Pond overflow 12" PVC pipe

RGrizzzz

Administrator
Staff member
My dad recent dug the small pond at our camp deeper. As part of the process, he was able to raise the bank some on the low side. Now that the bank is higher, the overflow pipe is too low. We need to raise the overflow about 12", with roughly 6" of overlap on the existing pipe. Does anyone have any thoughts on an economical way to do this? 12" PVC pipe comes in 10' lengths and is roughly $225 with another $50+ for the coupler.

You might try watching craigslist or other on-line market places for a piece of cut-off scrap 12" PVC. In the mean time, what if your did a Rube Goldberg temporary fix by buying a rubber coupler. You could sleeve it over by only 1". That won't give you the full 12" but it is a cheap solution. I doubt there would be much horizontal stress on the pipe. You may be able to get away with reusing the rubber coupler once you find a scrap piece of PVC.

Just thinking out loud...

Those are the two leading ideas, but haven't found any scrap pipe for sale. I'm not sure what applications use PVC that large.

You can see here how the pipe was cut, so we'd need probably 6" of overlap. Dad caught a bear going for a swim this weekend and playing with a Mallard decoy.

You can see here how the pipe was cut, so we'd need probably 6" of overlap. Dad caught a bear going for a swim this weekend and playing with a Mallard decoy.

IF your scrap is long enough, you can just cut the top off. I think I'd build some kind of cage for the top rather than doing that with the pipe.

My brother works for a large electrical contractor. They use giant PVC conduit for a lot of jobs and throw away the scrap. No time for Craigslist and whatnot. I would cruise by a construction site and offer the foreman a coffee for some scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother works for a large electrical contractor. They use giant PVC conduit for a lot of jobs and throw away the scrap. No time for Craigslist and whatnot. I would cruise by a construction site and offer the foreman a coffee for some scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What kind of installs are they doing? Just so I know what kind of companies to bug or what kind of jobsites to look for?

What kind of installs are they doing? Just so I know what kind of companies to bug or what kind of jobsites to look for?
Big. For 12" you are looking at a new Wal-Mart, school, or stadium. Maybe a big warehouse. My brother does a lot of hauling away material and would love to see someone take some off his hands. We've got stacks of 4-6" conduit at our place leftover from some of their jobs. Never had a need for bigger, but I've seen it.

And that goes for a lot of other materials as well. My wife used to be a construction foreman and we have snagged all kinds of materials from dumpsters.

How many feet of pipe do you need?

I bought belled ended pipe for my 100 foot long spillway pipe like this stuff:
pipe

note you need to use a slow setting PVC cement and be ready with a tractor bucket or something to push it together.

We only need roughly 2' of pipe. We managed to find a scrap last night locally! Now we just need to order a coupler :)

Back