Question my dad asked the eye doctor

Native Hunter

Here is the scene at the eye doctor's office:

My father (82 next month) has just received injections (with needles) in both eyeballs - treatment for AMD.

In one eye they hit a blood vessel with the needle and have spent the last few minutes trying to get the blood stopped. They finally do, and she tells him that the eye will be bloodshot for a few days but no problem from this and all will be well with it.

They finally get finished and I'm ready to drive him home. She asks if he has any questions. He is setting there with both eyes closed and says, "Will it be okay for me to be shooting my rifles?" She looks a little stunned at the question but tells him no problem - it won't hurt anything....

I say you can't keep a good man down................

Last edited:
I believe I would have to be tied down enough to hold a mobile home in a tornado to take an injection in my eyeball. He's a better man than me that's for dang sure.

Dad had retina re-attachment surgery and he had a shot in the eye and then they sewed a Teflon band around his eye, while he was awake. I curled up in the fetal position hearing about it.

I believe I would have to be tied down enough to hold a mobile home in a tornado to take an injection in my eyeball. He's a better man than me that's for dang sure.

Dad had retina re-attachment surgery and he had a shot in the eye and then they sewed a Teflon band around his eye, while he was awake. I curled up in the fetal position hearing about it.

I understand the way you felt. I've rubbed my eyes so much today just thinking about it that my eyes are red now...:)

The generation your dad is in is tough. My grandpa years back blacked out and fell across a hot wood stove and when he came to was burnt from the chest down to his knees. His treatments were to go to doctor and seat in a hot tub for a period of rime and then they would take a scrub brush to the burnt skin. They done this for a couple of weeks and he never said much about it. That generation just never does complain about pain. My grandpa was 90 when he passed away a few years ago.

Kudos to him for still wanting to shoot.

Prayers sent for your fathers eyes get better soon.

I have an eye dz called lattis degeneration. Thickening of the fluid which leads to retinal tears and possible detachment. I have had 5 tears in my left eye. One tear was so large the dr had to numb the eye. He took this long curved needle and went through my eyelid and guided it to the back of my eye socket and injected the lidocaine behind my eye to numb the optic nerve. All this was done while I was wide awake. Yes, it was as horrible as it sounds.

I have drusen on both eyes. My grandmother had AMD, a cousin has AMD. Doc said for me to eat a lot of green leafy vegetables and do anything possible to protect my eyes from UV. I'll fight it off the best I can. I even wear my prescription sunglasses when hunting as needed.

Native and BTaylor...your fathers have brass cajones for sure!

dogdoc...just dang, man! Ouch.

I have an uncle that had a brain aneurysm and lost sight in one eye. His biggest worry was being able to shoot his rifles. They were more worried about the concussion rattling something loose in his brain then they were his eyes at the time. He was back to shooting 3 months after having his brain worked on and within two shoots was back to winning competitions. The resilience of a gunman! Proud to have men like your father still walking this earth guiding us with their wisdom.

I'm scheduled for cataract surgery on both eyes over the next two weeks. I have to admit to feeling a bit queasy when the doc explained the scalpel cuts in the eye - - but all that is pure kiddy play compared to what your folks went through. I do look forward to using binocs and hunting without eyeglasses though.

Back