Rain, then dry... will it hurt brassicas?

Chipdasqrrl

I'm ready to plant brassicas, but I'm concerned about the weather. We're supposed to get a lot of rain tonight then it's supposed to be hot and dry for a while. My concern is that the brassicas will sprout and then be fried by the sun before the next rain. Will the brassica sprouts be fine without rain for 7-10 days?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

What planting method are you using? Bare dirt, may be a struggle. If your going throw and mow or the like where you will have some cover on the soil to help retain some moisture you have less to worry about in my opinion.

It's your crazy uncle FarmerDan again. To the question, it all depends...wait, don't wait?

I really think we make a mistake by waiting until a rain to think about planting seeds. I know it seems logical to do that, but here's the thing. If you plant seeds on your schedule, even if it's dry, there are potentially a number of good things happening while the seed waits for the right conditions to germinate. You might not think there's any moisture around your seeds as they sit in the soil. I think you'd be surprised. Little by little that seed is absorbing moisture in anticipation of the big flood it needs to ignite. Remember, a seed has to absorb 40% to 100% of its weight in water before it will start its magical transformation. If it's halfway there when the rain comes it'll shoot out of the ground and establish a solid root before another dry spell hits. If you wait to plant moments before a rain, the seed has to make up the time required for it to absorb enough moisture before it germinates. And if there's not enough time before the next hot, dry period it dies.
Now, I'm not advocating planting during a severe drought, nor in soils that cannot hold a little moisture. In the end, you have to decide, but waiting isn't always the best option.

Planting is always a risk. It's part of the game. Play it as best you can.
Grandpa used to say, "Plant in the dust, your bins will bust. Plant in the mud, your crops will be a dud!"

I'm ready to plant brassicas, but I'm concerned about the weather. We're supposed to get a lot of rain tonight then it's supposed to be hot and dry for a while. My concern is that the brassicas will sprout and then be fried by the sun before the next rain. Will the brassica sprouts be fine without rain for 7-10 days?

You're getting to be a real farmer! Farmers ponder those questions every day. What you are asking is does anyone of us know the future? I'm a staunch Christian but my connections aren't that good. Last year I planted brassicas in the exact conditions you described, the seed germinated, then it got dry and they died. Total crop failure and by the time it started raining it was to late in the fall to replant. But my oats bailed me out big time so I had feed and a hunting attractant all fall and winter. To answer your question, it's a guessing game, I'd plant half now, half in two - three weeks.

Thanks everyone, I'm not gonna get to planting today but I'll be able to tomorrow or Sunday. The weather man can't make up his mind anyway, now it says less rain tonight and more Sunday. I'm probably just overthinking the situation, I'm sure the brassicas will do just fine whether I plant now or not. And to answer J-bird's question, I'm planting bare dirt.

Perfect reason to have different type plots. As already said, you just never know but I do try to plant near rain. Brassica can weather dry spells very well but mine planted last year went 90+ days without a drop in that drought and it was a total failure . So have a backup plan, if they fail, overseed with WR, RC, and oats late Oct early Nov and you save your plot for winter and spring. Good luck.

Interesting post, I'm in exact same dilemma. Decided to see an acre of failed beans this morning, but will hold off on other brassica plots for now. 2 acres to go, so I'll hopefully have something good from one of the planting attempts.

The above picture illustrates why it makes sense to educate yourself on when and how and why to plant, and then have FAITH that you've done the right thing, at the right time, and for the right reasons. Does it always work out for the best? No, of course not, but if you put some thought and effort into just about anything, you'll usually come out ahead. :)

Last year, I planted 2 acres on a farm that I have permission to hunt in Sept. 1 acre of WW, Oats and AWP,1 acre into brassicas. We didn't get rain from the week before I planted until the second week of Dec. The brassica side failed, but the other side pulled through and feed the animal all winter long. It was waist high come spring and I had wheat, oat and pea seeds galore. I did a throw and mow into all of it this spring and the failed brassica has been nothing but trouble all year. The other side has done great, but it does have some weeds in it, BUT I have more than my share of milo and millet growing. I sprayed the "brassica" half today in preparation to plant next week.

Back