Recreating a Deer Woods

Ever transplant wild apple tree seedlings?

Are they easy to spot? I haven't seen any near me.

When and how should they be transplanted? I only need a few.

Barring any diseases that apple tree should do well. It is great that you have taken before pictures to compare to later. Some respond the first year while others take two or three.

Ever transplant wild apple tree seedlings?

Are they easy to spot? I haven't seen any near me.

When and how should they be transplanted? I only need a few.

No I have not transplanted any that I can remember. They are fairly easy to spot by their leaves although I have only found them when searching for them and not by just noticing them on a casual walk. A quick search on Google brought up lots of fruit tree transplanting advice.

I realeased a tree a couple weeks ago. Not sure how I missed it all these years it was 10 yards off the edge of the field. It was loaded with blossoms but completely covered up by large cheries. I checked it today and it is loaded with apples but appears to be dropping some leaves. Have you ever seen a released tree do this? It was getting almost zero sun before the release.

I realeased a tree a couple weeks ago. Not sure how I missed it all these years it was 10 yards off the edge of the field. It was loaded with blossoms but completely covered up by large cheries. I checked it today and it is loaded with apples but appears to be dropping some leaves. Have you ever seen a released tree do this? It was getting almost zero sun before the release.
I'm glad you found another producing apple tree Chummer. We have had some very violent thunder storms with ridiculously heavy downpours preceded with high winds this past week;It would be surprising if that did it. Hopefully it is not the abnormally high water table flooding out the roots.

This is the best year ever for Cedar Apple Rust Spores. Rain day after day after day. This stuff loves the rain.
DSC_1547a.jpg DSC_1609a.jpg DSC_1620a.jpg DSC_1638a.jpg
Tonight,July 01 I checked the leaves of Fifty-four wild apple trees for presence of Cedar Apple Rust (CAR).Most of the 54 are within sight of this rust infested cedar grove of about twenty red cedar trees. Forty-eight wild apple trees had either no sign whatsoever of rust or just a single spot or two on most leaves. Most had plenty of apples mostly about the same size.

Six wild apple trees had leaves that were browned out and dying and had either a few tiny apples or none. The six trees will be paint marked and checked again next year. I presume an apple tree is either cedar apple rust resistant or it is are not. However checking them for a few years will verify that idea one way or another.

My test this past spring of hand pollinating apple blossoms was very difficult. The pollen was no where near as plentiful as the daylilies and of course by hand one could only pollinate a small amount of the reachable blossoms. Some did get pollinated as I wanted but it was extremely time consuming. As usual the best way to make better apple trees on this property is likely to work with nature rather than try to circumvent it. While natural selection is mostly working to produce non-CAR prone trees, spiking the deck would help it along. If the same trees show themselves to be prone to CAR year after year and they have no "got to have special characteristics" perhaps the CAR trees on this property should be cut down and maintained simply as low browse bushes until they die. That way they won't be participating in the annual spring ritual of passing genes prone to CAR.
The same thing of course goes for fire blighted trees;eliminating the very few really almost non-existent susceptible ones from the gene pool here may be a good move. It was the thread by Fish titled My Five Top Crabapples that led me to this thinking; rather than try to get rid of the disease or kill all of the red cedar trees, just eliminate those apple trees susceptible to the disease. So Simple! Since it appears from my sampling check that only 11 percent of the trees may be prone to CAR, it makes perfect sense to just eliminate them from the gene pool if they repeat this performance in yeqars of "good" CAR conditions.. Of course a sampling of 54 trees is small and I need to maybe check a few hundred for a more accurate sampling.

There would be no payoff in my lifetime but maybe in my sons' or the next owner after him. Just rambling. Thumb is healing and hopefully will be ready to run the chainsaw again soon. Can't wait to get productive again.

Last edited:
Dave, I'm glad to hear that the thumb is healing. Those are some serious looking CAR spore for sure.

I like your idea of promoting the apple trees with the best genes for disease resistance. All of your grafts still look great, and I have them braced well with cane poles.

This is the best year ever for Cedar Apple Rust Spores. Rain day after day after day. This stuff loves the rain.
View attachment 7887 View attachment 7888 View attachment 7889 View attachment 7890
Tonight,July 01 I checked the leaves of Fifty-four wild apple trees for presence of Cedar Apple Rust (CAR).Most of the 54 are within sight of this rust infested cedar grove of about twenty red cedar trees. Forty-eight wild apple trees had either no sign whatsoever of rust or just a single spot or two on most leaves. Most had plenty of apples mostly about the same size.

Six wild apple trees had leaves that were browned out and dying and had either a few tiny apples or none. The six trees will be paint marked and checked again next year. I presume an apple tree is either cedar apple rust resistant or it is are not. However checking them for a few years will verify that idea one way or another.

My test this past spring of hand pollinating apple blossoms was very difficult. The pollen was no where near as plentiful as the daylilies and of course by hand one could only pollinate a small amount of the reachable blossoms. Some did get pollinated as I wanted but it was extremely time consuming. As usual the best way to make better apple trees on this property is likely to work with nature rather than try to circumvent it. While natural selection is mostly working to produce non-CAR prone trees, spiking the deck would help it along. If the same trees show themselves to be prone to CAR year after year and they have no "got to have special characteristics" perhaps the CAR trees on this property should be cut down and maintained simply as low browse bushes until they die. That way they won't be participating in the annual spring ritual of passing genes prone to CAR.
The same thing of course goes for fire blighted trees;eliminating the very few really almost non-existent susceptible ones from the gene pool here may be a good move. It was the thread by Fish titled My Five Top Crabapples that led me to this thinking; rather than try to get rid of the disease or kill all of the red cedar trees, just eliminate those apple trees susceptible to the disease. So Simple! Since it appears from my sampling check that only 11 percent of the trees may be prone to CAR, it makes perfect sense to just eliminate them from the gene pool if they repeat this performance in yeqars of "good" CAR conditions.. Of course a sampling of 54 trees is small and I need to maybe check a few hundred for a more accurate sampling.

There would be no payoff in my lifetime but maybe in my sons' or the next owner after him. Just rambling. Thumb is healing and hopefully will be ready to run the chainsaw again soon. Can't wait to get productive again.
I missed the part about the thumb. What happened?

I missed the part about the thumb. What happened?
I was building some locker type cabinets to try to organize stuff for each of my various activities. I Had made five of them and needed the top board for the last three. I was cutting the tops out of 1/8 inch plywood like luan on the table saw. With 1/8 of an inch left to the last cut, the table saw blade grabbed the plywood and spun it. The wood tore across my thumb which it pushed against my belt buckle. It all happened as fast a a shot bullet.

And yes I had taken the safety stuff off of the saw twenty years ago when I bought it. It is back on now of course and will stay there no matter how much of a pain it is to use it with it on.

I tell my wife all the time not to stand in line with the table saw blade and here I went and done it myself. It was pure operator error. It either cut the thumb open or just burst it. The doctor thought it just bursted it. And it broke the thumb also with some bone fragments floating inside as well.. I went to the emergency room where they stitched it up but told me the outside looked a lot better than the inside. The next day I went to orthopedic center where they realigned the bones. A week later it was out of line again so they had to reset it. This time I really stopped using it as I was told to.

It is unbelievable that a simple thing like a broken thumb can be such a big deal and how it stopped me from doing so many of the activities I normally do. Couldn't even tie a swivel on my fishing line the other day; had to have a friend do it.

Last edited:
Wow Chain, I mustve missed that story. My Dad always says, if it has a motor sooner or later it will jump up and bite you. Of course sometimes we help it. Hope you get well soon.
Question on the Cedar rust. I've seen that before so am familiar, but why does it seem to affect only certain trees and seems to be only in certain area?. I have bunches of cedars at the farm but have never seen it there. What causes its selection?

Wow Chain, I mustve missed that story. My Dad always says, if it has a motor sooner or later it will jump up and bite you. Of course sometimes we help it. Hope you get well soon.
Question on the Cedar rust. I've seen that before so am familiar, but why does it seem to affect only certain trees and seems to be only in certain area?. I have bunches of cedars at the farm but have never seen it there. What causes its selection?

Thanks Dogghr. On the cedar rust some apple tree varieties are resistant while others are not. I do not know why that is. A certain area affected could be that many of the trees in a certain area come from the same parent family genes and they just happen to of the rust susceptible kind . Cornell has told me that the rust from a cedar tree reaches out to infect apple trees up to 4 1/2 miles away. Thus one can assume at least here that all apple trees on this property are bombarded with rust spores on wet years such as we are experiencing now.
So if the rust is predominant in one area of this property and not the other it is all about the genes of the apple trees and not the presence or lack of rust spores in the air.

What causes the rust on the cedar trees. And how are they selective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What causes the rust on the cedar trees. And how are they selective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogghr, I don't know what causes it first hand but according to this site

http://extension.illinois.edu/focus/index.cfm?problem=cedar-apple-rust

Here is a quote from that site which explains how the rust moves back and forth.
"From the telial horns on the juniper, basidiospores are released that infect crabapples and apples. Although these spores may be carried several miles, most infections occur within a several hundred feet from the source juniper. A wet spring period of 4-6 hours at 50-75 F is sufficient for severe infection. Symptoms are described above. Two to four weeks after the tiny dots (spermagonia) appear in the center of each spot, aecia appear on the undersides of leaf lesions. Most people only notice this stage after the aecia have split and take on a ragged appearance. Aeciospores, released from the aecia, become airborne and infect susceptible juniper hosts from midsummer into early fall."

I don't understand what makes one apple variety susceptible and not another. I am not really even sure if a susceptible variety is always susceptible or not.

Last edited:
I was building some locker type cabinets to try to organize stuff for each of my various activities. I Had made five of them and needed the top board for the last three. I was cutting the tops out of 1/8 inch plywood like luan on the table saw. With 1/8 of an inch left to the last cut, the table saw blade grabbed the plywood and spun it. The wood tore across my thumb which it pushed against my belt buckle. It all happened as fast a a shot bullet.

And yes I had taken the safety stuff off of the saw twenty years ago when I bought it. It is back on now of course and will stay there no matter how much of a pain it is to use it with it on.

I tell my wife all the time not to stand in line with the table saw blade and here I went and done it myself. It was pure operator error. It either cut the thumb open or just burst it. The doctor thought it just bursted it. And it broke the thumb also with some bone fragments floating inside as well.. I went to the emergency room where they stitched it up but told me the outside looked a lot better than the inside. The next day I went to orthopedic center where they realigned the bones. A week later it was out of line again so they had to reset it. This time I really stopped using it as I was told to.

It is unbelievable that a simple thing like a broken thumb can be such a big deal and how it stopped me from doing so many of the activities I normally do. Couldn't even tie a swivel on my fishing line the other day; had to have a friend do it.
That sounds painful! I hope it will be totally healed for you by the time hunting season rolls around. I do find as I get older that I'm more accident prone than I was when I was younger. I think this should be a consideration to all of us middle aged and older guys, our senses aren't quite as sharp anymore and the same perhaps somewhat risky things we could get away with at twenty turn around to bite us at fifty. And like Dogghr mentioned, the more powerful a piece of equipment, the greater the potential of it hurting someone.

I hear you yankees have been getting the rain like we have.
You've right on that LLC. The waterfront at our cottages is 31 inches higher this year than normal. The controllers of the Lake Ontario water level (international Joint Commission) are pointing to all of this excess rain we have been having which started in April as the cause of the record high lake levels. This May Lake Ontario reached it's highest recorded levels since 1903 when they started recording. It has been close to this high twice since I have been here (1987) but not quite this high.
A lady fisherman rental guest yesterday thought that a rock island out in front of our place would be an interesting spot to cast. As she casted her line to it and worked her way closer and closer she discovered it wasn't a rock island at all but rather our outside fireplace!

Last edited:
That sounds painful! I hope it will be totally healed for you by the time hunting season rolls around. I do find as I get older that I'm more accident prone than I was when I was younger. I think this should be a consideration to all of us middle aged and older guys, our senses aren't quite as sharp anymore and the same perhaps somewhat risky things we could get away with at twenty turn around to bite us at fifty. And like Dogghr mentioned, the more powerful a piece of equipment, the greater the potential of it hurting someone.
Thanks mennoniteman for your thoughts. Actually looking back removing that then pain in the neck safety junk off of the table saw was not just risky but actually stupid. I would never even run my chainsaw if the a part of the safety equipment on it like the chain brake were acting up let alone remove it. So What I was thinking removing the safety equipment on the Table Saw so many years ago--I just can't imagine.

Life has been easy for me getting hurt wise, with a broken collar bone as a kid and that was it. Was never accident prone and normally erred on being too safe. So getting hurt like this was a huge wake up call for me. I can't do stupid or risky things anymore and get away with it. I will still run dangerous equipment but not without fully understanding its dangers and recommended safety precautions and even just for short periods of time at once. Getting tired and working beyond tired day after day just isn't OK anymore. It's tough to swallow but that is how it is. It is not just that my reflexes have slowed with age but also my observation of a situation before the danger occurs has lessened as well.

And WOW--yes it really REALLY hurt. .

Last edited:
You've right on that LLC. The waterfront at our cottages is 31 inches higher this year than normal. The controllers of the Lake Ontario water level (international Joint Commission) are pointing to all of this excess rain we have been having which started in April as the cause of the record high lake levels. This May Lake Ontario reached it's highest recorded levels since 1903 when they started recording. It has been close to this high twice since I have been here (1987) but not quite this high.
A lady fisherman rental guest yesterday thought that a rock island out in front of our place would be an interesting spot to cast. As she casted her line to it and worked her way closer and closer she discovered it wasn't a rock island at all but rather our outside fireplace!

I heard about the Big O. Been keeping tabs on it. We will be back up there at Oak Orchard in August. Everybody keeps saying the high levels aren't affecting the salmon and steelhead bite. Hope they're right. Hard to imagine how much water 31 extra inches of water in that lake is. Wish there was some way to save it for future use! I hear once they start lowering it, the best they can do is an extra inch a week. To even be possible to control levels on such a big lake is hard to fathom.

Glad the thumb is getting better. That sounds much worse than you let on. That cedar rust makes me happy I don't have cedar trees. Talk about thing happening as fast as a bullet. We were having another typical monsoon so I decided to pull the truck in the garage to load up for camp Saturday. I had crocs on and when I stepped on the running board both feet went right out from under me. I landed on my back and my head hit the door jam. Saw stars for a few minutes and still have a slight headache. Luckily the bulk of my weight hit the floor before my head hit the truck. Other than a few other bruises I escaped what could have been much worse. As a decent athlete growing up it is depressing to see how Father Time has started to kick the crap out of me.
On a brighter note, apple trees have a very good crop this year. I have had cameras out for a week and it looks like there are two sets of twins and a single fawn around, also have a bachelor group of a spike and what looks like two much older bucks that look like they will have big racks for our area.

Glad the thumb is getting better. That sounds much worse than you let on. That cedar rust makes me happy I don't have cedar trees. Talk about thing happening as fast as a bullet. We were having another typical monsoon so I decided to pull the truck in the garage to load up for camp Saturday. I had crocs on and when I stepped on the running board both feet went right out from under me. I landed on my back and my head hit the door jam. Saw stars for a few minutes and still have a slight headache. Luckily the bulk of my weight hit the floor before my head hit the truck. Other than a few other bruises I escaped what could have been much worse. As a decent athlete growing up it is depressing to see how Father Time has started to kick the crap out of me.
On a brighter note, apple trees have a very good crop this year. I have had cameras out for a week and it looks like there are two sets of twins and a single fawn around, also have a bachelor group of a spike and what looks like two much older bucks that look like they will have big racks for our area.
Thanks Chummer, the thumb is getting better and in the scheme of things it was not that bad considering what could have happened. I hope to be running a chainsaw a little in a few more weeks and don't see the thumb impacting deer season. What was worse than I thought was how hard it is to accomplish anything when you use only one hand. It isn't that the left hand wouldn't work, its just that using it would not let the thumb heal and would even damage it more. After me undoing his first bone set, the doctor put an old fashioned cast on my wrist, hand and thumb. That cast really protected the thumb.

Glad you are OK; that kind of fall sounds like it could have been really bad. I've seen you walk in the woods. You have very good reflexes and balance. Maybe those Croc type shoes are for gardening or hanging out at the beach and not climbing into pickup trucks. Yes apples look good as a whole. it's great that you have two potential racked deer in your area already.It will make for an interesting season on the Hill.

LLc, noticed this on the IJC site today on how to subscribe to their weekly e-mail reports on Lake Ontario water levels.
For more information, please see the Board’s website (http://www.ijc.org/en_/islrbc) and Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/InternationalLakeOntarioStLawrenceRiverBoard). To receive a weekly email about water levels and flows in the Lake Ontario–St. Lawrence River system, please send a blank e-mail message to stlaw-L-subscribe@cciw.ca, with the word ’subscribe’ in the title and body of your message.

Back