Question

Mitch

I received my 10 trees yesterday from Arbor Foundation. They are bare root saplings. I won't be able to get them in the ground not this weekend but probably next. Any suggestions so the roots don't dry out?

I also read about trimming the roots, I'm guessing to prevent root curl?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to trim the roots. If you have an extra fridge you can just keep them it. As long as the roots stay moist they will be fine till the following weekend.

Get an old five gallon bucket that is in rough shape. Drill holes in the sides at lease 1 inch up from bottom, 2 inches and 3 inches up. I would make those holes about 3/8 inch in diameter. Also, drill some holes in the bottom of the bucket.

Still the bareroot seedlings inside the bucket and put some potting soil on the seedlings. Water them enough that you see water come out the side and the bottom of the bucket. You don't want any standing water inside the bucket - you want damp potting soil without air pockets.

Take a black garbage bag like you use in a kitchen trash can and put the black bag over the seedlings to eliminate light from hitting the bare root.

Store this bucket in a cool location out of the wind. We avoid freezing temperatures. In a few days add more water to make sure they don't dry out.

Basically you have healed them in but they are in a five gallon bucket. Depending on the size of the seedlings and the root ball you might have to use two buckets. Look at them to assess if you think one bucket or two buckets.

This works for me. Better them to be too damp as opposed to two dry at this point.

Wayne

I received my 10 trees yesterday from Arbor Foundation. They are bare root saplings. I won't be able to get them in the ground not this weekend but probably next. Any suggestions so the roots don't dry out?

I also read about trimming the roots, I'm guessing to prevent root curl?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Arbor Day Foundation must be filled with experts! I have heard that they have been sending trees to a number of individuals who live in northern areas where the soil is now frozen solid! Reminds me of the commercial on tv now where the family takes a 7' tall conifer tree with a root ball the size of a basketball into the forest in the dead of winter to plant their Christmas tree as opposed to all the other nasty people of the world who cut their Christmas trees down! I am 99% sure there is Christmas tree is NOT going to look like the others by next Christmas! Because theirs will have been dead for 10 months already!

As the others have said keep them in a cool place and the roots damp you will be fine for a few days.

Last edited:
Arbor Day Foundation must be filled with experts! I have heard that they have been sending trees to a number of individuals who live in northern areas where the soil is now frozen solid! Reminds me of the commercial on tv now where the family takes a 7' tall conifer tree with a root ball the size of a basketball into the forest in the dead of winter to plant their Christmas tree as opposed to all the other nasty people of the world who cut their Christmas trees down! I am 99% sure there is Christmas tree is going to look like the others by next Christmas!

As the others have said keep them in a cool place and the roots damp you will be fine for a few days.

I saw that same commercial and complained about the same thing. Yuppies - I swear, they have no idea what they are talking about! I like the sentiment, but I want to see them dig a hole like that in ground that is frozen solid!!!! Then the little girl says "see you next year" - yep, like they are going to come back and then dig it back up and go thru this all over again.......I don't think so.....or dad is a hell of a lot more man than I am!

Cut that x-mass tree - use it and when your done, sink it in your pond or lake (private property only) for fish habitat! We used to get a real tree and when we tossed it out stuff a small piece of newspaper in it and light the paper - Woof! You instantly had a ball of fire and nothing but a 6 foot pine pole left!!!!

As for the OP - keep the trees in a cool/cold (not freezing) but dry place. Wrap the roots in paper towels and then newspaper and then simply keep the papers damp. Not dripping wet, damp, but soaked thru. This will keep the roots from drying out and keep the trees dormant as well. I have found a cool basement or even a fridge is great for this. I treat them the same way as if I'm storing acorns over winter.

Back