Planting Brassicas in corn?

Double L

Next question to throw out to everyone. I'm trying to get away from spraying to kill all the weeds, so I'm gonna try crop roller crimping cover crops and to all ways have something on the fields to help get better soil. I have been looking into ways to accomplish this. So question for today is if i have the corn planted and when it is about knee high, if I were to remove 4 sections of my drill so I could drill brassicas in between the corn rows. Why would that not work? I was even thinking of adding a little clover and rye to the mix also. If this would work i wont have to build my own innerseeder. so I will gladly take any ones opinion.

Corn doesn't like competition, from weeds or anything else. Corn loves nitrogen. Brassica's love nitrogen and probably would compete with the corn for that. I think if you were to plant those 2 together, you might end up with something less than what you planned on. I wouldn't be afraid to broadcast clover in there and give that a try.

I'm with FarmerD on this one. Like was mentioned corn HATES competition from ANYTHING even corn! That is why spacing and row width is so important for getting max results out of corn. Like was also stated corn loves nitrogen and needs a good dose of it to perform well also, so planting something that will fight for that nutrient is a bad idea. All of that said.....you can still plant brassica and cereal grains in corn. You just have to do it once the corn is done growing. I do this all the time. Once the corn starts turning brown I walk every other row with a broadcaster with a mix of brassica and cereal grains and let the rain do the rest. This provides some additional food for the critters. I also do this in areas where the corn doesn't do well......just make sure you understand your game laws if you are trying to remove some of the stalks. You can also certainly plant clover as well, just remember that clover will produce nitrogen, but tends to keep it stored in it's root system until it dies. It will also compete for soil moisture. Something to consider may be planting strips of corn and strips of soybeans (soybeans being a legume will provide a summer and fall/winter food source and help provide some N for next years corn). I have done this as well. You can also broadcast brassica and cereal grains into standing beans once they start to yellow as well. Strips of beans in a standing corn field also make great shooting lanes if you plan ahead! I use a tiller and row planter and spray (gly) only once when the weeds start to challenge the crop. This may not work for you or fit into your goals, but there may be some information here to give you something to chew on. Good luck.

11986389_10207842867772962_3754490536975783087_n.jpg

I just left 6' wide rows in several spots inside the corn and made a single pass with the seeder I had then, which was a Woods PSS72. Both the corn and brassicas did very well.

Well guys as you may have picked up on I’m a little better at making sparks Than I am growing crops. Lol. My destination plot I’m planting 50’ strips 350 yards. 6 rows. 3 each I am trying this year to plant clover perimeter around all my plots and also about 40’ on the ends so I have room to turn tractor around and start planting other direction. The corn I just hate having bare ground when it’s done. You guys gave me some good ideas to try with it now.

I'm with the other guys, corn just doesn't like competition until it's about fully grown. I'm told big time farmers in the midwest are seeding rye into mature corn with airplanes...

I'm with the other guys, corn just doesn't like competition until it's about fully grown. I'm told big time farmers in the midwest are seeding rye into mature corn with airplanes...

This is what i was thinking of making something dumbed down to plant in corn later in summer.

Next question to throw out to everyone. I'm trying to get away from spraying to kill all the weeds, so I'm gonna try crop roller crimping cover crops and to all ways have something on the fields to help get better soil. I have been looking into ways to accomplish this. So question for today is if i have the corn planted and when it is about knee high, if I were to remove 4 sections of my drill so I could drill brassicas in between the corn rows. Why would that not work? I was even thinking of adding a little clover and rye to the mix also. If this would work i wont have to build my own innerseeder. so I will gladly take any ones opinion.

Yes, what youre talking about can work and does. Theres a critical weed free period, http://www.thompsonslimited.com/2015/05/19/critical-weed-free-period/, after it gets past then the corn will usually outpace the cover crop, but you have to have the right cover species, rye for example cant handle the shade. Ryegrass, crimson clover, and most brassicas do the best. Wider rows, like 36 or even 38 works better than narrower, N-S rows also do better than E-W, and of course the thinner the population the better, its all about the amount of light that gets to the ground, even the hybrid selection can play into it, a hybrid with thinner and more upright leaves works better.

I'm doing some experiments in our commercial corn, probably basing most mixes off ryegrass, and some aggressive cowpeas, Black cowpeas IIRC, the idea is to have the cowpeas vine up the corn and not go dormant under the canopy. I spread some last year with a 4 wheeler spreader, this year I'm doing the same as your thinking and using a drill with meters blocked off. The other day I was at the local equipment jockey and he had a bunch of air drill units, with 15" double disks and a packing wheel all mounted on a parallel linkage. Perfect for building an innerseeder when I ever get around to it, asked him how much he wanted, and he told me $5/unit told him Id take 24, enough to put 2 units per row for 12 rows. The disks are shot, but I have some we just took off our 12 row planter that weren't good enough for corn and beans, but will be perfect for those. Now all I need is a Valmar/Gandy/Hiniker air seeder box and I can put it together, that and I need the federal crop insurance to approve innerseeding in my area.

I'm not worried about the ryegrass here, we don't grow wheat or any other small grains in this area, it has some attributes that are favorable in my clay soils, doesn't hold up N like rye does and from what I understand 9 out of 10 years will winterkill in my area.

Edit: Forgot to add that I would shoot for planting about the V4-V5 ( 4-5 full leaves out) that should give it the best chance of getting enough growth to survive under the canopy, but wont affect the corn

550242dd07c97e112399a0151f5ddf92.jpg
this is the drill I have. I was wondering if I were to chain up sections that would be hitting my corn rows. “I’ll be using a 4 row corn planter to plant the corn earlier”. I can us the lift assist and my draft arms to manipulate the angle of drill to lightly put a clover / brassica in the corn when corn is about knee high. Does this even sound like a workable idea??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
550242dd07c97e112399a0151f5ddf92.jpg
this is the drill I have. I was wondering if I were to chain up sections that would be hitting my corn rows. “I’ll be using a 4 row corn planter to plant the corn earlier”. I can us the lift assist and my draft arms to manipulate the angle of drill to lightly put a clover / brassica in the corn when corn is about knee high. Does this even sound like a workable idea??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't know why it wouldn't as long as your lift assist wheels aren't running over corn rows, same with your tractor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back