those apples?

Yes I eat them all the time while hunting;some are delicious but with a bite while some are more potato like and not very tasty. This is definitely more than apples at old homesteads where every family had their own small fruit and nut orchard. It was a cider "economy" at one time.

Last edited:
Very nice that's what I've seen searching for is a disease resistant bitter cider apple. Your property must be a site to see when the bloom in the spring with that many apples

Very nice that's what I've seen searching for is a disease resistant bitter cider apple. Your property must be a site to see when the bloom in the spring with that many apples

Thanks DLH, yes the apple blossoms in bloom are an awesome sight to see. However though there are so many released apple trees on the property the average density is only 3.3 apple trees per acre. With many of the trees in the woods and the way they themselves block others from view most views are limited in the number of trees that can be seen at one time. The pictures to follow are of course from previous years blooms on the property.
DSC_8261b.jpg
Above is a hedgerow tree that has been completely released. It has a thousand blooms or maybe a million-I have no idea; imagine the amount of seeds it can make. In the earlier years I released hedgerow trees first because they rebounded so much faster than the woods trees;now I work on the woods trees first because if I don't more of them will be history.
DSC_8267ab.jpg
Above is the beginning of Apple lane;it is 1,000 feet long with plenty of curves and has apple trees on both sides for it's entire length. The apple trees are from 3 to 6 trees deep in some sections on both sides. Apple lane is an internal tractor lane that we added gravel to this summer to transport logs out of the property with the logging trucks.

DSC_8340ab.jpg
Above is our driveway just before we put a food plot among the apples on the left side. It is backed up with a heavily released woods area that is filled with apples and now heavy brush. It is likely the most active 1/4 mile stretch on the property. Sometimes it is almost like driving thru a stockyard with animals literally moving on both sides of our vehicle barely getting out of the way. We do everything we can to keep the deer accustomed to our travel thru yet calm and feeling safe there. Two days ago I cut some poplar trees and cedar trees here to release yet more apples and bring some browse down to deer level. The deer moved right in yesterday evening to enjoy the new fresh tops.
DSC_8348ab.jpg
This is a view of our barns from the edge of the major food plot on the property. The barn on the right which we live in has had a leanto sun room added onto it since this picture. The poled in area is a four acre garden area to be in progress. Once we get the fencing done it will also be used as a nursery for starting and observing new apple trees grown from seeds of our top trees.

DSC_8351ad.jpg
This is a field edge and as you can see trees that get ample sun an edge affords really take off. This edge runs parallel to and about forty yards from Apple Lane. This shows one of those variables that make it hard to determine which trees have the more desirable genetic makeup because the trees in full sun growing along a limed and fertilized AG field are naturally likely to more reach their potential in growth and production than the ones in the woods growing along a bog with only partial sun.

DSC_8374b.jpg
And this is the opposite end of the property where the soil has better drainage but is more sandy like rather than clay like. While this section shines some years and always has some apples, surprisingly it is the western 2/3 of the property with poorer drainage that really produces the most apples.

DLH, I really have little to no idea which trees have the taste that produce the best cider apples. For years Dad and I had discussed which apple trees were the best whether it be early droppers, late droppers, extreme hanger ons, ones the deer came to and ate right away, ones they left on the ground and ate after all others were gone, red ones, yellow,green. spotted, speckled or striped, little ones, big ones, and sizes in between; Now I have finally come to the conclusion that they are all good just as Dad had said. Each type of trees have their day that the deer need them and enjoy them regardless of their multitude of various attributes even though they prefer some over others.

This summer though all of the trees besides being ranked for the various criteria that makes a tree in the top percentages the various flavors and apple textures will also be documented for the top trees.

Last edited:
Getting back to releasing apple trees and dropping trees for the deer. When possible for us in the hard winter areas it is perfect timing to drop trees in February throughout the property to bring extra browse to the deer. When it can be done in conjunction with releasing apple trees it is a HOME RUN. February is usually pretty tough walking so apple trees needing releasing that are near roads or the barns are "saved" for releasing for February. It is such a waste to drop the trees in the summer as compared to February and even March for this northern property. Will it make a difference to the deer?

If these three deer bedded just behind a tree cut two days ago that they had fed on since early dawn today could talk, I'd bet they would say it makes a difference This picture was taken at 9:30 am today, Feb. 10 2017.
DSC_9750c.jpg
And a cropped version of the above scene is below;
DSC_9750ad.jpg

There will likely be deer at the other trees dropped two days ago as well but I don't want to chance disturbing any more deer of course.

Last edited:
On and off all day today deer visited this cut poplar tree. In all somewhere around twenty different deer have come and stopped at this tree. Here is the latest group that are out there at this very minute.

DSC_9856a.jpg

There was also a group of what looked like 5 bucks (all antlers were shed) that stopped by. The bucks were very cautious so I didn't take a chance on scaring them with the camera. It looked like Model was in that bunch. Its hard to tell for sure without the antlers but he had a certain swagger to his walk. Will drop some more trees tomorrow; these are going quickly.

Dave, those bloom pictures are breathtaking.

What type of poplar trees are you dropping? We have lots of tulip poplar here.

Those apple pictures are awesome. I can't believe how little snow you have. Your deer are going to be in great shape come spring.

Amazing the amount of wild apple trees you have...breathtaking when in bloom!

Hard for us to have fruit from Apple trees around here as we have several "false" Springs and our buds freeze off most every year...it will be 84 degrees here today.

Dave, those bloom pictures are breathtaking.

What type of poplar trees are you dropping? We have lots of tulip poplar here.

Thanks Steve, glad you enjoyed the pictures, it was retrieving the apple bloom pictures that got me motivated on releasing more trees while dropping some non-apple deer feed trees for the deer. I should have started two weeks earlier but was really shut out on different days by the wind, snow, rains and cold. We do have some tulip poplar here as well. The predominant poplar on this property though is Quaking Aspen and that is the poplar being cut at this time. There are many stands of the aspen throughout the property. Quaking Aspen is viewed as an important winter food on this property that I feel needs to be made deer available each year yet sparingly. I drop them sparingly both so that the colonies produce enough trees to go on indefinitely helping to feed the deer every winter and to not have the deer fill themselves up with just one food source.

Also the deer take well to eating red cedar trees at this time of year so I save those for February/March dropping as well. It is possible that some of these deer are visitors from "Chummerland" and if that is the case the need for winter food here is beyond what any property could produce without our intervention.

A friend of mine who lives guessing two to four miles away from this property at times has two to four hundred extra deer on his property visible this time of year. One morning a few years ago he had told me there were 100 deer in one field. I went there to check it out and in actuality between his two major fields and a couple of neighboring fields I counted over four hundred deer! There is no way that a property can fully support that amount of winter visitor browsing.

Last edited:
Those apple pictures are awesome. I can't believe how little snow you have. Your deer are going to be in great shape come spring.

Thank you Chummer; every spring the blooms return and just amaze us.The belly deep snow of only a few days ago was close to wiped out with one night of heavy rains, 41 degrees and 40 mph winds.

Amazing the amount of wild apple trees you have...breathtaking when in bloom!

Hard for us to have fruit from Apple trees around here as we have several "false" Springs and our buds freeze off most every year...it will be 84 degrees here today.

Okie, there have been years here where things wake up too early but for the most part luckily the cold doesn't give up easily here. It could be the cold from the lake or the snow that helps to calm down high temperatures that at times visit us before true spring. In the article in Northern Woodlands
http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/how-do-trees-know-when-to-wake-up

It states that trees do not wake up until they have received the proper number of chill hours regardless of temperature. It also states that in New Hampshire and Vermont a tree usually gets in enough chill hours by the end of January so warm weather after that could wake it up.

So based on that theoretically wouldn't a tree that is programmed for the correct number of chill hours to make it closer to true spring in your area stay dormant thru the false springs and expose its buds at the proper time of true spring? I am beyond my expertise with that question but lately I question more and more things that appear to be or even are fact. In other words could it be that the genes of the apples brought into your area don't have the correct chill hours programmed into their system?

Thank you Chummer; every spring the blooms return and just amaze us.The belly deep snow of only a few days ago was close to wiped out with one night of heavy rains, 41 degrees and 40 mph winds.
We lost 2' with that rain but I have a bad feeling the 3' left is rock hard and not going away for a couple months. This week is not looking good.

Don't fret buddy;many of your deer are here. I was in the sun room tonight at dusk and suddenly there was a rush of deer almost like a stampede. I counted almost thirty running full bore at me. Ten yards or less away they veered left and right and just missed running thru my wall of windows. They were so close I imagined the vibration from their bounds and felt the pressure they felt as they veered away at the last minute. For that thrilling encounter I vow to keep dropping trees until snow melt to help keep them alive so they can return to your property.

Back