Rattling

Slagiatt

Ive gotten no responses from rattling yet this year, and am switching to spot and stalk for a few days, because im getting discouraged. Will probably get back into heavy timber rattling soon. Anybody have any rattling success lately? What are your conditions? How much rut activity are you seeing? Whats your latitude?

I know that rattling here in Va, is a deer and a doe density thing. In areas with a lot of deer and a balanced or buck skewed population it has worked well in my experience. But with either low deer densities or lots of does, it is almost useless. In fact I would say it is less than useless because it lets everything in the woods know exactly where I am.

I actually avoid rattling unless my stand set-up is in such a way that it's difficult for bucks to get downwind of me. I've had more bucks over the years circle downwind to my rattling than bucks I've had walk in for a shot. Color him educated and gone.
I never blindly rattle, but every once in a great while, I may bang the rattle bag if I see a buck going away from me. In most cases, the buck either stops and looks then continues on, or he'll circle downwind. When that happens, the odds that I'll ever get a shot at that buck from that stand isn't very likely. And I'm meticulous at odor control, but a mature buck that is directly downwind and looking to catch a whiff of what he thinks are a couple of other bucks, usually doesn't turn out in my favor.

I actually avoid rattling unless my stand set-up is in such a way that it's difficult for bucks to get downwind of me. I've had more bucks over the years circle downwind to my rattling than bucks I've had walk in for a shot. Color him educated and gone.
I never blindly rattle, but every once in a great while, I may bang the rattle bag if I see a buck going away from me. In most cases, the buck either stops and looks then continues on, or he'll circle downwind. When that happens, the odds that I'll ever get a shot at that buck from that stand isn't very likely. And I'm meticulous at odor control, but a mature buck that is directly downwind and looking to catch a whiff of what he thinks are a couple of other bucks, usually doesn't turn out in my favor.
My thoughts exactly Tap. Being silent and not letting anything know you're there vs broadcasting to everything in the woods here I am, come check and see what's going on. Deer tend to come in anxious, and get nervous when they can't find anything (a lot like a gobbler not finding a hen when you're turkey hunting, the charade doesn't last long). Fooling a buck with his guard lowered is one thing, fooling one who is actively searching for you is a completely different animal.

Reactions: Tap
Excellent results rattling. Done it religiously for 25+ years after I was taught how. Used everything from antlers to rattling boxes to aluminum arrows against stand. Don't use rattling bags, they are too quite. Boxes or horns. Buck and doe are equally interested. But there are parameters to follow to have good success. Like any form of hunting, it is never a guarantee. If you want success each time, don't bother. If you are timid, don't bother. If you don't choose your spot and timing, don't bother. I'll list a couple things then describe one of my best rattling spots I've used for 15 years.

First, set up in pinch point. And multiple Edges, from type of flora, to topography. As Tap said, you don't want them able to easily get downwind to ck things out.
Best times are late pre rut up thru the chasing stage. Once they start findings hot does easily, hard to do.
Cold quite mornings, especially after couple days of lousy weather. I want them hear me a long ass ways. Like I said, no timid. 9:15 is my favorite time. I do it once and done. Evening not quite as good but 45 minutes before dark if I do.
You are peaking their curiosity, not really are they looking for a fight but to gain the spoils of the hot lady in waiting. Just like a bar fight and the lady walks off with some stranger.

Have you seen two matures go at it? Last year my two 10s went at it and one lost his whole left antler and the other had a gash in his leg that almost amputated it. Grunt a couple of times, usually I have already done a doe bleat several minutes before. Bring antlers or box together hard. I mean hard. Every animal in the woods will come to a stop. Then spend the next 3-4 minutes grinding, tickling, slamming. I especially like to grind them a lot as that is what they do when locked together. Then when I'm finished, I break with a loud clash. And grunt once or twice. I use two diff grunt calls.
If you want to tickle the antlers, or rattle for a minute, then don't bother. Waste of your time.

30 minutes. Hear me. 30 minutes. You can set your clock by it. They almost always come in after the sequence at that time. And no, not like the movies, they don't come rushing in to fight, but rather just strolling in to see what's up. And you better be ready, they aren't hanging around long. No binocs, no thinking. Aim and shoot. Make your decision and shoot at first clear shot. Usually are quite relaxed. Snooze and you loose. They didn't get old by being dumb. If there is no hot ass there, then they are moving to the next bar to find some.

My money maker spot.... sits in a saddle with ridge in front of me, steep ravine to my right, field behind/downwind with house 200 yds past that, on a conifer/hardwood/brush edge, between 2 major bedding areas. Place should be illegal as I have had great success. But like I said, if you want it work every time, you will be bummed, but I can tell you it is the most fun of anything I do hunting. But not for the timid.

Last edited:
I don't use it often at home because of the deer numbers. It will call in the young bucks, but rarely(never) have I seen a mature deer come to it here. We almost have more doe than you can shake a stick at and the bucks really don't have to fight for them, but do it because that is what bucks do. I have a set of antlers that were roughly 140ish before I cut the brow tines off. As dogghr mentioned, bucks are violent and to need to sound like that if it is pre-rut and chasing phase. I hit mine so hard together that they put off that burnt hair smell. I like the smell because I know I am hitting them together with the right force, but it also stinks.

I rattled last year in Ohio and had great success with bucks coming. Now, keep in mind, most were 2.5-3.5, but they came in hard. Had a 4.5 come n and stop at 50yds and look around, then skirt me(wind in my face and river behind me). He proceeded to go in the brush and stay in it because he didn't see anything where the sound came from. I saw 11 different bucks in one day, I saw one 2.5yo at least 10 times.

This year I rattled about once an hour or a little longer and only had one buck come in. It took him 15 minutes from the time I rattled until he was in my face. It was fast and I didn't get a shot off because it happened so fast and I didn't grab my bow until he was at about 8-10yds and headed towards the thick stuff. I had just scanned to my left(its thick), where he came from, and didn't see him and was looking to my right off in the distance to see if any deer were coming across the field.

I love to rattle. It can be THE most exciting way to deer hunt. Obviously the tighter the B/D ratio the better the results. Also obvious to rattle up mature bucks it helps to have a decent population of them around. With that, when conditions are right it is a blast.

The best time to rattle in mature bucks is just prior to the rut. Especially if you get a new cold snap. Bucks haven't locked in on does yet though they are becoming restless. The next best time is just after the big flush of the rut. Mature bucks can be on the prowl and its very effective. For the most part during the rut younger bucks are rattled in. They can jump in your lap if your not careful.

My favorite thing to do is move constantly. Pick spots where down wind visibility is good, hit the horns hard for 2-3 mins and buckle up. Sometimes it only takes a minute or less so be watchful. I rarely stay in the same spot more than 10-15 mins unless I have bucks on me. Also when a buck is rattled in not unusual for him to hang around for a few minutes. Watch him carefully as he will alert you to any other bucks that might be sneaking in or lurking a little further out. Once things settle down then move another 400-500 yds depending on wind speed and do it again. I like a nice steady breeze. I like crisp mornings with high overcast best.

It also works if you want to stay stationary . Rattle 2-3 mins every 15-20 mins or so. All this adds action to an otherwise motionless sport. Don't be afraid to make a bunch of noise. Buck fights are violent.

To have a 6 yr old + buck come charging in , hair standing on end , fire in his eyes, tail straight out adds a whole new dimension of fun to a great deer hunt.

I rattle for about a 10 day window in north MO. I do some serious blind grunting though in about a 30-40 day window with that rattling combined towards the front end. It works excellent for us. Grunting and rattling, or just grunting; I am trying to tell a story with my sequences.

Back